The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted sometime back with questions about lifting the front end of my Caravan. I still have work to do but the lift part is done.

Here's a before photo, notice the classic slope to the front and the distance between the top of the front tire and the fender. (Yes, I know it has a slightly low front tire which I plugged later on that day.)

Here's the after photo. The Caravan is now flat between the front and rear. Also notice the distance between the top of the tire and the fender.

This is a photo of the passenger side front axle after the installation of the Pacifica strut and spring assembly. When the front end is lifted off the ground the front passenger side drive axle rubs the bottom of the opening.

However, there's about an inch of free space when the Caravan is setting flat on it's wheels. I've driven it and it doesn't rub while driving on smooth asphalt roads but I'm concerned with it rubbing in a more rugged environment such as a heavily rutted gravel road, which we have lots of here in SE Arizona..

So, that's what's happening with my 2005 Caravan. I want to thank the board for the Pacifica strut/spring assembly lift idea, it actually worked better than I'd hoped! If anyone has any experience with my driveaxle clearance concern I'd sure like to hear it!

Steve

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Road Ripper, I'd forgotten when I wrote this. In my earlier post you mentioned having to shorten the sway bar end links. I have the photo you took and am wondering what the shortened length is. If it's any trouble for you I can measure the ones from the picture you took and work it out myself mathematically. The thing is I'm not a math guy, I'm a visual guy and the thought of having to figure it out from the picture leaves me cold (LOL!).

For now it's okay, because of rust (I lived in Illinois at the time) the sway bar link ends ends rusted up and broke off on my earlier 1998 Caravan. I never noticed any difference so I never bothered to fix them.

Steve

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
2,056 Posts
Give RR a mention like this, to get his attention: @Road Ripper

·
3rd gen > all others
3,395 Posts
Road Ripper, I'd forgotten when I wrote this. In my earlier post you mentioned having to shorten the sway bar end links. I have the photo you took and am wondering what the shortened length is. If it's any trouble for you I can measure the ones from the picture you took and work it out myself mathematically. The thing is I'm not a math guy, I'm a visual guy and the thought of having to figure it out from the picture leaves me cold (LOL!).

For now it's okay, because of rust (I lived in Illinois at the time) the sway bar link ends ends rusted up and broke off on my earlier 1998 Caravan. I never noticed any difference so I never bothered to fix them.

Steve
I was following, but kept forgetting to measure the parts I have. I still haven't measured the Windstar links I have. My extra one got packed in a box somewhere, so I'd have to measure the ones on the van. I'm guessing it's right around 10 1/2" long center to center, because it's right between the stock links and the shorter Focus links.

Stock end links = 12"

Ford Focus links = 9" (have a smaller stud diameter that requires cone seat nuts to tighten/not move around in holes)

*Measurements taken from center of mounting studs sticking straight out.

As for the CV shaft hitting the subframe, I saw that same scenario on a handicapped van that I got 2" tall strut spacers from. It was a 3rd gen van side ramp conversion with stock struts. It wasn't a problem on that van, but that van likely didn't go off-road.

My van is AWD and has a PTU/transfer case right behind the engine. The passenger CV axle in mine is short like the driver's side, with a loooong shaft going through the transfer case. This makes my front CV shafts the same lengths, so I don't have that issue of rubbing.

The front wheel drive Pacificas (like the ones we get the struts from) use a similar passenger side CV shaft, except without the transfer case. Some of them use the same transmission as our vans, and the hub spline/count is the same. They use a bracket with a carrier bearing that bolts to the back of the block where the awd van PTU would bolt to on the passenger side rear. I'm wondering if this shaft would fit okay lengthwise? If it would, there are two concerns:

1) The outer CV stub that goes into the hub does NOT have the tone wheel for the wheel speed sensor/ABS. This could probably be taken off and swapped with the van stub though.

2) Vans 2005 and newer did not come with AWD, so the bosses on the rear of the block might not have the threaded holes for the bracket to bolt to. AWD only came with the 3.8 engine here in the U.S., so the 3.3 may be even more unlikely to have them. Not enough room to drill and tap holes in the rear of the block, so this could be the deal-breaker.

I remember seeing another short wheelbase van that was lifted on here (front wheel drive), and he had to get spacers made to drop his front cradle/drivetrain an inch for clearance. He mainly wanted to correct the ball joint angles and reduce bump steer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dan, thanks for your help with my project. I've been driving my Caravan for almost a week now without problems from my pssenger side axle. This coming week I'm going to take it up a nearby mountain "road" that I've nicknamed El Camino de la Muerte on a two day camping trip. I'm anxious to see how it does. As for the end links, I'll be picking some up soon and altering them to fit. I'll cut a section out of the center of the link and thread each end of the two link stubs. Next I'l use a threaded piece (a whatchamacallit) with lock nuts on either end to attach the two link end end stubs together. That way I can adjust it if it's not correct the first time.

Thanks again for your help with project. BTW, I'm literally thrilled with how well it's been working out so far.

Steve

·
3rd gen > all others
3,395 Posts
If that doesn't work out, amelnik made his own adjustable end links and even posted the materials he ordered. He was having problems with stock links breaking the weld between the joint and the center rod section. Here's the thread:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts