The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Mode Door Moaning

3K views 21 replies 3 participants last post by  TAllen 
#1 ·
Just wanted to say hi before I go on my rant, and thanks for having me.
I replaced the mode door on my 2012 GC to try and fix an issue with HVAC system going into a diagnostic mode on startup. The defroster light would blink for about 2 minutes and would not allow any function of the system. When the diag was done, then I would get AC and heat just fine, but the mode would not change. It would come out of the vents and the defrost but any other buttons pressed didn't change that. Now here is the weird part. When the van is starting there is a very loud moaning coming from the actuator, so I replaced it. It does this through out the diag cycle. When I had it apart, I could feel the cam and levers and they moved "freely" but felt clunky not smooth as one would expect. The levers do not feel like they are disconnected. When I move the levers by hand it changes the mode, but as soon as the actuator is installed I get one time that it changes then it is back to the moaning. I believe my problem lies in those levers, but I cannot find any diagram to see how they are supposed to be setup. Does anyone here have any experience with anything remotely close to what I have been dealing with for the last 2 years? Any help would be appreciated. The dealer wanted $1000 dollars to diag and fix this issue.

#2 ·
Was the replacement a new part? might also be defective... part no is 68299450AA.
You can diagnose stuff yourself - get i.e. Appcar DiagFCA with a supported ELM327 device.
There are software based diagnostic and recalibration routines for the actuators.

#4 ·
Here is a side photo of the HVAC unit with the actuators on it. You will notice a lower one, and an upper one. The lower one controls the passenger side temp, and the upper one controls the zone for both the driver and front passenger.

I also had a "moaning" issue, but that was when I upgraded from manual climate to the fully auto one in my 09 GCV SE. It happened to the driver side temp control, the wiring for the auto was different then the manual version, and with the one missing wire, the door went to full cold position all the time, if I changed the temp for the driver, the door moaned and nothing changed.

You won't have this issue as you didn't change the climate control unit, however, the symptoms sound as if either the actuator itself can only move one way, or like in my case, the wiring was bad and the voltage only allowed one way movement.

I'd suggest go to a local junkyard with any 2008-present dodge caravan or town and country and grab an actuator from it, replace it for yours and see if it fixes the issue. If it doesn't it could be the wiring has a fault somewhere, or the climate control unit is bad.

#5 ·
Here is a side photo of the HVAC unit with the actuators on it. You will notice a lower one, and an upper one. The lower one controls the passenger side temp, and the upper one controls the zone for both the driver and front passenger.
View attachment 60099

I also had a "moaning" issue, but that was when I upgraded from manual climate to the fully auto one in my 09 GCV SE. It happened to the driver side temp control, the wiring for the auto was different then the manual version, and with the one missing wire, the door went to full cold position all the time, if I changed the temp for the driver, the door moaned and nothing changed.

You won't have this issue as you didn't change the climate control unit, however, the symptoms sound as if either the actuator itself can only move one way, or like in my case, the wiring was bad and the voltage only allowed one way movement.

I'd suggest go to a local junkyard with any 2008-present dodge caravan or town and country and grab an actuator from it, replace it for yours and see if it fixes the issue. If it doesn't it could be the wiring has a fault somewhere, or the climate control unit is bad.
Question about the wiring. If the wiring is indeed the problem, then how did you go about repairing it. Was it at the plug that you had a problem? I am pretty good with a multi-meter, but I am hoping to not have to tear apart the dash to get to some of the feed. Is there a specific voltage I should be looking for? If, when I installed the unit and applied power the unit went both ways, but could the problem be in the levers and actuators behind the air door actuator. Do you have a picture of that area? As always thank you in advance.

#9 ·
So I read the HVAC codes and I was getting, sorry can't remember the actual number, front mode door1 travel range to far. When reading the live data for the actuator for each of the settings, they were in spec for the projected ranges. I can clear the code, and hvac works better than it did, but the error code comes back after I shutoff the vehicle and let it set for a half hour or so. I saw on another forum that they had problems with the dorman actuators, I may try a different brand to see if that helps. Please feel free to add any advice, it has been a progressive week as far as fixing this issue. Thanks again.

#11 ·
I think I may have figured out, at least some of the problem. On the mode door actuator the screw that is closet to the front on the bottom, is not really holding it in place. I can see that it actuator it getting pushed out as it goes through its diag cycle. So it pops out just enough that it becomes disengaged for a short time until it comes back around. I am gonna try and get a bolt in there to try and secure better, so it doesn't push it out. I know that most of the screws mount to a post, this part doesn't seem to have a post, it mounts to the backing plate, so my thought is a bolt a nut and couple of washers may be able to squeeze it together to get it to stop.Then re-calibrate it again. Fingers crossed.

#12 ·
The actuator must be inserted a specific way into the slot and screwed into place, I had a hard time unscrewing/putting it back, and actually had a similar issue with it jumping out like you mentioned! Pull it out and try re-insert it, those threads for the screw shouldn't be stripped or damaged, and I am known for... Well... Stripping bolts and cross threading/damaging these types of things!

Maybe I'm wrong, you saw what was happening, but I'm just saying try it before you add a bolt or screw into the hard plastic.

#13 ·
I did not put a bolt in it. What I did do was to kept tightening until it got expensive. I did have to put a different screw in it, but the one I went with had a tapered head, didn't look too closely. It pushed right threw the ear, I have another one to try, when I get time.

I did pull off the cover plate to the levers and that lever again was popped out, everything is still connected on the other side. I can move it by hand, and it moves smoothly, I think the actuator may have been too tight all around. I will let you know when I know.

#14 ·
So an update, new actuator is in, new screw is holding, the settings are working and I am getting no moaning. I am however still getting the diag start with the same code as before. Does anyone have any experience with the appcap hvac calibration part of the program. If you do, can I get some info on it. I have tried myself, but the actual position vs the what the app is telling are the same, so not sure where to go from here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.