The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
CB2, meant root cause for the current forum thread.

Just FYI, I moved all the harness away from the hot manifold around 2005 per forum advice. No harness issue after changing all the heater hoses in that area ~2010 while likely bumping that harness. No issue in 2015 when the plastic reducer cracked. Then when the reducer failed again in 2018, I immediately started stalling (even at high speeds) plus throwing tranny and throttle codes. That 2018 harness movement made Swiss cheese of the insulation-like good bbq falling off the bone so degradation was just slowed, not stopped, in my situation.

I replaced with a new freebie harness so only time will tell, but I did wrap it with metal foil tape to reduce radiative heat transfer so no longer a black body.

I recall hearing or reading somewhere that the original harness insulator grade was substandard for this application, but I doubt dodge would put that in writing. More to this point: has anyone had to replace the main harness under and connected to this troublesome injector harness since that may have had a different grade insulator, albeit it might be cooler down there?

·
3rd gen > all others
2,772 Posts
If it runs well at WOT only and not anywhere else, peel open that harness insulation and inspect! That is exactly what a friend's 2001 AWD van did, and a shop wanted to tear the heads off the engine because they couldn't find the problem. I searched on this forum, got a different harness, went to their house and replaced the fried harness for $20 and amazed the heck out of them. Glad that harness didn't damage the computer, because it can.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I think we are on the same page Buff, just confused on my wording.

I believe that if you replace the harness and put it right back where it got melted the first time, that it will melt again.
If you use a less expensive alternative part, and install it the way Chrysler originally installed it, it will likely melt again, but even sooner this time.

Shielding, insulating, and repositioning are steps I would recommend to prevent reoccurance.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts