The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

GeorgeF's Excellent OBD Fusion Custom Transmission Level Gauge

11K views 45 replies 12 participants last post by  97K15004WD 
#1 ·
George sent me the gauge that he and his son created. Clearly, an intelligent father and son duo! I installed it today and it's a thing of beauty. Having a lot of fun with OBD Fusion app. As mentioned in an earlier post, I like it much more than Torque, which I've been using for years. The Torque Converter Slip in the bottom of the first pic is just a gauge I added as I was playing around. It's not part of George's gauge.

George's Gauge:

Other Transmission Data

Some Engine Data

See less See more
#4 ·
I bought the enhanced PIDs package for $13.99. George's gauge may work without the enhanced PIDS upgrade.

#3 · (Edited)
GeorgeF's Excellent OBD Fusion Custom Transmission Level Gauge
I thought you were talking about his high tech plastic transmission dipstick, until I saw all the numbers.
:)

Impressive work georgef. (y)

#5 ·
Hmmm, gotta check out this dipstick. So far I'm sold on the George line of products. (y)

Reactions: Jeepman
#12 · (Edited)

Shhhh, Marvinstockman might be listening. :)

Can't wait till I get old enough that people will take pictures with me in my cowboy boots and blue jeans. ha, ha

I still have lots of hair so don't need to wear a cowboy hat. A Jeep hat will do.

Reactions: 06DGC and LEVY
#20 ·
Many thanks for the details on how to implement George's approach. A couple of questions:

--Does this process work for both iOS and Android? (I'm an android user, with the most recent Android OS.)

--What OBD Fusion hardware works well (especially with Android)? Their website lists a number of OBD code readers, ranging in price and, I assume, capabilities.

(This is so cool, it looks like it could be worth it to use a dedicated hardware device with it, such as an old phone or tablet.... Anybody done that?)

Thanks again,

ValleyRock

(2014 Chrysler T&C with 46,000 miles).

#23 ·
Many thanks for the details on how to implement George's approach...
You're welcome, once @06DGC proved out the import process I felt comfortable posting it here.

--Does this process work for both iOS and Android? (I'm an android user, with the most recent Android OS.)
There is an iOS version of OBD Fusion and OBDLink, I know the .stg files are compatible between iOS or Android. I have never used the iOS version so I don't know if the procedure is the same or not.

--What OBD Fusion hardware works well (especially with Android)?
I'm using the OBDLink LX bluetooth scan tool.

One day I plan to upgrade to the OBDLink MX+ which gives you free unlimited access to the enhanced PID's for all available manufactures. The enhanced PID's is what @06DGC paid $13.99 for just one manufacturer (FCA). The MX+ is also compatible with iOS as well as Android.

A good source of information for the OBDLink tools and software is the forum at www.scantool.net.

#21 ·
ValleyRock, this is the OBD Fusion software that I installed.

OBD Fusion

I have a factory fit Android touch screen in my 2ZR-swapped turbo Yaris on which I am currently running Torque Pro. I intend to uninstall that and run OBD Fusion - once I look at it's capabilities with the Toyota ECU, of course.

#26 ·
So I downloaded the OBD Fusion app (Android), downloaded and installed George's custom PID's, plugged in and paired my new Vgate iCar Pro BT3.0 OBD reader, and saw that the trans temp on my 2016 DGC was 1021F. Obviously the mm dipstick values were waaaaaay off, they were a 5 digit number. So I restarted the phone and got the same reading. I then stopped OBD Fusion and started Torque Pro and, using the Jeep pre 2012 trans temp PID, got the same 1021 degrees F reading.

Questions:
1. Does the brain in my van really think the trans temp is 1021F? If so, wouldn't there be some other indication like a check engine light? Or some really bizarre shifting?

2. If the sensor really is effed is it serviceable by itself via a pan drop or part of something expensive and time consuming to replace? For example the temp sensor on my 05 Crown Vic is part of the internal connector assembly which is relatively easy to replace and is pretty cheap, something like $25 or so. I'm not really familiar with the internals of the Dodge 62TE except for doing a fluid and filter change (I rebuilt the Ford trans myself a few years ago so I'm familiar with it).

3. Any other PID equations I could try?

#30 ·
...and saw that the trans temp on my 2016 DGC was 1021F...
Was your engine running at the time? If I remember correctly you will get a reading like that if the engine is off.

#27 ·
This morning I downloaded the 'extras' PID pack on the OBD Fusion app. One of the added PID's is "Temperature Data (62TE) - Transmission Oil Temperature" and it shows -28.6F. The ambient temp this morning is 66F. The van has not been run yet today.

Also, I did some searching and found that the temp sensor is part of the "Transmission Range Sensor", which I'm not going to replace yet on a trans that seems to be working fine.

#29 ·
I got a copy of the ATSG repair guide for the 62TE and located the pinout and value for the temp sensor. At 70F it's supposed to be 11K ohms. On my van, at 74F ambient, engine not run since last night, the reading is 11.09k ohms as measured at the trans case connector.. So it looks like the temp sensor is working properly.

Anybody else out there have a 2016 that, using either Torque or OBDFusion, can measure their transmission temp and get a reading that makes sense? If so, what OBD dongle are you using? And what PID equation? It just doesn't seem right that I get such wildly different readings depending on which app I use, and with OBDFusion two different PID definitions within the same app (George's and the extra pay-for PIDs from the OBDFusion people).

#32 ·
Yeah, I found the same thing with the add-on pack gauge. I just plucked George's code and put a gauge on my transmission dashboard in OBD Fusion. I think George's is accurate. I checked OBD fusion against AppCar diagFCA and got almost identical readings. And, the difference might just have been because of the time to disconnect OBD Fusion from the bluetooth and connect AppCardiagFCA. I haven't tried feeding two apps from the dongle in this application, but have experienced connectivity issues doing so in the past.

#33 ·
...I checked OBD fusion against AppCar diagFCA and got almost identical readings...
I found the same thing:

I also check it against a thermometer down the dipstick tube:

Reactions: 06DGC
#40 ·
The app doesn't actually tell you what the fluid level is, only what it should be at the given temperature (so you don't have to look up what the level should be on a graph). You still need to use some sort of dipstick the measure the actual fluid level.

Reactions: 97K15004WD
#39 ·
That reminds me to monitor my transmission fluid level, with these colder temperatures, using the "cold turkey" method. It's been consistent so far at 95 mm on the dipstick.

#41 ·
90 mm yesterday, December 1st, 0C ambient temperature, 95 mm today, 10C ambient temperature. That fluctuation is fine. I don't think I have ever seen more than 5 mm fluctuation from 95mm on my Van.
Pretty darn consistent. Measuring with whatever thermometer won't give that consistency on the dipstick, I'm thinking.

#45 ·
Wow, this is awesome - Thank you so much for this!
You're welcome.

There is a Zero in the middle of the "gauges" that says it's tied to "Wake Up (Chrysler)". What is the purpose of this "gauge"?
As I recall that "guage" sends a "request" that allows the app to communicate with the module that has the transmission temperature. I believe you can safely delete it now, as I understand, the app now automatically communicates with the necessary modules on its own.

Reactions: 97K15004WD