·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Who is Heed?
Heed's on first...

·
Registered
43 Posts
I saw a 700k km van (2006 GC 3.8) on Kijiji not looking too different from all the other 200-300k km ones. It had a commercial plate which means it had to undergo routine inspections, and it being a commercial shuttle between Calgary and Banff, I assume that everything that needed to be done was done, which is rarely the case for privately owned vehicles (obviously from people outside these forums).

As far as the general consensus about not changing the transmission fluid, I don't believe it, it doesn't make sense to me. Engines, transmissions etc. are engineered to run with a fluid that has certain properties (as defined with by the ATF+4 specs). The fluid over time loses these properties, wears out with time, use, seasons etc. Poof, the original properties are gone. Dirt starts to accumulate, the metal parts start to wear more and more, the filter can only filter so much.

New fluids have cleaning additives, which is what causes problems since it slowly releases gunk that has been building up for 15 years. The solution is easy – with a used car with uncertain service history, don't change the fluid just once, but twice or three times, even, in a short time span (for the transmission I'd say in a 15k km intervals/10k miles). That being said, I did change the fluid 20k km ago and nothing happened. Will do another one soon. It is not going to fix anything that was possibly already worn out, but it will significantly slow further damage.

And for me, when a manufacturer recommends some interval how often something should be changed, the interval does not mean "Change it this often so everything lasts as long as it can", it's more like "If you change it this often, the car will last long enough that you won't get mad at Chrysler and might buy again". Today's transmissions are often even sealed or at least extremely hard to change fluid, because they have so called lifetime fluids. And, indeed, yes, they last for the lifetime of the transmission...

·
Registered
2,417 Posts

I just came across a 178,000 mile transmission that I know has never been changed.

I AM NOT GOING TO DO IT.

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Caravan C/V
69 Posts
Not maintaining a vehicle because of some youtube idiot's BS advice. Hmmm. Not for me.

I've done exactly what he's saying not to, and have only gotten positive results. Though I do agree with not using a flushing machine.

As I've said, if a transmission fails after putting clean ATF in it, it was VERY near death anyhow.

That Lucas snake oil is actually good for transmissions that are truly on their last legs, though. My friend milked a failing Isuzu Trooper transmission for several years by using that stuff.

·
Registered
890 Posts
that advice goes a lot deeper than YT

transmissions are not like engines, the oil doesn't need to be regularly changed to maintain functionality and prevent damage

when you change the fluid like that in an old worn in transmission you change the chemistry in the transmission

this is a chemistry that the transmission has had for 10, 15, 20 years or more

seals will swell or contract, friction coefficients will change, gaskets will swell or contract causing leaks, etc

some cars might do well with or even require transmission fluid changes, these vans are not one of those cars, leave the A604 alone and let it do its thing

·
Super Moderator
24,417 Posts
Only Fix Or Repair Daily trucks rust out in Texas, or maybe that's from sandblasting. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mine had 310k km (just under 200k miles) when I changed it. I am fairly certain it was original. Pitch black fluid and the pan had factory-like looking RTV seal:

(I don't have much pictures since I didn't want to touch my phone with my greasy hands, but it was really black).

I’ve now done second change last weekend after roughly another 10k miles and have had no issues. I’d even say it has gotten better, but the main reason for that is that I fixed ATF leak and the transmission now has consistent amount of fluid to work with. :D

Of course, anyone can do what they believe is best, which for me is periodical change of all fluids (sometimes at interval shorter that what the manufacturer recommends).

Reactions: beat_truck

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Caravan C/V
69 Posts
some cars might do well with or even require transmission fluid changes, these vans are not one of those cars, leave the A604 alone and let it do its thing
Again, I completely disagree.

I changed the filter and fluid on a '98 DGC AWD for someone I know. It had 160k+, and had never been changed. The fluid was fairly dark. The magnet looked like a Chinese chestnut with all the metal flakes on it.

I did put a bottle of the Lucas snake oil in with the new fluid. Again, the transmission shifted noticeably better, and it lasted for several years, until the owner ran off the road due to a rusted brake line popping.

·
Super Moderator
24,417 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Anyone advising adding any kind of snake oil to these transmissions is totally ignorant of the way these transmissions are designed. This forum has all kinds of info buried in it from people that posted actual chemical formulas and why Chrysler designers state you should never, never ever add anything to the ATF-4 to change the chemical compounds.

Anyone listening to total BS advise of adding snake oil to these transmissions risks total failure of said transmission.

DO NOT ADD ANY SNAKE OIL to these transmissions unless your transmission is already ruined and you are forced to get a re re anyway.

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Caravan C/V
69 Posts
Again, more hearsay. :rolleyes:

I've put Lucas in at least a dozen high mileage transmissions. It never hurt any single one of them. If anything, it helped them.

It says right on the bottle that it is compatible with all kinds of transmissions and ATF (besides CVTs), and claims to not void manufacturer's warranties.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Again, more hearsay. :rolleyes:

I've put Lucas in at least a dozen high mileage transmissions. It never hurt any single one of them. If anything, it helped them.

It says right on the bottle that it is compatible with all kinds of transmissions and ATF (besides CVTs), and claims to not void manufacturer's warranties.
There's a couple things wrong with your statement, but the main thing is your flawed logic. What is in Lucas transmission additive that helps your transmission? I'm betting you can't answer that, which means you have no idea what's in it or whether it helps or not. You say you've used it and it didn't "hurt" anything, that it might even have helped them. Helped them how? The junk Lucas sells is thick oil. Analysis of their additives has shown that. It's basically just thick oil.

Adding thick oil to a worn out engine or a transmission with a worn out valve body or weak clutches will more often that not raise oil pressure enough to improve performance for a short time, but it won't fix anything. If there's some friction modifiers in it, that might "help" too...for a few days or weeks. But it doesn't fix anything. Dump some thick oil into a worn out engine that's low on pressure, has rattly bearings, and poor compression, and it probably will seem to work a little better. But it doesn't fix anything. The worrying thing is that you seem to believe them when they say it's "compatible with all kinds of transmissions". Sure it is. It's oil. You could put any kind of oil in a transmission and it's "compatible". It will mix with the oil already there, and you probably won't notice anything for months, if ever. But it's not "compatible" because it's not what's supposed to be in there. Dexron, Mercon, and Chrysler ATF have different formulations. It's why you don't interchange them. While there are "universal" ATFs that claim to be compatible with Dexron III and Mercon IV, it's not possible to make a true universal fluid, because the specifications of modern lubricants like Dexron VI, Mercon V, and ATF +4 are in conflict with each other. In order to be "compatible" with all these fluids, Lucas Transmission additives can't be anything more than just a base oil, and I bet that's all it is, just like the junk they sell for engines. It's just thick oil, that sells for 3 or 4 times what a good motor oil would sell for, because people think it's magic.

I've seen lot's of people claim that Lucas did this or that, but they can never answer the question, what's in it, and how does it work? Neither can Lucas themselves. There are no independent controlled test showing that this stuff does anything.

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Caravan C/V
69 Posts
There's a couple things wrong with your statement, but the main thing is your flawed logic. What is in Lucas transmission additive that helps your transmission? I'm betting you can't answer that, which means you have no idea what's in it or whether it helps or not. You say you've used it and it didn't "hurt" anything, that it might even have helped them. Helped them how? The junk Lucas sells is thick oil. Analysis of their additives has shown that. It's basically just thick oil.

Adding thick oil to a worn out engine or a transmission with a worn out valve body or weak clutches will more often that not raise oil pressure enough to improve performance for a short time, but it won't fix anything. If there's some friction modifiers in it, that might "help" too...for a few days or weeks. But it doesn't fix anything. Dump some thick oil into a worn out engine that's low on pressure, has rattly bearings, and poor compression, and it probably will seem to work a little better. But it doesn't fix anything. The worrying thing is that you seem to believe them when they say it's "compatible with all kinds of transmissions". Sure it is. It's oil. You could put any kind of oil in a transmission and it's "compatible". It will mix with the oil already there, and you probably won't notice anything for months, if ever. But it's not "compatible" because it's not what's supposed to be in there. Dexron, Mercon, and Chrysler ATF have different formulations. It's why you don't interchange them. While there are "universal" ATFs that claim to be compatible with Dexron III and Mercon IV, it's not possible to make a true universal fluid, because the specifications of modern lubricants like Dexron VI, Mercon V, and ATF +4 are in conflict with each other. In order to be "compatible" with all these fluids, Lucas Transmission additives can't be anything more than just a base oil, and I bet that's all it is, just like the junk they sell for engines. It's just thick oil, that sells for 3 or 4 times what a good motor oil would sell for, because people think it's magic.

I've seen lot's of people claim that Lucas did this or that, but they can never answer the question, what's in it, and how does it work? Neither can Lucas themselves. There are no independent controlled test showing that this stuff does anything.
So basically, you've never used it yourself. Gotcha.

·
Super Moderator
24,417 Posts
I wonder how 10W-30 motor oil would work with a little friction modifier added? :)

·
Super Moderator
24,417 Posts
61 - 80 of 83 Posts