The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two ODB readers and neither can communicate with my 2006 Grand Caravan. They will power up. They will communicate in other vehicles. They both attempt to try a list of communication protocols but fail. I can retrieve DTC via the ignition method (cycle key 3 times)

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have two ODB readers and neither can communicate with my 2006 Grand Caravan. They will power up. They will communicate in other vehicles. They both attempt to try a list of communication protocols but fail. I can retrieve DTC via the ignition method (cycle key 3 times)

View attachment 59404

View attachment 59403
Check the cigarette lighter fuze

Mike S Grand caravan 3.3

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Caravan SX
737 Posts
Our vans need OBD-2 readers. The very old OBD readers will not work.

If those are OBD-2, try this, turn the key forward without starting the engine. Then plug in the OBD-2 readers to pull codes.

If your readers will work in other vehicles, then the van's ECM/PCM module could be going bad.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These are ODB2 scanners as pictured. Since they are powered, likely not a fuse; fuses all look good upon inspection. As stated from the start, these scanners work in my other car. I tried a third ODB2 scanner and it also won't talk. I towed this van to my Chrysler tech's home shop and his scan tool works! He'll troubleshoot further. Next time, I'll be more intentional about the ignition position, but I swear I tried in all positions. I can try this again when I get the van back.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I recently returned an ELM327 dongle because it wouldn't work on my 2002 TnC. I got whacked $7 on Amazon because I returned "A Computer" what a scam... Amazon has been sucking for the last few years.

Walmart, while it does have its inherent problems, at least with a little effort, they are more likely to do the right thing.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Prices on amazon can be way high. For example:

CDN $59.97 (RIP-OFF)
Locally here, $38.97, at the most $47.97 (CTC)
$59.97 will get me more than 4 cans, almost 5 cans, instead of 3 cans.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
967 Posts
I never got a bad ELM327 from eBay. Also never paid more than $5. Have one in every OBD2 car I and my family own. Amazon hasn't had good pricing for at least 10 years now. eBay has all the good deals.

OP's issue is likely just an old scanner. Check if it has a firmware update available.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts