The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The van doesn’t have reverse but has low. However when I unplug the relay I still have every gear but reverse and it drives and shifts perfectly fine. I’m under the assumption by unplugging the relay I should only have L/R available to me.

Note: TCM was replaced w/ one from junk yard and no change.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
My reverse went out.
When I first got the van, my first van, and first front wheel drive ownership.... It seemed when I was on Florida grass over sand, and when I gave it the gas to get her moving, it felt as the tires were slipping. It eventually got worse.

Worse to the point that I could idle back out of a parking spot, but if I gave it pedal, the clutches slipped.

It could be a couple of things. Something in the valve body, something electrical, or perhaps the reverse piston seal is bypassing.

If you can google the Chrysler factory manual, there is a procedure for checking the hydraulic pressure for each function. If you put a gauge on that test port and you don't even get a momentary spike in pressure, I'd believe that it is either the valve body or perhaps electrical.

Also, some of the more advanced "Professional" DRBIII scanners have the ability to read/access the TCM. I used a SnapOn from my friends shop.

My transmission, I ended up rebuilding it and found visibly burnt and worn clutches, but it seems your thing happened suddenly.

Let us know what you find and how you fix it... I love to hear final outcomes.
** try and figure it out without blindly throwing parts at it. Parts cannon gets expensive, fast.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Year, make, model

[hint, I put that info in the signature because i am horrible about remembering to do that]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply Gator. I appreciate your willingness to always answer posts. So first and foremost thank you.

Its an 01.

What type of gauge are you referring to? A pressure/vacuum gauge, multimeter or something else? I will look back at the alldata and see if it has the procedure process listed.

·
Registered
801 Posts
first, check fluid

have you done any fluid changes or "flushes" recently? what fluid did you use?

any CELs?

is it in limp mode?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
No CEL. It’s not in limp mode. Was on freeway earlier doing 75 at -2000 rpm. So I’m positive the forward gearing is working as it should. It makes every shift from L-D perfectly fine w/o shudder. Pulled fuse and still have every gear except R. Should only have L and R. That makes me think that it might not be getting the proper fluid pressure at reverse because the other circuits are open when they should be closed(maybe ?) Almost thinking a ground is open.(maybe?) I’m not that good of a technician when it comes to diagnosing individual electric circuits.

I dropped the pan last night and there where no metal shards to be found. Fluid still had that fish smell to it, it didn’t smell burnt. It wasn’t red anymore but wasn’t brown either. I replaced the 4.5 qt that drained out last night w/new ATF+4 and no change.

The filter was changed about 20,000 miles ago. Also added an external cooler at that point. Fluid was replaced w/ATF4 as well.

·
Registered
Chrysler T&C Limited 3.8, 2007, 99000 miles
5 Posts
Hi,
I found on this forum link to the obd2 scanner soft. It has ability to read gear lever position - maybe that give an opportunity to point out if it is electrical or mechanical problem.
Regards
Rafal

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bump:

So I disconnected the shift solenoid and TCM each from there wiring harnesses to spray electrical contact cleaner on the plug and component itself. I figured since I had the solenoid disconnected that I’d start it up and see what gears would be available to me. Same as before; everything BUT reverse(PD3L) While I had them disconnected I jacked up the front of the van and put it in reverse the wheels spun and spun faster as I stepped on the throttle. However once I lower the van down and try to reverse out it’s really not moving anywhere. Idk if the torque converter isn’t engaging or what? I did take it out for a spin w/having the shift solenoid itself disconnected along w/the relay and the van was driving as if they were still connected. Every gear available, every shift was made. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Thanks for the reply Gator. I appreciate your willingness to always answer posts. So first and foremost thank you.

Its an 01.

What type of gauge are you referring to? A pressure/vacuum gauge, multimeter or something else? I will look back at the alldata and see if it has the procedure process listed.
I believe the procedure has you check the hydraulic pressure at four to six ports located just below the solenoid pack/

There are plugs filling the test holes. If I were a transmission shop I would have some 1/8 inch NPT to flare #4 AN fittings and caps, a length of 1/4 hose with AN4 a pressure gauge (in the expected range) attached other end. I'd install all the flare fitting with caps for convenience and then follow the FSM procedure.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
See if this read may help you;

A-604 (and / or) 41TE is most of our transmissions. Other variations are AWD [A604/41AE] (has a PTO on the differential to power the rear wheels) and even some of the Jeeps use a variation of this transmission although it is a straight line conventional configuration[ A606/42LE, 42RLE]. The guts are all basically similar.

The family I believe is UltraDrive and replace the TorqueFlight
More information on Wikipedia but perhaps this infor above will help you find the answer you search for.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah, as I recall, the adapter for the pressure taps is kind of oddball. Looking back in my e-mails, it looks like I bought it from eBay, and it worked with an inexpensive tester that I also bought on eBay. Here's the link for the adapter:

Yes, by all means rule out anything electrical, but these only have 2 reverse clutches and 1 steel in the input drum, and they can wear out.

MT

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Yeah, as I recall, the adapter for the pressure taps is kind of oddball. Looking back in my e-mails, it looks like I bought it from eBay, and it worked with an inexpensive tester that I also bought on eBay. Here's the link for the adapter:

Yes, by all means rule out anything electrical, but these only have 2 reverse clutches and 1 steel in the input drum, and they can wear out.

MT
That was mine, smoked out reverse clutches.

I'll have to always remember to not back up a trailer full of cement blocks, uphill, on soft soil.
Whoa... Take it easy with reverse!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I believe the A604/41TE was the first adaptive learning tranny when it came out in 1989. It is a very efficient design, clutch-to-clutch (no bands, so no servos), and usually doesn't take an expert to work on, if you're motivated. Another advantage is that CVI data can be pulled with a professional scanner (unfortunately not for reverse). The main downside, IMHO, is that it is not beefy enough for heavy minivans with pretty powerful V6s. Planetaries blow up, and the OD clutches are almost always visibly worn; they come on in 3rd and stay on in 4th. In the 41TE designation, the '1' calls out that it's pretty light duty. Compare that to the 42LE in the Intrepid and other LHs; it is very similar to the 41TE except that it is mounted inline. So there the '2' means that it is more beefy than a minivan tranny.

MT

·
Registered
92 Posts
Oh, and let's not forget a true gift from the Mopar engineers; an externally mounted solenoid pack which also includes the pressure switches. The 42s don't have that,

D.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,712 Posts
Those numbers aren't to indicate strength. Was that some kind of sarcastic joke? They only indicate model/driveline configuration.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Yeah, Somewhere, I believe the Wiki text I read that the x1TE, x2LE being torque factor or specification. The 42LE in jeep wrangler.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts