The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Dodge Grand Caravan (SE) 3.3l Blaze Red Crystal Pearl 219,990mi
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan (SE) 3.3l has 219,899 miles on it, (my mother did most of the driving but 8 months ago when I turned 16 she gave it too me). So far the only repairs it has had is a new EGR value, new plugs and wires, new PCM, new battery and radiator. But I replaced the front, and rear value covers and intake manifold gasket, and also the fuel pump for preventative maintenance, also the rear shocks and sway bar bushings. I was wondering if there are certain things I should look for with this type of mileage? Also is it safe to change the transmission filter and the transmission fluid? The reason why I ask about the transmission fluid is because I have a big leak in my transmission cooler I have to top the transmission off with about 2 quarts every month the fluid looks normal and not burnt a tiny bit dark still shifts good. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
294 Posts
My 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan (SE) 3.3l has 219,899 miles on it, (my mother did most of the driving but 8 months ago when I turned 16 she gave it too me). So far the only repairs it has had is a new EGR value, new plugs and wires, new PCM, new battery and radiator. But I replaced the front, and rear value covers and intake manifold gasket, and also the fuel pump for preventative maintenance, also the rear shocks and sway bar bushings. I was wondering if there are certain things I should look for with this type of mileage? Also is it safe to change the transmission filter and the transmission fluid? The reason why I ask about the transmission fluid is because I have a big leak in my transmission cooler I have to top the transmission off with about 2 quarts every month the fluid looks normal and not burnt a tiny bit dark still shifts good. What are your thoughts?
Well you just about flushed it. Any way repair the leak. And we'll my Gc.3.3 has almost 280000 miles just keep up the maintenance and it should go for about 300000k don't change the transmission fluid

Mike S Grand caravan 3.3

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,973 Posts
On your mom's hands, it could easily go another 300,000 + miles, on a 16 Y.O. boy, I just don't know.

As already mentioned, because of the leak, you already flushed it, just stop the leak and you should be ok.

Never replace a good fuel pump as a P.M., too late now, hope you replaced your old furl pump with a O.E. one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On your mom's hands, it could easily go another 300,000 + miles, on a 16 Y.O. boy, I just don't know.

As already mentioned, because of the leak, you already flushed it, just stop the leak and you should be ok.

Never replace a good fuel pump as a P.M., too late now, hope you replaced your old furl pump with a O.E. one.
I replace it with an OEM one 250 dollars, the dealerships was too expensive 400 dollars

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan C/V
203 Posts
Fix the trans fluid leak, change the fluid and filter, and drive it. BTW, they sell aftermarket trans pans that have drain plugs. They are cheap, too. If it's not a rust bucket and you don't abuse it, it may last a long time.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Or just change the fluid and filter. It's cheap insurance, and can't hurt a thing. If a trans suddenly fails right after the fluid/filter has been changed, it was on death's door anyhow.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Or just change the fluid and filter. It's cheap insurance, and can't hurt a thing. If a trans fails after the fluid/filter has been changed, it was on death's door anyhow.
Sounds good to me, but I do have a question. I have a noise going 10 miles an hour, in first gear after it shifts it goes away it is like a whollowing noise is this a normal noise for the DGC? I say this because I have heard the noise in some YouTube videos too.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sounds good to me, but I do have a question. I have a noise going 10 miles an hour, in first gear after it shifts it goes away it is like a whollowing noise is this a normal noise for the DGC? I say this because I have heard the noise in some YouTube videos too.
It's hard to say without hearing it. If it's a common problem, surely someone here will know.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,973 Posts
If something is wrong with that transmission, changing ATF and filter will not help, better leave it like that.

Someone will tell you a nice story, he changed ATF and filter and that made a huge difference, is not going to happen, believe me. It might happen, but not very often.

If you've added enough ATF already, you probably have 90% new fluid, so no reason to touch the transmission pan, leave it alone for another 100,000 miles.

Good luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If something is wrong with that transmission, changing ATF and filter will not help, better leave it like that.

Someone will tell you a nice story, he changed ATF and filter and that made a huge difference, is not going to happen, believe me. It might happen, but not very often.

If you've added enough ATF already, you probably have 90% new fluid, so no reason to touch the transmission pan, leave it alone for another 100,000 miles.

Good luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
B331FA57-53EA-44C3-9C25-BEDB98DDDFD4.png
It's hard to say without hearing it. If it's a common problem, surely someone here will know.
Hey, so I found the noise online, I took a video of the noise on my van. But could not upload it. But if you look up “2006 Chrysler Town & Country Touring Walter P. Chrysler Signature - POV Test Drive (Binaural Audio)”
By Winding road magazine ,and if you skip to (5:15) in the video when he first gets up to about 10 mph that’s the noise my van makes.

·
3rd gen > all others
3,010 Posts
Normally I'd say to replace the filter and fluid anyway, but if you've been adding ATF+4 fluid to it for quite a while, then it'll be okay/skip the trans filter replacement. Time to fix the leak though!

The bummer is, on these later 4th gen vans the transmission fluid cooler is part of the air conditioner condenser assembly and can't be replaced by itself. It uses special quick-connect fittings on the cooler lines and at the transmission. If it's a line/hose leaking, you may be able to replace it or get creative splicing in a new one with special barbed fittings and high-pressure hose clamps for fuel injection lines. If it's the cooler itself leaking (broken joint or hole in it somewhere) it might be easier to just install an aftermarket transmission cooler kit and abandon the factory cooler, to keep the cost lower.

These transmissions do sometimes have a noise while shifting, like a buzzing noise. It is made by the solenoid pack valves (the box on the lower front of the transmission) and is normal.

You did good by replacing the fuel pump at that mileage. The pump on my 3rd gen van went at 219,000 miles. I put in a used junkyard pump because I had to get the van driving, and back home again. I tore the failed pump apart and the contacts where the wires met the actual electric motor were burnt. I don't know if it was from poor contact, or increased load of a worn motor. The actual pump itself, inside the plastic assembly, is made by Walbro (which is a decent pump manufacturer).

Fix the little stuff, keep oil in it/maintain it and try to protect it from rust, and it will last a long time to come.

Reactions: beat_truck

·
Registered
122 Posts
If you are in the northern climes where salt all winter is normal, it will rust out way before it wears out.
It is far easier to fix mechanical items than get rid of rust.

Reactions: beat_truck

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
You can cut and paste the address bar here to reference YouTuber

As to the noise diagnosis, 1st things to try is to rotate the tires front to rear without crossing and see if anything changes. I can tell when I have neglected tire rotation on my new sneakers and rotation usually cures the ailing.

YOU are the custodian of your vehicle.
You are doing the right thing (IMAO) by coming here and asking questions. My advice on the trans filter is leave it alone UNLESS, you have a pan leak. I think the count is 2 for change it and 4 against. Wait someone just chimed in while I was gettin long in the tooth...
If you have a pan leak, then you are going to 'might as well change the filter' seeing as you had to remove the pan to reseal the leak...
If you dunt have a pan leak, just you wait, you'll get yer chance at that filter, far too soon enough...

Fix the transmission leak and clean up all that oily residue.
OH, you have been using the only transmission fluid for our vehicles ATF+4::: Right?

Is the check engine (the money light) is that lit up by any chance? Many thousands of peoples ignore that light, DON'T
And keep in mind the codes it produces are only clue's. The van can't tell you what parts to change and usually the auto part clerk is only taking educated guess's, so get your codes and ask here.

Drive safe, swivel at the neck. Anticipate everyone is out to get you. AND ALWAYS SOBER
Cheers!

·
Registered
203 Posts
View attachment 58952

Hey, so I found the noise online, I took a video of the noise on my van. But could not upload it. But if you look up “2006 Chrysler Town & Country Touring Walter P. Chrysler Signature - POV Test Drive (Binaural Audio)”
By Winding road magazine ,and if you skip to (5:15) in the video when he first gets up to about 10 mph that’s the noise my van makes.
I think I hear what you are talking about. It sounds pretty normal to me. I personally wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
sounds normal to me as well, my van makes quite a few strange whining noises during acceleration or coasting compared to other vehicles

unless you can hear something on the serpentine belt whining or feel a rumble like a bearing is bad, don't worry about it

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You can cut and paste the address bar here to reference YouTuber

As to the noise diagnosis, 1st things to try is to rotate the tires front to rear without crossing and see if anything changes. I can tell when I have neglected tire rotation on my new sneakers and rotation usually cures the ailing.

YOU are the custodian of your vehicle.
You are doing the right thing (IMAO) by coming here and asking questions. My advice on the trans filter is leave it alone UNLESS, you have a pan leak. I think the count is 2 for change it and 4 against. Wait someone just chimed in while I was gettin long in the tooth...
If you have a pan leak, then you are going to 'might as well change the filter' seeing as you had to remove the pan to reseal the leak...
If you dunt have a pan leak, just you wait, you'll get yer chance at that filter, far too soon enough...

Fix the transmission leak and clean up all that oily residue.
OH, you have been using the only transmission fluid for our vehicles ATF+4::: Right?

Is the check engine (the money light) is that lit up by any chance? Many thousands of peoples ignore that light, DON'T
And keep in mind the codes it produces are only clue's. The van can't tell you what parts to change and usually the auto part clerk is only taking educated guess's, so get your codes and ask here.

Drive safe, swivel at the neck. Anticipate everyone is out to get you. AND ALWAYS SOBER
Cheers!
My van has not had a check engine light on. I have been using Mopar ATF+4. I went outside to check up on my van , and to see if I have any leaks from my transmission pan, it is a bit wet looking and a bit rusty. I think I might try ,and change the pan with one with a drain plug on it, and probably just change the filter with the pan off the filter has never been replaced . Do you have any suggestions to what filter ,and drain pan I should use (one with a drain plug).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Normally I'd say to replace the filter and fluid anyway, but if you've been adding ATF+4 fluid to it for quite a while, then it'll be okay/skip the trans filter replacement. Time to fix the leak though!

The bummer is, on these later 4th gen vans the transmission fluid cooler is part of the air conditioner condenser assembly and can't be replaced by itself. It uses special quick-connect fittings on the cooler lines and at the transmission. If it's a line/hose leaking, you may be able to replace it or get creative splicing in a new one with special barbed fittings and high-pressure hose clamps for fuel injection lines. If it's the cooler itself leaking (broken joint or hole in it somewhere) it might be easier to just install an aftermarket transmission cooler kit and abandon the factory cooler, to keep the cost lower.

These transmissions do sometimes have a noise while shifting, like a buzzing noise. It is made by the solenoid pack valves (the box on the lower front of the transmission) and is normal.

You did good by replacing the fuel pump at that mileage. The pump on my 3rd gen van went at 219,000 miles. I put in a used junkyard pump because I had to get the van driving, and back home again. I tore the failed pump apart and the contacts where the wires met the actual electric motor were burnt. I don't know if it was from poor contact, or increased load of a worn motor. The actual pump itself, inside the plastic assembly, is made by Walbro (which is a decent pump manufacturer).

Fix the little stuff, keep oil in it/maintain it and try to protect it from rust, and it will last a long time to come.
I ordered a new AC condenser/ cooler online
My AC does not blow cold anymore so I thought I might as well replace the whole thing. I have some things I have to do to my van, I am waiting on a new headliner to come in as well because mine is dropping, I have a very small amount of rust on one side of my rocker of my van, but I bought everything I need to fix it.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts