The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have this issue with the built-in window shades on their van? My 4-year old son gets such a kick out of pulling out the window shade and having it slingshot back into the door. The noise is so jarring that it scares all of us and wakes up our 3 month old. Of course, the 4 year old thinks this is the funniest thing in the world so he keeps doing it. We like these shades for privacy in the seats he's not near, but short of cutting them out from the bottom or duct taping them down, we can't seem to find any other tips or solutions online to help keep children from tugging on them or playing with them.

Does anyone have any pointers, besides better parenting LOL?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Actually, my son is the same type of "let's snap it back" player. The solution was to install some roll-down window shades which have a self locking functionality, it's being installed on top of the window, it keeps itself in position by pulling down and they have a pin that has to be pressed to roll it back up.
My shades are similar to these:
Similar product / amazon.com

·
Loveably weird
321 Posts
Duct tape his hands together?

Reactions: LEVY

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you keep the window shades up, maybe he wouldn't be able to reach them then?

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is very distracting and potentially dangerous. You need to take control or you risk hurting yourself, family, and innocent people in an accident. Duct tape a sock over his hand, use a barrier to prevent him from reaching the window, take away favorite items, or just leave him at home in a cage. You shouldn't alter you van because of his poor behavior. What would be next?

·
Premium Member
2009 Chrysler Town and Country
252 Posts
Q
This is very distracting and potentially dangerous. You need to take control or you risk hurting yourself, family, and innocent people in an accident. Duct tape a sock over his hand, use a barrier to prevent him from reaching the window, take away favorite items, or just leave him at home in a cage. You shouldn't alter you van because of his poor behavior. What would be next?
You are right ! I say warm those cakes up a little . Caging might be a little late. Get those cakes warm enough and he'll have something to think about next time he reaches for those shades again. BEAT HIS ASS

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
My angry face has been sufficient to keep the kids from playing with them more than once.

·
Registered
387 Posts
One of my grandkids did that...once.

When I immediately parked and yanked him out of the van, he learned really fast.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,086 Posts
Justica, I saw you around here yesterday, if you need more help, please let us know, as you can see, we are eager to help you out! :)

Keep posting, let us know what kind of vehicle you have.

Enjoy the forum.

·
Super Moderator
24,417 Posts
Does anyone else have this issue with the built-in window shades on their van? My 4-year old son gets such a kick out of pulling out the window shade and having it slingshot back into the door. The noise is so jarring that it scares all of us and wakes up our 3 month old. Of course, the 4 year old thinks this is the funniest thing in the world so he keeps doing it. We like these shades for privacy in the seats he's not near, but short of cutting them out from the bottom or duct taping them down, we can't seem to find any other tips or solutions online to help keep children from tugging on them or playing with them.

That's a tough question, especially when better parenting is ruled out of the answer.

Many years back I went to a Parent Effectiveness Training Class for a few sessions.

I came to the conclusion that the Parents were more the problem than the kids. The course had some good methodology when dealing with kids though.

Natural consequences: What actions are most appropriate to the behavior so the child can learn some behaviour skills? Every experience is an opportunity to learn (good or bad). Take advantage of the opportunity. Be glad your child has a sense of humor and the ability to do things. Now channel that for the good.

Consistency: Pretty much all is lost if one is not consistent. Many, many parents laugh at a behavior and then expect it not to happen again. It will. It's been reinforced/enabled.

Objectivity: What are your objectives. Don't be side tracked by losing your cool. Be deliberate.

To answer your question, how about a sheet of plastic or plexiglass? How about a middle seat with the understanding he gets a seat of his choice of a better seat if he behaves better. Ask him how he would solve the problem. Hang fly paper from the top of the window. :)

Reverse psychology: "Do that again so you can get a time out. Hurry up, I'm waiting".

·
Premium Member
2009 Chrysler Town and Country
252 Posts
Well I'll tell you child psychology and all the other antics they use today useless. My Grandmother had the ultimate cure for all child misbehaving it's called a SWITCH.

I know it worked for me . What ever I did after that switching . You better believe there was not a recurrence of that misbehavior.

EVER AGAIN :D

·
Registered
4 Posts

Put a Strait Jacket on the 4yo and/or put them in the middle seat when traveling. . . .

·
Registered
130 Posts
We put our 4 year old in the middle at the back. 3 year old on one side middle row and 1 year old other side middle row. None of them can touch each other and the younger ones don’t tend to play with the blinds. We typically leave them in the “up” position to keep the sun out. If they do play with them it’s not so noisy.

We have more trouble with them pressing the button to open the doors but at least we can turn those interior buttons off

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler Town and Country Touring
371 Posts
Wow, turned in to a parenting thread. I work in a K-12 school district, you should see what kids will do. It's amazing.

·
Super Moderator
24,417 Posts
1 - 20 of 48 Posts