The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

In my 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan, I am sometimes encountering ignition problems. A lot of times the car starts fine. But sometimes, it takes 2 or 3 tries of turning the key before the car will actually start. The car makes NO sounds when the ignition isn't working. There's no clicking. It just makes no sound. Plus I got a new battery less than a year ago. So I do not think it is the battery. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Below is a video of the problem happening. It's kind of hard to hear the details in the video, because it was one of the few times I actually remembered to try and record it, and the AC was on and the windows were closed. But in the video, you can (maybe) hear that the first time I try to start the car (at 0:10 in the video), the car makes no sound whatsoever (other than the AC being on). And the 2nd time I turn the key (at 0:15), the car starts perfectly. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Thanks.

Video:

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I would make sure the battery terminals are snug and clean.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The ingition switch is part of the WIN module, or wireless ignition node. These frequently go bad. Mine had the same problem to the point that it would also shut off while driving. Recommend replacing the WIN module. It involves taking the whole dash off. Not paticularly hard, but not for beginingers. Also, the module needs to be programmed. Both before you take the old onne out, and after you put the new one in. There's a guy in TX that is selling preprogrammed modules that work, but if you don't do the programming prior to removal, then after the module is put in, your TMPS WILL NOT WORK. The win module recieves signals from your key remote and the TMPS sensors inyour tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't think this is your problem, but when mine ('09) does this I put the tranny in nuetral. For me the starter engages for a split second but never "fixes" itself on the second attempt. I've been living with it for several years.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts