The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
FWIW, same experience with my 2013 Grand Caravan with RHB radio. All the way through to the end and get the PND Update Complete message. But maps are still 2012 vintage. Tech support at Garmin / Here was useless, actually ambivalent.

The whole update process is like something from the 1980s except using SD Cards instead of floppy disks. Even if it worked, it is likely many people would make a mistake in one of the steps.

With what I paid given the exchange rate, I could have bought a standalone GPS with lifetime map updates. Plus my time so far. The van goes into the dealer on Monday for another issue. Will see what they can do, but not optimistic given the comments above.

Someone at Chrysler should be tearing a strip off Garmin / Here. They should not have released the update with the process it requires.

·
Super Moderator
4,826 Posts
Correct, the update has not worked for anyone yet.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My feeling is that Garmin are the only people who know what the problem is and are working on it. The people at HERE apparently were contracted by Chrysler to sell and provide the update. I imagine with data from Garmin. Garmin told me that a third party did not properly load the SD card. They promised to provide the missing data by e-mail in a few days.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just wanted to post that I made a complaint directly to HERE, they opened a case, and with the use of this thread, proved to them that they are selling junk navigation "updates". They provided to me a return address and will refund my $149. So please, use this information and they should do what's right.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Fetterjohn,

How did you reach HERE? I am having trouble getting someone to speak to or answer emails.

I had my van in for service on a different problem the other day and asked about the maps. The counter person and the service foreman were polite and took information from me, but could offer no help. They did not know anything about the update procedures or the problems. They said they would get back to me, but I have not heard anything and was not really optimistic that I would.

I would really prefer to get the maps updated rather than my money back. This is a very basic function and it should work. This should be a small money maker for Chrysler. All they need to do is make it easy to do the update (and probably drop the price a bit). Lost opportunity on their part.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Unfortunately it seems they don't really care about this. Offloaded to HERE, and HERE doesn't really care either.
Just another reason contributing to me getting rid of my 2012 T&C for a Honda or Toyota. Too many little issues with my first time Chrysler.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Jkmacr...I'll look for the email tonight. I replied directly to the email i got when i ordered the update. It was fairly simple...they didn't argue much.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just got this e-mail from Garmin:

We have a workaround fix for your Chrysler map update issue. As you may already know the activation webpage hosted by HERE Maps is not writing the appropriate activation files to your update media. We have attempted to manually create these files and would like you to try the process.

Please try the following instructions:

Confirm the Chrysler Application version:
Press Menu on the right side of the unit
Touch System Setup
Touch System Information
Confirm Application version 50.01.01
Confirm the Garmin SW version:
Touch Nav
Touch Setting
Touch System
Touch About
Confirm SW version 5.11
Download the attached files to your desktop
Extract the gmapprom.gma and gmapprom.unl files to your desktop
Copy the extracted files to the Garmin folder on your map update SD Card
Remove the SD Card from your computer
Start your vehicle
Load the Navigation screen
Insert the SD Card + USB adapter
Wait for the device to read files (Should take around 10 – 15 min)
If you get a black screen or an error message:
Unplug the USB ( should get PND did not update if you had a black screen)
Touch OK
Reinsert USB (Do not reboot the device)
Allow the device to read the files for another 10 – 15 min.
You should get a prompt to update maps
If you have any trouble with the steps please reply to this message with your contact information and a time to call, or call our support line at 1-855-607-2536, Mon – Fri 8AM – 6PM Central time. You will need to have access to your computer and the vehicle to update.

Please let us know if the update was successful so we can mark you off the list.

With Best Regards,

Joshua

·
Registered
41 Posts
Next week turned into a month but the update is done! I used the SD cards from Garmin and followed the instructions I posted earlier and it works as it should.

·
Registered
4 Posts
JM - Same question as FattyAcid - How did you reach Garmin and get them to send you the files?

HERE and Chrysler have been useless in trying to solve the problem.

John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

I was able to successfully update the maps using the same procedure as JM
- Contact Garmin
- Provide Garmin with the identification information for the vehicle radio and maps update.
- Garmin emails the files to unlock the update
- Save files to the maps SD card - THIS IS THE STEP WHERE THE HERE ONLINE SYSTEM IS FAILING. The files are never written to the SD card.
- Update the maps in the vehicle.

Full details are in JM's post. You do need to get the files specific for your radio.

Overall a very frustrating process with HERE and Chrysler, but Garmin was quick to help when I reached them.

Regards,
John

·
Registered
119 Posts
Glad you guys got it to work. Nothing will work with mine. Garmin support provided the files but they don't work. I've got two different sets of media from Here with no avail. Asked my dealer about it and they are clueless as to it also. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Glad you guys got it to work. Nothing will work with mine. Garmin support provided the files but they don't work. I've got two different sets of media from Here with no avail. Asked my dealer about it and they are clueless as to it also. Very frustrating.
Tried doing the 2019 map update. No go. If Garmin would include a simple and understandable sheet of instructions. It was easier and cheaper to do a free lifetime maps update on a refurbished Garmin gps. I doubt if all these years later there is a simple and understandable way to update maps on 430N

121 - 138 of 138 Posts