The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
OK, slow progress but I've got it torn down, cleaned up and ready for a new starter and radiator.
Working with a bum leg and back problems has really slowed me down so I'll have to take a day or two break before I go back together with it.

The former owner had installed a fluid filter, a fluid cooler and had extended the transmission pan 1". It's kind of a mess with all the hoses, which I'm also going to replace but its great for trans life!
Also I've had this vehicle on the road, since I put a replacement engine in it, for 70,000 miles and had never replaced the air filter! Don't know why I spaced out on that...anyway it was an incredible mess but it did the job.

After this I'll have to inspect the timing belt.

It took a 15mm to remove the starter and a 13mm to remove the starter cable. Easy peasy with the radiator out!

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I can see the weak link in this starter. The two contacts need to be sitting flat on that red base plate so as to evenly make contact with the plunger. The problem is I was able to position them correctly, but when I had to torque down the external contacts I'm pretty sure I disturbed the inner contacts positions. I was as careful as I could be but the plastic collars prevented me from tightening down the internal contacts as much as they should be - in my opinion.

So I've got the fans switched over to the new radiator but have to change out a couple of the trans cooler hoses.
I'm looking at all this mess with the in-line filter and cooler and wondering if I should just scrap it all or maybe just the cooler. I really like that filter set-up. It gives about a quart extra capacity.

Anyway, I cleaned up the starter internally, freed up the brush and took the wire wheel to it. Was tempted to give it a spray of clear but said 'OK Mr. Perfect, STOP'.

You can see from the picture of one of the contacts that it has worn at an angle from being improperly tightened down.

Attachments

41 - 43 of 43 Posts