The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been house hunting with our daughter and there is a lot of rumble at low speeds.
Walker, AP, Mopar?
Mopar is one piece and $500. Walker and AP are two piece and less than $200
Please provide Insight if you have experience with either.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
23,789 Posts
Might not be the muffler, maybe south of the muffler.

If it's a pipe, have them weld in a short piece so as to save the remaining ferric stainless steel components of the system as much as possible. That's an experienced Mechanic's/Shop Owner recommendation.

If it's a muffler, they usually go at the seam, Walker has stainless steel ones now with a limited lifetime warranty. Otherwise a Walker aluminized muffler with a limited lifetime warranty. The aluminized mufflers last about 4 years.

OE stainless steel would cost a fortune.

WALKER QUIET-FLOW® SS MUFFLERS

The only broad market muffler with 100% stainless steel, Walker Quiet-Flow SS Mufflers deliver longer life expectancy versus aluminized mufflers.

Rockauto Exhaust Parts:

Rockauto Muffler 2012 DODGE GRAND CARAVAN 3.6L V6 Muffler / Resonator | RockAuto

One piece should do. Exhaust parts can be welded wherever.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The problem with alot of OEM stainless exhausts is that the outside of the system survives well, but the internal parts of the muffler corrode away and you sometimes end up with basically an empty can.
The Mopar parts are very expensive. I can't see spending that much on exhaust parts. You should be fine with Walker parts. Definitely avoid any cheap "turbo" or "performance" mufflers, you will not be happy with how they sound.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, I want quiet.
I looked under, and it looks like some white areas around the outlet on the back side of the muffler, hence the rumbling. The OEM is one piece and the Walker or AP is two piece. If any one has used them, i was wondering how well they mated to the original exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yea, I want quiet.
I looked under, and it looks like some white areas around the outlet on the back side of the muffler, hence the rumbling. The OEM is one piece and the Walker or AP is two piece. If any one has used them, i was wondering how well they mated to the original exhaust pipe.
They'll both mate perfectly. Walker just separates the parts for ease of installation, like most other aftermarket suppliers. Much easier to inventory.

·
Super Moderator
23,789 Posts
Might be a hole in a pipe. Just weld a new short piece in. Save the rest of the ss system. Cutting and welding is very common in exhaust work. It's routine. Pieces of various sizes are fitted together as well.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just ordered the Walker stainless muffler, tailpipe with resonator, and clamp at the muffler. Ordered from O'Reilly's $205, Advance didn't have stock on muffler and no source...which was strange. could have saved a few bucks on other sources, but O'Reilly is a local store.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Might be a hole in a pipe. Just weld a new short piece in. Save the rest of the ss system. Cutting and welding is very common in exhaust work. It's routine. Pieces of various sizes are fitted together as well.
No hole in pipe, I checked. intermediate pipe is solid as well as the tail pipe.

·
Super Moderator
23,789 Posts
The new tail pipe wont last as long as your old OE stainless steel pipe.The common failure with the stainless steel systems is with the muffler at about 10 years depending on driving, short trips being bad for condensation.

Good mufflers have a weep hole, ever notice how much water can drain out of one.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I understand the OEM is better but I can buy 2.5 Walker sets for the price of OEM

·
Super Moderator
23,789 Posts
I understand the OEM is better but I can buy 2.5 Walker sets for the price of OEM
I understand that, but why are you replacing the OE ss tail pipe which has more life left in it than your new regular steel pipe will have?

When I sold the 2002, in 2018, it had a replacement muffler (twice) and about 6" of replaced tail pipe next to the muffler. I was going to replace the tail pipe about 3 years previous but the Mechanic said "weld in a short piece and save the stainless steel". He gave me good advice, which I took. Saved $ too.

Just passing that experience along. :)

·
Super Moderator
23,789 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds good. Might want to cut off and save your old tail pipe.
I will take your advice, I'll cut the tailpipe at the muffler and retain all the pipe segments, I figured i would have to cut it anyway but I'll cut as close to the muffler as possible.
I was worried about the resonator too, so I'll use the Walker units I ordered but keep the SS pipe for the next replacement if needed. Doubt I'll still have the car, but we tend to hand down cars to family so I'll horde it a couple of years.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
23,789 Posts
(y)

Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Muffler, tailpipe and clamps came...and I installed it today...it's much quieter. The hardest part was the clamp at the intermediate pipe had to be cut off. I already had my Sawzall out but the clamp was hard to get to with the car jacked up on the driveway. I used a long blade and that did the trick. I cut the pipe at both sides close to the muffler, supported it with a floor jack, unbolted the brackets and dropped it out. Once the muffler was out it took several good licks with a 2lb hammer to break the compression seal to the intermediate pipe. Also, Remove the rear wheel and don't compress the suspension on the rear axle because you can't get the tailpipe over it. Remove the hanger bracket holding the resonator and it slips right out. The heat shield around the resonator is fragile and you can tear it loose as I did but a single self tapping screw and washer did the trick. On a scale of 1 - 10 for driveway work a 3-4 and took me about 3 hours because it was HOT and I had several breaks in the AC. Harder without a good saw though.

·
Super Moderator
23,789 Posts
You got er done. (y)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, Definitely quieter. But it seems there's still a rumble coming from under passenger seat.
Has anyone found a suitable replacement for the front resonator? Either bolt in or weld in.

Thanks

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
565 Posts
Walker sells those too. Not sure how good they are, but it's a bolt-on replacement. Has pinch bends, which I'm not fond of, but may be fine for you.

·
Super Moderator
23,789 Posts
Ok, Definitely quieter. But it seems there's still a rumble coming from under passenger seat.
Has anyone found a suitable replacement for the front resonator? Either bolt in or weld in.

Thanks
The Walker mufflers have a bit of a rumble to them, not as quiet as OE, but not obtrusive.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts