The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months back when I added the factory subwoofer I noticed that the rear quarter panel had these black star type shapes all over the panel that I could just wipe off with my hand, very light. I then noticed the exact same thing when I added the dual overhead screen system to my van, except I wiped it all off with spray 9 after I installed it.

And I was at pick and pull today, grabbing photos for other threads and other curios things I was looking at. I took the 3'd row shade panel off and it revealed the same black star type stuff that I saw on pretty much every panel I've installed so far, except it was very dark compared to the ones I've seen so far.

My question is what exactly is it? Is this black mold? Is this a concern? And what exactly can I do to prevent this stuff from forming and coming back?

In a few months time I am ripping out the whole interior in my van to replace my midline wiring harness for the full top of the line wiring harness with all the connectors for all the available factory accessories, and I am making my GCV SE have the same options as a T&C limited does. When I do so, I will be soundproofing the whole floor and walls and celling of the van, as well as the doors in the process. Since all the interior will be out anyway, while it's out I will get a chance to remove this stufff... whatever it is, and do it well with a steam cleaner and any other necessary chemicals.

But whatever this nasty stuff is, what do I need to do to prevent it from coming back?

You will see streaks of this dark stuff around the sunshade, it doesn't really have much else to be except mold. :(

·
3rd gen > all others
3,327 Posts
Could just be dust or smoke residue. Plastic is static charged and attracts small particles. I've seen this before when I worked at a die casting and plastic injection molding place (for 6 years). We made white newspaper caddies that were stacked in giant boxes. They were white or very light gray. Sometimes the sooty smoke from the die casting half of the building would make it's way into the other half, and this same pattern would be on the brand-new molded parts. It would wipe right off.

Reactions: UN4GTBL and Michalb

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could just be dust or smoke residue. Plastic is static charged and attracts small particles. I've seen this before when I worked at a die casting and plastic injection molding place (for 6 years). We made white newspaper caddies that were stacked in giant boxes. They were white or very light gray. Sometimes the sooty smoke from the die casting half of the building would make it's way into the other half, and this same pattern would be on the brand-new molded parts. It would wipe right off.
That's interesting, but why does it for weird shapes like this? Well, at least it's not mold... specifically black mold since its black

·
Registered
2014 Chrysler Town & Country 30th Anniversary Edition. 3.6L, 211kW
108 Posts
I might be wrong here but I don't think mold lives on such plastic surface.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,063 Posts
Mildew. The joys of the great salty north. Cars get holes in them, water gets in the holes, mold and mildew run rampant. Time to patch some floor pans.

Reactions: Michalb

·
Registered
2010 DGC SE
77 Posts
I might be wrong here but I don't think mold lives on such plastic surface.
Mold will live on ANY surface.

I'm in the middle of shutting down the sugarbush for the year. I've spent the past week bleaching & alcohol rinsing everything in the sugarshack. This includes all of the stainless steel.
In a month or so, I'll be in cleaning mold off of every spot I miss this week.

·
Registered
885 Posts
try putting a drop of bleach on an inconspicuous spot, I remember reading somewhere if the changes colour, then it's mold.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,063 Posts
Most things will change color if you drop bleach on them. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
2009 Chrysler Town and Country
620 Posts
It looks like dust particles . I know when I did mine there was a lot of dust and a little dirt . I took them to the self serve carwash hosed them off before I installed them . I first sprayed them down with a mild all purpose cleaner.

·
Super Moderator
26,429 Posts
I know my jeans changed color when I accidentally dropped some bleach on them. 😳
Oh, oh, white jeans, paint horse style..

Maybe that mold stuff is cigarette smoke residue.

Reactions: georgef and LEVY

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,063 Posts
Cigarette smoke leaves a brown film. It doesn't run in veins like that. It leaves a fairly even coating.

Reactions: Michalb

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mold growth on plastic shown on this website has a similar pattern.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Road Ripper is on the right path I believe. The static in the plastic is attracting the dust. It will follow the magnetic field that is attracting it which always shows a creative pattern.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Black mold from maple trees? Had several maple trees near the driveway for years. Besides fine droplets of maple sap?on car surfaces, at certain times of year you would see black stain on concrete. When trees were removed problem ended.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Black mold from maple trees? Had several maple trees near the driveway for years. Besides fine droplets of maple sap?on car surfaces, at certain times of year you would see black stain on concrete. When trees were removed problem ended.
The van parks in the garage and there are no trees overhanging the street or driveway, so this is unlikely.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the responses guys, much appreciated!

I'm still not confident if it's mold or not, either way each panel will be getting a thorough cleaning once I remove them to replace the whole interior wiring harness. I'm actually starting to disbelieve it's mold because the van has no odor to it, it actually still smells sorta new and it has never been damp inside, the windows are always open in the garage when it's parked (and if it's not driving or on a trip it's in the garage), The air is very dry here and winter is long and cold, it could very easily be the plastic is slightly charged and attracts impurities in the air itself, which builds up over time. And it's just the plastics I see this on, the metal itself is still shiny and nothing of the sort is on it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts