The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 102 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,432 Posts
Can't say I recommend the expensive Mopar brake parts. I replaced the left front rotor on my 2016 GC last year due to pockets of the face delaminating. The lower slider pin seized as well (corrosion). White box parts would have performed better than that.
If going Mopar, might want to consider refurbished Mopar rotors.
Raybestos has the coated rotors plus plated rebuilt calipers and brackets.
I was checking the rear brakes yesterday. 3/16" to 1/4" left on the pads. Face of left rotor might have something starting, will keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Can't say I recommend the expensive Mopar brake parts. I replaced the left front rotor on my 2016 GC last year due to pockets of the face delaminating. The lower slider pin seized as well (corrosion). White box parts would have performed better than that.
If going Mopar, might want to consider refurbished Mopar rotors.
Raybestos has the coated rotors plus plated rebuilt calipers and brackets.
I was checking the rear brakes yesterday. 3/16" to 1/4" left on the pads. Face of left rotor might have something starting, will keep an eye on it.
Good to know. I assumed that the Mopar rotors would be the best. I had no idea that Mopar had refurbished rotors. I figured that machining the faces was pretty much a thing of the past. I'll be sure to clean and lube the caliper pins when I do the job. It's pretty much standard practice for me with all brake jobs. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
25,432 Posts
Some parts recyclers have "turned" OE rotors. Body shops use them.
The Dealerships will have a turning machine as well. Still a few around.
Rotors are getting more expensive, even cheap ones aren't cheap, if worth buying, so turning makes sense.

·
Super Moderator
25,432 Posts
Some info that may be helpful"
Torques:
Front caliper bracket: 125 ft. lb.; Rear 74 ft.lb
Guide bolts: 26 ft.lb. front and rear

Front Brake Parts: Sangsters/Bumper to Bumper
Raybestos WS1-153068 coated rotor 12.99": $73.98 each
Raybestos MGD1589CH: brake pad set: $90.98
Raybestos SC2069 Rebuilt/Plated Caliper with Bracket: $105.58
plus tax in all cases

An Amazon price:

Reactions: 06DGC

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks for the info! I appreciate that. Man, I've been brake parts shopping and it's confusing. I see 302mm front rotors and 328mm and 330mm front rotors. Then, reference to 11.9", 12" and 12.9" rear rotors. I'm afraid I'll end up ordering the wrong parts. I assume I have 330mm front rotors and 12.9" rear rotors, but not sure. Some parts places (online) don't differentiate between the regular, Touring and Limited models. If I buy at the dealer - at inflated prices - at least I know I'm getting the right parts as they'll go from the VIN. I don't have a build sheet on the van. I can save a pile ordering online from partsavatar, for example.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
What do you think of these, Jeepman? Reviews are positive.

Literally 90% of the driving we do is on the highway. I have exactly one stop sign and one yield sign between our house and work and it's about 15 km. Furthermore, The van will mainly be used on weekends and occasionally during the week, as we have two other vehicles (well 3 if you include my project car). I have used cheap Durago rotors from Rockauto with great results, probably due to all the highway driving. I am tempted to try these. If I do, most likely the blanks.

Not a big fan of drilled rotors. No direct experience, but have hear not great things.

Drilled

Would prefer these.

Blanks

I'm tempted to give them a try.

Here is another option:

Parts avatar Transit Warehouse Rotor

·
Super Moderator
25,432 Posts

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Here's my potential rockauto order. Shipping is around $150.00

EDIT: forgot pads. Looks like there are better options as kits on rockauto.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Any issues with a 99 Load index tire on the T&C? Van calls for 102 LI. I found a near new set of winter tires in 225/60R17. I know my speedo will be off a touch, but just wondering about the tires ability to cope with the van's mass. Typical 102 apparently are rated for 1874lbs vs 1709 for the 99LI. I can't see it being a problem as tires need to withstand heavy loads, additional hitch weight etc and are inherently over-engineered. The most I'd be trucking around is myself, my wife, two small kids and maybe a few bags etc. Thoughts? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
25,432 Posts
Don't compromise on the tires unless you have to. Nice vehicle = nice tires.

Winter tires tend to have a lower speed rating than all season tires but that's about it.

The higher the profile, the better pot hole resistance you will have.

Having said that, the 225/60R17 should work ok. How much tread is left on the tires before you reach the 4/32" depth? How sticky is your Insurance Company?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Don't compromise on the tires unless you have to. Nice vehicle = nice tires.

Winter tires tend to have a lower speed rating than all season tires but that's about it.

The higher the profile, the better pot hole resistance you will have.

Having said that, the 225/60R17 should work ok. How much tread is left on the tires before you reach the 4/32" depth? How sticky is your Insurance Company?
Good points. I plan to bring along my tire depth gauge tomorrow when I look at the tires. The woman I spoke with said she only put a few hundred kilometers on them before she switched cars. Here is the listing for the tires I'm considering, and the wheels I bought today.

Winter Tires

I'm going to sand these down, apply epoxy primer and paint the wheels. Then, like all my winter wheels, they'll get a liberal application of Rust Check Coat and Protect.

Steel Wheels

Oh, I picked the van up today. What a lovely ride home. I was pleasantly surprised by how little the gas gauge dropped on the 70 km trip home. Almost unnoticeable. I learned a few things about the van, such as the awesome info center between the tach and speedo. I love seeing the coolant, temp and oil pressure - even though they're in metric units. I managed to get all four tires at exactly 248 kilopascals according to the TPMS. Even though the van could use new tires, it is remarkably smooth, yet tight and responsive. The transmission shifts are almost imperceptible. Very happy right now!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just went through this. I could have saved money going with 99 load index but at the end I have 7 people in the van at once so I decided to spend extra on 102 load tire. Congrats and enjoy.

·
Super Moderator
25,432 Posts
Oh, I picked the van up today. What a lovely ride home. I was pleasantly surprised by how little the gas gauge dropped on the 70 km trip home. Almost unnoticeable. I learned a few things about the van, such as the awesome info center between the tach and speedo. I love seeing the coolant, temp and oil pressure - even though they're in metric units. I managed to get all four tires at exactly 248 kilopascals according to the TPMS. Even though the van could use new tires, it is remarkably smooth, yet tight and responsive. The transmission shifts are almost imperceptible. Very happy right now!
The EVIC has a metric conversion.

Reactions: 06DGC

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just throwing this out there, but i have a 14 dgc and I went with husky weather beater liners due to them sitting up higher on the edges and more coverage on the dead pedal. I like the more rigid material than weather tech which my sister has in her sienna. Also her weather techs are peeling in certain lip areas and they aren't even that old. Mine are still looking great. It's nice to have her van to compare mine to .

·
Registered
2015 Chrysler T&C Touring L 34,500 miles (Brilliant Black w/Black Leather)
7 Posts
A bit more information per my PM to you.

The oil filter is the older type of cartridge filter.
2013 CHRYSLER TOWN & COUNTRY 3.6L V6 Oil Filter | RockAuto
RockAuto ships auto parts and body parts from over 300 manufacturers to customers' doors worldwide, all at warehouse prices. Easy to use parts catalog.
www.rockauto.com

The Y fittings for heater lines: 2013 CHRYSLER TOWN & COUNTRY 3.6L V6 Heater Hose Connector | RockAuto

Complaints:
Chrysler Town & Country Problems

Hey Jeepman, thanks for the site carcomplaints.com it is very informative.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Any issues with a 99 Load index tire on the T&C? Van calls for 102 LI. I found a near new set of winter tires in 225/60R17. I know my speedo will be off a touch, but just wondering about the tires ability to cope with the van's mass. Typical 102 apparently are rated for 1874lbs vs 1709 for the 99LI. I can't see it being a problem as tires need to withstand heavy loads, additional hitch weight etc and are inherently over-engineered. The most I'd be trucking around is myself, my wife, two small kids and maybe a few bags etc. Thoughts? Thanks!
You van came stock with P225 65R17 tires rated at 1764 lbs. Why would you want to put a smaller, under rated tire on it? Your speedo will be off and tires will not meet your loaded handling requirements that FCA designed it for.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just a warning about the power third seat if you have it. Be sure the headrests are down and any liner you put in make sure its clear of the seat legs when raising the rear seat. If anything interferes with the seat legs on the floor it will not be happy.

These are great vans.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
You van came stock with P225 65R17 tires rated at 1764 lbs. Why would you want to put a smaller, under rated tire on it? Your speedo will be off and tires will not meet your loaded handling requirements that FCA designed it for.
I've seen 100 LI tires listed for this van. The tires I bought are rated for 1709 lbs. I expect FCA - and all manufacturers - selects a tire based upon the gross load of the vehicle. That would likely be 7 full-sized adults plus additional cargo. They would even have to take into account additional load associated with the tongue load of a trailer hitch. Then they would probably add in overhead for extreme conditions, such as hitting a large pothole at speed. Given the less than 60 lbs capacity difference (100LI vs 99LI), I will not worry about their ability to handle the conditions they will see. The gross weight of the van is ~6000lbs and the curb weight around 4600lbs. That's a carrying capacity of close to 1400lbs. The max our van would ever see for passengers and cargo would be 500 - 600lbs. Would I consider going much lower than a 99 index tire? No, but I'm confident that these tires are more than up to the task. I expect too, that the tire manufacturers build in an extra safety margin given that tires deteriorate with age and fall below their original specs. I called a tire shop and explained the situation. The tech said that I shouldn't have any issue with these tires from a load capacity, just that my speedo would be off. I think these tires are very close to the 3% recommended size difference.

I do know that other tires manufacturers will recommend staying with the exact or a higher LI, but a quote from "TiresPlus.com: "To determine if a set of tires will work on your particular car, use the tire load index chart to see how many pounds each tire can support. Multiply that by four (since your vehicle will use four tires). As long as that number is greater than the GVWR of your vehicle, those tires should work". 1709 x 4 = 6836lbs. T&C gross weight is 6050lbs, so I'm confident in these.

Reactions: LEVY

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Picked up my Mopar steel wheels yesterday and removed the old tires. They were pretty much worn out. Rims are in great shape with very minimal rust. Not bad for $100.00. I picked up my tires today for $200.00. Pics below.

Every time I drive this amazing van, I discover something new. Tonight it was the automatic high beams. I'm super impressed with the engineering behind that. They work flawlessly; dropping to low beam as cars pass, kicking high beam on when the passing car is at an appropriate distance. I explored the EVIC and - thanks Jeepman - I switched units to standard. Although my odometer is in miles, I get degrees F for coolant, and oil temp, and psi for oil pressure and tire pressure. I'm old school (and just plain old) but some day I'll brush up on metric measurements.

I did some shopping today. Picked up 8L of ATF+4, an oil filter at Walmart. From Rockauto, I ordered a trans pan with drain, aluminum heater hose Y replacement kit, a spare oil filter bypass valve kit and a WIX transmission filter. From PartsAvatar, I ordered coated front and rear rotors and ceramic pads. I have a local lead on a complete set of WeatherTech floor liners. The previous owner already bought a WeatherTech trunk liner, so if I can get these used WeatherTechs at a good price, I'll go for those. If not, I'll look into the Husky Liners as suggested by caravan84.

Tires and wheels:

21 - 40 of 102 Posts