The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a lot of posts about this but I’d like to find the stuff to upgrade my mom’s van (it’s a wheelchair-accessible van that I use to drive her around) so I could have a Bluetooth connection for my phone.

It currently has this basic radio without buttons for the Bluetooth, and no steering wheel controls.

I don’t need navigation or satellite but I’d like to get a Junkyard OEM radio with at least Bluetooth and the required module and microphone.
I’ve searched for similar threads but none seemed to have an exact answer to my question. Are radios from other Chrysler products with similar or identical faceplates and the same 3 letter codes interchangeable? What needs to be done? Do I need extra wiring from a junkyard vehicle?
What’s needed to upgraded to this one?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,202 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

This is a relatively easy addition, the main part that troubles people is the programming, you need programming to enable the Uconnect function. A dealer can do this for you as well.

For the radios, look for any Chrysler/Dodge vehicle with the high speed CAN system (Dodge journey pre 2011, Ram 1500 post 2009, DGCV/T&C post 2007, and a bunch of others, I do not have the list). If you'd like the BT streaming capability you need a 2011+ year radio as well as a 2011+ Uconnect module. A side note, pre 2011 the radios backlight and display color is green, and post 2011 including 2011 is blue. It's a small detail.

As for the steering wheel audio controls, you will need the harness piece within the steering wheel itself, and the outer part with the buttons mounted to it. Programming is also necessary for these to work.

The rest of the install is quite straightforward, no programming is needed for the auto mirror to work, and the power plug for it is by the E-brake, you just need the "extension piece" that plugs into it and runs all the way to the auto mirror. The Uconnect wiring is fairly easy also, plugs into the back of the radio then all the wiring is accessible from the driver footwell, and the mike wires connect to the auto mirror wiring behind the driver A-pillar.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. You say I need a pre-2012 radio ? My mom’s van is a 2012.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,202 Posts
Thanks for your reply. You say I need a pre-2012 radio ? My mom’s van is a 2012.
It depends. If you want BT audio streaming you need post 2011, if you don't care you can grab a pre 2011 one as well, again, you have the different color and no BT audio streaming. There are plenty junkyard 2008 and up vans at the yards now, and finding a non touch screen radio shouldn't be too difficult. I have seen a handful 2011+ radios as well

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don’t stream much but I’d rather find the ones that can. I’ll concentrate my searches on 2012 or newer!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts