The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,122 Posts
The trans guy didn't say anything, just says the way they are built isn't the greatest. My regular mechanic doesn't do trans work, he isn't a fan of Chrysler.

At this point, the trans guy is suggesting dropping the pan to see what's there and then going from there. Debating whether to proceed. Do you think that would help assess?
The 6 speed was based on the 4 speed electronic transmission. As far as electronic transmissions go, it among the best, certainly not as troublesome as those with more speeds. It's reputation is pretty good. You only hear about the bad ones. There's lots of good ones out there. Just ask LEVY. He doesn't even have the fluid and filter changed and his two 62TE transmissions perform flawlessly (unless they collide with a rock :))

Yes, drop the pan to see what's going on there, if anything. A clogged filter could mean the transmission is grenading. There's no other reason for the filter to be dirty. There's no air dust or combustion byproducts in a transmission. Then again, the filter is there to protect the transmission from whatever. Perhaps something wrong with the filter itself, a bad product. Has he fluid ever been changed? by a reputable Shop?

Then you have to be prepared for "what's next?'. A Jasper rebuilt transmission, or sorting out the electrical. Your transmission guy seems to be offering the correct approach.

Reactions: LEVY

·
Banned
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
1,067 Posts
Drip the pan and check it out. If they find metal then it's done. If all they find is nasty fluid and a clogged filter, try a filter and fluid change and see if that works. If fluid looks fine and filter is not clogged the problem is in there deep and the shop will likely want to go ahead with the rebuild.

Does the trans shop offer a warranty on their work? Jasper offers a 3 year/100k mile warranty. The one I did last month for a customer was $2,700 plus labor.

·
Premium Member
2009 Chrysler Town and Country
389 Posts
I feel for you your between a rock and a hard spot. It's a judgement call . I just had the tranny rebuilt in my 09 . While it was in the shop I happened across the 10 .

I had so much in the 9 not rebuilding wasn't an option so I went for it . After I discovered and acquired the 10 I went to the rebuilder AAMOCO and told him to just find a used unit because I was going to sell it

He really didn't want to do it he talked me into the rebuild he knocked the price down tremendously .Knowing I wasn't in a big hurry for it he even knock more off .

And gave me a two year warranty .

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sounds to me like your torque converter issue from 5-9 months ago came back to haunt you. A 62TE will operate without the torque converter clutch locking up. But it will runn hotter and will deposit material in the oil. This could have clogged you trans filter.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The 6 speed was based on the 4 speed electronic transmission. As far as electronic transmissions go, it among the best, certainly not as troublesome as those with more speeds. It's reputation is pretty good. You only hear about the bad ones. There's lots of good ones out there. Just ask LEVY. He doesn't even have the fluid and filter changed and his two 62TE transmissions perform flawlessly (unless they collide with a rock :))

Yes, drop the pan to see what's going on there, if anything. A clogged filter could mean the transmission is grenading. There's no other reason for the filter to be dirty. There's no air dust or combustion byproducts in a transmission. Then again, the filter is there to protect the transmission from whatever. Perhaps something wrong with the filter itself, a bad product. Has he fluid ever been changed? by a reputable Shop?

Then you have to be prepared for "what's next?'. A Jasper rebuilt transmission, or sorting out the electrical. Your transmission guy seems to be offering the correct approach.
Trans filter had never been change and never flushed.

He's dropping the pan Monday and will let me know what he sees.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I feel for you your between a rock and a hard spot. It's a judgement call . I just had the tranny rebuilt in my 09 . While it was in the shop I happened across the 10 .

I had so much in the 9 not rebuilding wasn't an option so I went for it . After I discovered and acquired the 10 I went to the rebuilder AAMOCO and told him to just find a used unit because I was going to sell it

He really didn't want to do it he talked me into the rebuild he knocked the price down tremendously .Knowing I wasn't in a big hurry for it he even knock more off .

And gave me a two year warranty .
Yeah, totally stuck on this one. I suppose because I just dropped about 3k, I don't know that I can justify another $2-3k. I also will need tires so that's factoring in too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Sounds to me like your torque converter issue from 5-9 months ago came back to haunt you. A 62TE will operate without the torque converter clutch locking up. But it will runn hotter and will deposit material in the oil. This could have clogged you trans filter.
Yeah, that's got me curious. Although, I never had any symptoms of a trans issue when that code popped up and the fact it went off on its own and stayed off is confusing too.
So, if that was the case, is there a way to fix this without a new trans?

·
Banned
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
1,067 Posts
Do you know what codes it threw? In your first post you said you "think it's p0944", but do you actually know that now?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Do you know what codes it threw? In your first post you said you "think it's p0944", but do you actually know that now?
I asked him for the codes and he said he "had them written down", he didn't know off the top of his head. He rattled off a couple initially, hydraulic pressure was one of them so I looked it up and found the P0944 code, which is exactly what I was experiencing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Trans filter had never been change and never flushed.

He's dropping the pan Monday and will let me know what he sees.
Well, he dropped the pan. He said there was crap in the pan but it wasn't as bad as he thought it would be. The filter looked a bit clogged. Swapped out the filter and drove it a bit. Lights went off. He said that the new filter might get me some time. Said it sounds "a **** of a lot better." He said now I just need to figure out what I want to do next. It needs new tires too so I know there's about $2-3k in work. Not sure it's worth it. Thoughts?

·
Banned
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
1,067 Posts
Drive it for a while and see how it feels. If it's shifting right and doesn't throw a code anymore, you may have dodged the bullet. I would start saving up just in case.

Reactions: TC2011

·
Super Moderator
25,122 Posts
That's good news. Any idea what the dirt was? Did somebody put peanuts down the dipstick tube? Those damn squirrels and their nuts.

Reactions: 06DGC

·
Registered
81 Posts
Don’t know if the 2008 owners manual says the same. 2014 manual says 10 years or 150,000 miles to change trans filter.
Having owned several Chrysler minivans over the past 20 years they all break. Some are more expensive to fix than others. That’s why I bought the Maximum Lifetime Warranty for the 2014. So far only $1200 in warranty work on the 2014.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I agree with Levy, a plugged filter at 80K is pretty unusual. 80K would be good territory for a filter and fluid service anyway. Putting the wrong fluid in these new generation transmissions can cause premature failure. I have 178K on my third gen and no problems with the transmission ever (pretty much all city driving). I have had a mechanic mention to me that the solenoid packs on the older gen vans can cause problems but not heard about the newer versions. Could be that...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
That's good news. Any idea what the dirt was? Did somebody put peanuts down the dipstick tube? Those damn squirrels and their nuts.
I asked him this yesterday and he gave me a very vague response of "It was half and half" ok? half "crap," half oil? I don't know. He wasn't giving me much more information and kept beating around my questions.

I do notice when I first start it up it feels a little shaky, not terrible though, and the RPMs kinda take a minute to regulate. Not sure if this is normal and I never noticed it? I'm more in tune with things lately.

These are the codes that he got:

P083B
P084B
P0944

Any better indication of what this might mean?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I asked him this yesterday and he gave me a very vague response of "It was half and half" ok? half "crap," half oil? I don't know. He wasn't giving me much more information and kept beating around my questions.

I do notice when I first start it up it feels a little shaky, not terrible though, and the RPMs kinda take a minute to regulate. Not sure if this is normal and I never noticed it? I'm more in tune with things lately.

These are the codes that he got:

P083B
P084B
P0944

Any better indication of what this might mean?
Those codes together imply that the fluid level was low enough or the filter plugged enough that the pump was not able to supply adequate pressure. There's a chance this could be a failing pressure sensor as well though. Why didn't the guy pull live data? He should have looked to see what the reported line pressure actually was, as well as the voltage across the sensor. It's like nobody even tries anymore.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had 2 Chrysler mInivans back-to-back....1992 Chrysler T&C (new), and a 2002 T&C (used w/40k on the clock)...the trans in the 1992 failed (funky delayed shifts) at 69K...(replaced under the old "7/70" warranty) and the trans in the 2002 failed at about 97K (planetary gear set broke). I put a Jasper in it and traded it at about 195K with no more trans issues. Jasper is great way to go...rebuilt with better parts for known weak areas of Chrysler transmissions, and done in "white room/clean room" conditions by people that only do transmissions every day. Transmissions too complex for most "local mechanic rebuilds" nowadays IMHO.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts