The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As i'm sure alot of you have heard,dodge killed the grand caravan from its 2021 line up..as they want to focus on a more performance oriented brand in america..however it will be built and sold in canada as the chrysler grand caravan using the pacifica platform..americas offerings are the chrysler voyager and pacifica..thats it..even tho i dont mind the pacifica minivan..ive always been a grand caravan purist,so its a little disappointing,but at the same time it has had a very successful run,being introduced in the mid eighties and being the best selling minivan since..It wont stop me from buying these beautiful vehicles tho

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,054 Posts
Is just a vehicle, nothing sad about it.

Don't understand you guys making a big deal out of nothing, especially those guys who own a 10+ years old vehicle.

If you own a 10+ Y.O. vehicle now (nothing wrong with that), that means you should be good if by 2030 you own a 2020 vehicle. You still have at least 10 years to enjoy those vehicles.

People, get over with.

·
Super Moderator
24,373 Posts
Is just a vehicle, nothing sad about it.

Don't understand you guys making a big deal out of nothing, especially those guys who own a 10+ years old vehicle.

If you own a 10+ Y.O. vehicle now (nothing wrong with that), that means you should be good if by 2030 you own a 2020 vehicle. You still have at least 10 years to enjoy those vehicles.

People, get over with.
We are beginning the grieving phase. :) Sparse sympathy from you. :(

The Grand Caravan, with the Pacifica chassis, is okay. I was expecting that upgrade years back when the Pacifica came to market. Just another generation of the Grand Caravan. Could have called it the Jeep Grand Caravan though. The nine speed ZF transmission, well, more speeds to go wrong. Would have preferred the shiftable 6 speed.

I feel sorry for the Voyager guys south of the border though. The Grand Caravan nameplate was pretty popular there too.

Next on the list is FORD dropping the F-150, F-250 and F-350 nameplates, hey LEVY. Just call them Mercury 1, 2 and 3. Actually, I liked the Mercury nameplate.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
3rd gen > all others
2,828 Posts
Those silly marketing people, not taking the heritage of the name seriously. Just because it's an all-new vehicle, they want to depart from the old, known name and get people hooked on something new. Except, people get comfortable with what they know, and there's a certain amount of nostalgia tied to a nameplate. Sometimes, even pride of owning that brand.

For example, I work for Arctic Cat in the engine assembly facility. Back in 2017, Textron bought Arctic Cat and decided to rebrand the dirt side with their name, hoping customers would learn about their wide range of products (planes, helicopters for the military, testing equipment, etc.) and connect quality to the new name. They were met with purists who said if they changed the name, they were out. Sales must have reflected that, along with the head of the specialized vehicles division leaving and a new guy taking over. They saw the light, and in the beginning of this year they switched the name back to Arctic Cat. Good thing they never changed the sign outside of our building. They did up in Thief River Falls, and had to change it back again. Don't deny your heritage.

·
Super Moderator
24,373 Posts
Those silly marketing people, not taking the heritage of the name seriously. Just because it's an all-new vehicle, they want to depart from the old, known name and get people hooked on something new. Except, people get comfortable with what they know, and there's a certain amount of nostalgia tied to a nameplate. Sometimes, even pride of owning that brand.

For example, I work for Arctic Cat in the engine assembly facility. Back in 2017, Textron bought Arctic Cat and decided to rebrand the dirt side with their name, hoping customers would learn about their wide range of products (planes, helicopters for the military, testing equipment, etc.) and connect quality to the new name. They were met with purists who said if they changed the name, they were out. Sales must have reflected that, along with the head of the specialized vehicles division leaving and a new guy taking over. They saw the light, and in the beginning of this year they switched the name back to Arctic Cat. Good thing they never changed the sign outside of our building. They did up in Thief River Falls, and had to change it back again. Don't deny your heritage.
Names have meaning and an association develops over time. Marketers that ignore that aren't too bright.

Look what marketers did to the pony cars over the years.

·
Super Moderator
6,305 Posts
Agreed.

The loss of the "Dodge Grand Caravan" is at least a lazy rebadge, and a major marketing blunder

Seems the USA doesn't understand how important the "Dodge Grand Caravan" is.

I've had similar discussions on other FCA forums about the loss of it, but they don't understand.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Sorry, I don't agree. A name is just a name. In the early 80s, the Olds Cutlass was THE highest selling nameplate in North America. When GM replaced it with the new Cutlass, sales tanked. Not even close to being in the top 10.

The "new" DGC is just the current Pacifica L. Pacifica Ls aren't selling that well and calling it something else won't change that. Unless FCA reduces the price drastically.

Something to think about: The Pacifica L is most comparable equipment-wise to the base DGC. How do base DGC sales compare with higher trim levels? I don't know the numbers but base models sure do languish on dealer lots (look at the VINs of inventory).

·
Registered
282 Posts
I disagree. Ford really messed up when they discontinued the Taurus and Sable and called their new sedans the Five Hundred and Montego. So much so that they renamed them back to Taurus and Sable a few years later.

Grand Caravan had a really long run. 35 years is a REALLY long run for many American cars. Don't understand the scoffing in this thread.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I disagree. Ford really messed up when they discontinued the Taurus and Sable and called their new sedans the Five Hundred and Montego. So much so that they renamed them back to Taurus and Sable a few years later.

Grand Caravan had a really long run. 35 years is a REALLY long run for many American cars. Don't understand the scoffing in this thread.
Ford's mess up was some genius decreed all Ford model names had to begin with F and Mercurys with M. Never mind it was never going to work with the Mustang, but it was as confusing as **** to potential customers. Ford quickly aborted that idea.

The scoffing is at the idea that one little nameplate on the tailgate makes any difference. Whether it's called Pacifca L, Voyager or Grand Caravan (2021), they are all the same. Price matters, but not the name.

·
Super Moderator
24,373 Posts
There's something to a name. You can call your horse, "Horse" and your dog, "Dog" and your F150, "Truck", but don't call your horse, "Mule" or your dog, "Cat" or your F150, "Ram". Just sayin. :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
When customers return for a replacement, they may be quite confused. Our local Chrysler dealer was still advertising new Chrysler Pacificas as Town and Country when they first came out. May still be doing so. Bringing back the Voyager name was nice, but it's been 16 years since that model name was used in the US. The Grand Caravan at this point had far more familiarity.

IMO Dodge should have redesigned the Grand Caravan to follow the Pacifica body but differentiated with more of a Dodge flair, like a Durango style front end. But it didn't fit their intentions for the lineup. The Grand Caravan has had the same body since 2008, same interior since 2011, that's a long time for a car to not have an update. Closest I can think was the Impala Limited, which started as the Impala in 2006 but was still made until 2016 alongside the new style Impala.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts