The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to install a stereo soon and while it is apart I want to repair this light. I assume it is inside the HVAC unit. My previous vans did not have the digital climate controls so not sure if this is an easy fix or not. I am betting I'll have to open the HVAC unit and solder in a new bulb.

Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,202 Posts
Well, it's a tough one.

The problem with these HVAC units is to get access to the bulbs, you need to remove the back plate. And unfortunately, each button, knob, or rocker has a spring and a rod piece that is held in place by the front faceplate. So when you remove the faceplate, you are greeted with many small rods, springs, and gears that come cascading out.

I believe the bulbs are LED's also, not conventional mini bulbs. This means to fix it is needing re-soldering. Although yours looks more like a bulb, but I'm not 100% sure.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,202 Posts
The next time I'm at pick and pull I can take a unit apart and take photos, as well as let you know if I'm able to re-assemble these bits that come out. It's likely doable if you hold the faceplate face down flat, and carefully slide the back plate with the board off. I will let you know.

·
3rd gen > all others
3,452 Posts
Yes, new lights need to be soldered in. I haven't done it yet (have 3 of these with burned out lights), but I have taken them apart to look and put them back together. I've taken mine apart with the face down, so I can see where everything goes. The pins and things on the buttons are held in place on a rubber pad on the face. If you take the face off facing you, everything falls out everywhere!

Here's a thread with diagrams/pinouts for both HVAC controls so you can supply power on the bench to test the lights before closing up/installing the unit.

Reactions: fan-of-vans

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not sure what year/model you have, but I have the same problem with my 2007 Chrysler 300. I soldered new bulbs on the first time, but it's a PITA. Dorman makes a replacement HVAC module, so it's plug and play, and not terribly expensive. When the lights die now, I just get a new Dorman replacement module. Do a google search for "HVAC control module" plus the year and model of your van...perhaps there is one available for your minivan as well. Otherwise, try eBay or the wrecker for a used part and keep your fingers crossed that it doesn't have the same fault.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I replaced bulbs on our 07's HVAC controller, and I don't remember having to do any soldering. Granted it was the manual HVAC, so maybe it's different. I bought a used controller off eBay for cheap, found it had more burnt out than mine did, took its LEDs and put them in mine. It wasn't hard at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts