The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

My rental - 2011 Grand Cherokee

7K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  andyg 
#1 ·
While the 2010 T&C is in the body shop getting the hail damage repaired, I have for my rental, a 2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x2 with the 3.6L Pentastar V6 in Bright Silver.

I just thought I'd share my thoughts...

First, the body looks great! Gets lots of attention. The whole outside redesign is really good.
Second, the interior is nice. Seats are supportive, but not firm, the new 'thick' steering wheel (that most all 2011 Chry Co products have) is my favorite steering wheel ever. All things are laid out in a logical place, gear shift is in a convenient position, dash lights up well at night, kids are happy with the rear seat. :thumb:
Third, well... it drives like a dream. Transmission shifts smooth, engine has plenty of throttle response and is silky smooth, handles well, rides great.

My wife and I have owned right at 17 vehicles in the 15 years we've been married. She always likes what ever I buy, but has never really 'wanted' anything. Well last night, her driving home from going out to eat, she looks over at me and says 'Man I love this. So smooth, rides so well, I'd have it over my van'. We've had a van since 1999... we are 'van people'... we both love vans... vans are awesome... but that tells you how good the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee is. My wife, who would throw rocks at all things Jeep 2 years ago, would own one.

Long post short... we like it. A lot. :thumb:

See less See more
#2 ·
It is good to know that with that total redo they have hit a home run.
When we were buying our van, I pointed out the new Durango to my wife. She seemed impressed just by the looks. It is based on the same chassis as the Cherokee. I bet it drives just as nice.

#3 ·
Jeeps rule.
Bet it's quieter, smoother riding and more comfortable than my 2003 Jeep Wrangler by a smidgen :lol:

#4 ·
Well last Wednesday we got the van back, so we turned in the Jeep.

Final thoughts. I'm impressed. The fuel economy was 1 MPG better than the van during it's tenure with us, averaging right at 20. It is a very nice, well improved vehicle.

And yes, the Durango and Grand Cherokee are pretty much the same. The owner of our dealership was driving a 2011 Durango 'Crew' AWD fully loaded, except for it had the 3.6L Pentastar and not the HEMI. He has for his other demo a 2009 SRT-8 Challenger (pistol grip 6 speed and all) in B-5 (Petty) blue. He drag raced in his younger years, he still 'makes one earn it's keep', so he likes power. He was averaging 22.2 MPG in the Durango. I am VERY impressed with that. Especially the way he drives (a lot like me and Andy G :lol:)

#5 ·
And yes, the Durango and Grand Cherokee are pretty much the same. The owner of our dealership was driving a 2011 Durango 'Crew' AWD fully loaded, except for it had the 3.6L Pentastar and not the HEMI. He has for his other demo a 2009 SRT-8 Challenger (pistol grip 6 speed and all) in B-5 (Petty) blue. He drag raced in his younger years, he still 'makes one earn it's keep', so he likes power. He was averaging 22.2 MPG in the Durango. I am VERY impressed with that. Especially the way he drives (a lot like me and Andy G :lol:)
Basically he drives it like he stole it :lol:

and I gotta say I like the Grand Cherokee, while the design is completely new, you can look at previous generations in comparison and see some similarities, like the front end as a whole, while new, feels very much like a Grand Cherokee. I myself have never driven a Grand Cherokee, but I wouldn't doubt that the new one is the best in years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.