The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Chrysler Town & Country
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new owner of a 2009 Town & Country Touring 25th Anniversary package. It's in great shape, 142k and only one small rust spot that I've found on it so far. I'm going to put some effort into restoring the leather on the interior and buff out some scratches and dings that I've found.

What would be some good upgrades that I could do for myself? Here's some things that I've thought of, do they sound reasonable, or does somebody with more experience have some suggestions?

1. I think I would like more light behind me when I back up. I thought about replacing the standard lamps with LEDs and a balancer kit, but looking at the casing I'm not sure if installing brighter LEDs would actually make much of a difference. So I'm thinking maybe instead grabbing a square panel of LEDs and flush mounting them under the bumper and then wiring that into the rear backup lamps.

2. Is there a nice front headlight LED DRL kit that I can install, maybe something that doubles as a turn signal indicator?

3. Infotainment system has Sirius (inactive), but doesn't appear to have uConnect nor the navigation system. It looks like I could replace it with a factory HU that does for around $200, but the fact will remain that the nav system will no longer be updated, plus overall the system is kind of dated. Any suggestion on a replacement unit and wiring stuff to go with it? Just doing a little bit of pricing it looks like this can get really expensive, really quick and honestly I don't want to sink a lot of money into it, especially when a more thrifty (and slightly tacky) option is to go buy a $100 Android tablet, connect it via AUX and slap it over the HU with some velcro.

BONUS: HD Radio would be awesome (and more useful than Sirius) but pricing out the available HD Radio HUs these thing are way overpriced, at least the ones I've seen listed on HD Radio's website. It almost feels like it would be better to replace the double DIN with two single DIN units, one with a cheaper radio w/ HD Radio option and one that has a pop-up screen to run Android stuff from. But, again, I don't want to sink a lot of money into this.

4. The wireless headphones and remote are missing for the VES system. Any cheap/decent replacements for them? Honestly I don't know if they will ever get use, I'm about to be an empty nester and probably not going on trips where I'll have people in the back or even interested in using it.

5. For that matter, is VES even really worth having now? It all looks pretty non-upgradable to me. I've pretty much eliminated all of my DVD collection, and what few media I do have is Blu-Ray. The rear connectors are analog RCA but all your new stuff for game consoles and players is HDMI.

Any other ideas, or cool mods that you've done to your own T&C?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Your priority would be its overall mechanical integrity... Is it the 4.0 engine? Keep an eye on your engine oil level, as well as probable vacuum leaks. I switched from 10W-30 to synthetic 5W-40... How are the brakes?

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
289 Posts
I'm a new owner of a 2009 Town & Country Touring 25th Anniversary package. It's in great shape, 142k and only one small rust spot that I've found on it so far. I'm going to put some effort into restoring the leather on the interior and buff out some scratches and dings that I've found.

What would be some good upgrades that I could do for myself? Here's some things that I've thought of, do they sound reasonable, or does somebody with more experience have some suggestions?

1. I think I would like more light behind me when I back up. I thought about replacing the standard lamps with LEDs and a balancer kit, but looking at the casing I'm not sure if installing brighter LEDs would actually make much of a difference. So I'm thinking maybe instead grabbing a square panel of LEDs and flush mounting them under the bumper and then wiring that into the rear backup lamps.

2. Is there a nice front headlight LED DRL kit that I can install, maybe something that doubles as a turn signal indicator?

3. Infotainment system has Sirius (inactive), but doesn't appear to have uConnect nor the navigation system. It looks like I could replace it with a factory HU that does for around $200, but the fact will remain that the nav system will no longer be updated, plus overall the system is kind of dated. Any suggestion on a replacement unit and wiring stuff to go with it? Just doing a little bit of pricing it looks like this can get really expensive, really quick and honestly I don't want to sink a lot of money into it, especially when a more thrifty (and slightly tacky) option is to go buy a $100 Android tablet, connect it via AUX and slap it over the HU with some velcro.

BONUS: HD Radio would be awesome (and more useful than Sirius) but pricing out the available HD Radio HUs these thing are way overpriced, at least the ones I've seen listed on HD Radio's website. It almost feels like it would be better to replace the double DIN with two single DIN units, one with a cheaper radio w/ HD Radio option and one that has a pop-up screen to run Android stuff from. But, again, I don't want to sink a lot of money into this.

4. The wireless headphones and remote are missing for the VES system. Any cheap/decent replacements for them? Honestly I don't know if they will ever get use, I'm about to be an empty nester and probably not going on trips where I'll have people in the back or even interested in using it.

5. For that matter, is VES even really worth having now? It all looks pretty non-upgradable to me. I've pretty much eliminated all of my DVD collection, and what few media I do have is Blu-Ray. The rear connectors are analog RCA but all your new stuff for game consoles and players is HDMI.

Any other ideas, or cool mods that you've done to your own T&C?
All good plans, the VES headsets and remote you can find at the auto wrecker, I found a bunch at my local one but I don't need them. You could also find used ones for not too hight of a price as well.

The VES system isn't actually that bad, you can actually hook up a laptop someway, the rear VES system has a 3 plug connector red blue and white, the type on old TV's. If you get an adapter you might be able to hook up a laptop or something and play movies with that.

It also depends what you'd like to upgrade and or add. My 09 SE I have upgraded the base 4 speaker system to the premium 10 speaker with the infinity amplifier, added the center and driver side auto dim mirrors, manual 3 zone climate to automatic 3 zone climate, heated mirrors, turn signals on mirrors, added the cabin air filter, added the factory remote start system and the factory remote start antenna for extended range, swapped out the base cluster for one with a tach and info display, and now currently trying to find a high end cluster which shows individual tire pressures as well as displays various messages and radio info under the temp/compass display. I have made guides about these, some other members have also made guides as well. Programming is necessary, but the program costs 50$, and it's unlimited access to programming, diagnostics, and various other features.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your priority would be its overall mechanical integrity... Is it the 4.0 engine? Keep an eye on your engine oil level, as well as probable vacuum leaks. I switched from 10W-30 to synthetic 5W-40... How are the brakes?
It's mechanically sound. Previous owner took very good care of it, regular 3K oil changes. I did have to replace a sticking front passenger brake caliper, had a full inspection done, all else is good. It's getting a full wheel alignment next week.

It also depends what you'd like to upgrade and or add. My 09 SE I have upgraded the base 4 speaker system to the premium 10 speaker with the infinity amplifier, added the center and driver side auto dim mirrors, manual 3 zone climate to automatic 3 zone climate, heated mirrors, turn signals on mirrors, added the cabin air filter, added the factory remote start system and the factory remote start antenna for extended range, swapped out the base cluster for one with a tach and info display, and now currently trying to find a high end cluster which shows individual tire pressures as well as displays various messages and radio info under the temp/compass display. I have made guides about these, some other members have also made guides as well. Programming is necessary, but the program costs 50$, and it's unlimited access to programming, diagnostics, and various other features.
Wow, that's a lot of nice upgrades! I probably won't get into a speaker upgrade (99% of my listening is NPR, really). Heated and auto-dim mirrors with turn signals sounds great.

Air cabin fitter? YES. OMG this drove me nuts trying to figure out how to do this and then finding that it's completely missing!

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
289 Posts
What ? Add a cabin filter. ?? Great. Where do I find the guide??
There isn't one, but it's not too bad to do. You have to take the front defrost top cover off, you pry from the drivers side and work to the passenger side then grab a corner, pull, and off that piece goes. Upper and lower glove boxes needs to come out, then one 10mm bolt secures the top of the housing and 4 or 5 torx screws (which are a gold colour) secure the housing to the blower below. Then wiggle it out, and slide in the housing with the cabin air filter slot, secure the gold colored torx screws, secure the bolt, and bam you got a cabin air filter!

I really should make a video guide, quite a few people have asked me about this already.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
289 Posts
It's mechanically sound. Previous owner took very good care of it, regular 3K oil changes. I did have to replace a sticking front passenger brake caliper, had a full inspection done, all else is good. It's getting a full wheel alignment next week.

Wow, that's a lot of nice upgrades! I probably won't get into a speaker upgrade (99% of my listening is NPR, really). Heated and auto-dim mirrors with turn signals sounds great.

Air cabin fitter? YES. OMG this drove me nuts trying to figure out how to do this and then finding that it's completely missing!
Just know you need programming to actually activate the mirror turn signals, or the dealer can enable them for you as well.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Some of the newer vans do have HDMI input next to the RCA jacks and some also have a Bluray player instead of the standard DVD. I'm not sure what years or if they are interchangeable though.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
What year/model did you find that had the air filter housing? I haven't seen any yet at the pull a part, but, I am looking.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
559 Posts
When it comes to DIY factory upgrades, the main person on this forum to look for is steffen.m. He posts a lot of his best stuff on the Lancia forums, but occasionally he translates them into English and posts here.

I've personally done a good bit of non-factory mods to mine. I have under-dash bass sensitive mood lighting, 10" subwoofer below the front passenger seat, amp hidden beside glove box, dash camera, underglow that reacts to my turn signals, LED switchback front turn signals/markers, HID Lo beam conversion (previously LED), LED DRL/Hi beams, LED fog lights, and a bunch of performance mods that you probably don't care about. Let me know if you want to do any of that and I'll dig up parts lists.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
559 Posts
Yes, but a lot of the interior and programming stuff is interchangeable with the older ones.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
289 Posts
What year/model did you find that had the air filter housing? I haven't seen any yet at the pull a part, but, I am looking.
The air filter is only on vans that had the automatic temperature controls from years 08-10. So any T&C or GCV with automatic digital temperature controls will have the cabin air filter. That's most likely why you haven't found any, Dodge caravans very rarely had the auto climate, T&C had it more often, the limited is guaranteed to have auto climate, whereas the SXT likely won't.

Not sure about 2011 and newer, it might have been standard to have it but I am not sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
... underglow that reacts to my turn signals, LED switchback front turn signals/markers, HID Lo beam conversion (previously LED), LED DRL/Hi beams, LED fog lights...
These sound interesting to me. Would love to see some photos!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts