1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
562 Posts
I didn't get navigation with my 2013 T/C and thought I'd look into getting it put on. The dealer wanted almost $2,000.00 then I hear of how much it cost to upgrade the maps and decided I wasn't going to spend that kind of money. Well I bought my first smart phone. A cheap $59.00 Nokia with Windows. I see it has navigation on it, along with allowing me to program in things like how I want to travel, on highways, toll roads, etc. It even tells me the speed limit of the road I'm on, distance to my destination, how long it should take to get there and how many miles before I have to turn and shows me what road to look for on my next turn, etc. I get voice commands and it doesn't use any minutes. I set it on the steering column and lean it up against the dash where the info center is and it stays there pretty well. I can up date it for free. I can't believe what these smart phones can do and this phone cost me a couple of dollars less than my dumb phone. Plus it has Cortana, my personal assistant that I can have her make my calls, type my texts and look up my web addresses without typing them. All for less than $30.00 a month of Consumer Cellular. I can't understand how these auto companies can get away selling navigation so high, when you can get it on your phone so cheap.

·
Registered
230 Posts
+1 to what marine1 said. I did not get nav on my 2010, nor am I getting it on my new 2015. Three reasons:

1. I can read a map and, if I really want a nav system;
2. For $5.00 for the app and $12.00 for the maps I got Mireo Don't Panic and the full set of Tom Tom maps for North America. I spent about $40.00 on a windshield suction mount, for a total of about $55.00, compared to the $475.00 to get the nav on a model that comes with the 430 standard; and
3. $150.00 for the map updates, I get free updates with my $5.00 app.:angry:

·
Super Moderator
6,291 Posts
I didn't get navigation with my 2013 T/C and thought I'd look into getting it put on. The dealer wanted almost $2,000.00 then I hear of how much it cost to upgrade the maps and decided I wasn't going to spend that kind of money. Well I bought my first smart phone. A cheap $59.00 Nokia with Windows. I see it has navigation on it, along with allowing me to program in things like how I want to travel, on highways, toll roads, etc. It even tells me the speed limit of the road I'm on, distance to my destination, how long it should take to get there and how many miles before I have to turn and shows me what road to look for on my next turn, etc. I get voice commands and it doesn't use any minutes. I set it on the steering column and lean it up against the dash where the info center is and it stays there pretty well. I can up date it for free. I can't believe what these smart phones can do and this phone cost me a couple of dollars less than my dumb phone. Plus it has Cortana, my personal assistant that I can have her make my calls, type my texts and look up my web addresses without typing them. All for less than $30.00 a month of Consumer Cellular. I can't understand how these auto companies can get away selling navigation so high, when you can get it on your phone so cheap.
That's what I did with my Nexus 5 last February when we had the rental T&C without GPS. It served a purpose, but I much prefer the indash GPS

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am replacing my uconnect with a Pioneer unit with Carplay. But lots of car forums do group buys where they pass around the disc. So I'd just find a group of people that can use the maps, split the cost and then mail it around.

·
Super Moderator
4,826 Posts
My Limited came with the 430N standard. This is the first vehicle I have had with Nav it in.
I can say I really like it.

1, no add on gadgets or cords to deal with and no suction cup marks on the windshield.
2, It talks to me through the vehicle speakers so no excuses like "I had the Sat radio jamming and missed the Garmin talking to me".
3, the directions are also shown in the EVIC so you can turn the radio off and still get the turn by turn arrows.
4, the pictures it shows of the up coming lanes and on/off ramps are very realistic.
5, it has a travel link section with weather,gas prices,store locator etc at a press of a button.

There are no updates available for the 2013/14 vehicles with the 430N yet so I don't know how much it will cost to do it yet.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
744 Posts
just purchased a $100 garmin with FREE updates for life...saves $895.....always driving with someone on trips so no need to have in dash....its used at most 3-5 times a year anyhow....most trips are local....although wish I did the 1994 cross country trips...probably the most inflated option on the town and country.....

·
Registered
110 Posts
I am replacing my uconnect with a Pioneer unit with Carplay. But lots of car forums do group buys where they pass around the disc. So I'd just find a group of people that can use the maps, split the cost and then mail it around.
That's interesting. I wonder if the number of disc downloads is limited.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I just used a garmin that came with free lifetime updates and traffic. my last car had built in nav, it was nice but the updates are expensive. I only used it when traveling out of state, so a garmin in the T&C works fine. I might look to a way to hard wire it and hide the wiring later down the road if i find myself needing it more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2008 T/C Chrysler Limited with navigation which uses a paid for Sirius Traffic. I am also the owner of a Garmin 3797 with traffic. The Sirius Traffic is much faster in rerouting me for problems on the road over my expensive Garmin. I also just bought a 2014 T/C Limited with the new Garmin maps installed. Guess what, no way to get Sirius Traffic on it. The early brochures for the T/C listed traffic as one of the options included in the package. Sirius Traffic is really great.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I'd have to look again, but I thought Travel Link had Traffic.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My Limited came with the 430N standard. This is the first vehicle I have had with Nav it in.
I can say I really like it.

1, no add on gadgets or cords to deal with and no suction cup marks on the windshield.
2, It talks to me through the vehicle speakers so no excuses like "I had the Sat radio jamming and missed the Garmin talking to me".
3, the directions are also shown in the EVIC so you can turn the radio off and still get the turn by turn arrows.
4, the pictures it shows of the up coming lanes and on/off ramps are very realistic.
5, it has a travel link section with weather,gas prices,store locator etc at a press of a button.

There are no updates available for the 2013/14 vehicles with the 430N yet so I don't know how much it will cost to do it yet.
My first vehicle as well with built in Nav and I'm in 100% agreement with 1994 Sport. I also do not own a smart phone as I prefer the smaller size of my old fashioned flip phone (and no extra data/wireless fees), which works very well with the voice recognition and through the radio. Also I need my reading glasses to see smart phone Nav while I do not with the larger in dash unit and EVIC postings

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 2008 T/C Chrysler Limited with navigation which uses a paid for Sirius Traffic. I am also the owner of a Garmin 3797 with traffic. The Sirius Traffic is much faster in rerouting me for problems on the road over my expensive Garmin. I also just bought a 2014 T/C Limited with the new Garmin maps installed. Guess what, no way to get Sirius Traffic on it. The early brochures for the T/C listed traffic as one of the options included in the package. Sirius Traffic is really great.
My 2014 has Sirius Travel Link as part of the Sirius trial package. I believe it has traffic but one of the Sirius radio channels also has traffic for my area.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any updates for the RHR system?

Also, is there by any chance that anyone here has a copy of the 2015 navigation maps for the rhr system? Its like $150 from the site.. Anyone know where i can download it and if its possible to use it on any system?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I don't know if this is of interest, but Garmin seems to be having a sale - $89.95 for lifetime maps, and $49.95 for a one-time update.

http://www.garmin.com/en-US/maps/updates/?/automotive/purchase&utm_source=CJ&utm_medium=Text&utm_campaign=Map

Or it's too early in the morning and this is not for Chrysler at all. When I tried to get a price for the Chrysler, I was redirected to: http://chryslergroup.navigation.com/cms/page.recentupdate/en_US/ChryslerNA/USD and told "Our records indicate you have the most recent map update for your vehicle. The next available update is scheduled for release in mid-October 2014. Please check back later." This after my 430N informed me I needed an update. :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Anyone with the non garmin navigation system ordered the 2015 maps yet? Damn so expensive! $150 for a update :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Recently decided to update my mapping software, as my van is a 2008. I do a lot of driving in unfamiliar areas, so I figured it's worth the pricey $152 for the new maps. The software arrived in just a few days, but the package was partially opened. All else seemed ok, so I began the install per the included instructions.
It says the vehicle should be in the Ignition "ON" position, but not running. I did this, and inserted the first disc to upgrade the system files. Everything seemed to go well, but it took almost an hour to install.
Then I began the Map Data upgrade. Ignition "ON", insert disc, enter the included PIN number and got it started. I knew this was going to take about an hour (it tells you so in the prompts), so I went to go eat dinner. I came back to find my otherwise good battery dead as a stone, and the software still in the drive. Not a good indicator.
Got out the battery charger and charged the battery. Got the van running again, but my system is now useless. It will not respond to any input from the control panel, the radio is on, but the controls don't work. The install disc did nothing to recover from the failed install, and it won't even let me eject the disc. Time to make use of the 24 hour support listed on the web site. Don't you believe it. They are only there for you during normal business hours. That 24 hour support they tout on the website is pure BS.
If anyone has run in to this situation, and knows the fix for it, please let me know. I planned on using my vehicle today if I can get this mess fixed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts