The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
2,200 Posts
Reactions: JayW.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ugh not really sure what I'm even looking for. Got the 2012 Grand Caravan manual seat. Got an electric seat that I'm trying to wire up. Large red and small red and then black to ground? I guess what I'm wondering is if I'm getting voltage from the large red which is pin 21 and then the smaller red at the chassis Molex, would it be Plug and Play? Not to mention, are we talkin about the pin that's on the input of the tipm itself? Or is this just a fuse or a relay somewhere under the dash I know you said it was in the tipm in the hood compartment so there's that.
Got a line on a 20/20 manual seat was 510 miles on it.
And I'm also figuring out the cause for my backache no support lumbar is also the seat itself where it meets the backrest is very mushy
Ahh the joy of buying a new vehicle

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager Rallye
1,051 Posts
On my third gen, the fat red to B+ and black to ground were already there. Then I soldered a wire to the Fused Ignition + on the backside of my cigarette lighter plug to go to the white wire on my seat.

Spliced all 3 wires to the passenger side under the carpet, now I have both front 8 way heated leather seats

I only use the electric seat functions maybe once a year, I use the heated seat function daily in winter

(y)

Reactions: JayW.

·
Registered
18 Posts
On my third gen, the fat red to B+ and black to ground were already there. Then I soldered a wire to the Fused Ignition + on the backside of my cigarette lighter plug to go to the white wire on my seat.

Spliced all 3 wires to the passenger side under the carpet, now I have both front 8 way heated leather seats

I only use the electric seat functions maybe once a year, I use the heated seat function daily in winter

(y)
Awesome. Thanks a lot man I certainly appreciate your feedback. Like you said once the seat is adjusted probably will never need the motor functions again but I will try it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi hoping Steffen.M might be able to help with this. I bought a black leather front passenger seat from a 2014 T&C to replace the tan leather front passenger seat in my 2012 T&C. Then I noticed that the under-seat connections are different. The 2012 has 2 separate connectors, a smaller yellow connector with 4 pins (for the airbag?), and then a bigger white connector with many more pins. Whereas my 2014 seat has only 1 large yellow connector., with many pins (no separate 4-pin connector for the airbag, I'm presuming) Is there any way to rewire things to make the 2014 seat connectable to my 2012 T&C body? Luckily, I have the complete pigtail from the 2014 black leather seat, so I could use that to help make this work. Any suggestions from Steffen.M., or anyone that might have insight into what I'm attempting ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm trying this myself as well. I've got a 2011 GC Mainstreet with a manual seat. Long story short, it worked ok, but now my airbag light is on. Any ideas?

Here's more details on what the process and what I found for anybody looking to do the same:

Step 1) I checked the wiring and I had 11 wires total coming from the van floor, the 4 in the yellow plug and the other 7 in the larger white 24 pin connector. On the manual seat, there are only 6 wires, so 1 of the wires provided by the van is unused by the manual seat. It is a larger gauge red wire that comes into I believe pin 21 as steffen.m mentioned. So I believe I have unused power coming to the seat. Checked the large gauge red and black wires with multimeter and confirmed they are hot.

Step 2) Went to local salvage yard to look at 2 seat options. First was a 2012 GC. The seat had been out in the weather (probably for years) and looked nasty, but I checked the wiring in the floor of that van and it matched exactly the 11 wires in my van. This confirms that I think the wiring in my van is what I need. Second option was in a 2011 T&C. The wiring in the floor of the van has the 24 pin connector totally full, which I believe support other features like the heated seats, etc. This seat was in good condition and the wiring in the 24 pin connector on the seat side had 8 wires, the 7 my van has and one more larger orange/red wire in pin 15 I think. I bought this seat.

Step 3) Since I don't have the tools to jack the van up and pull the seat out, nor the T50 Torx bit needed to remove the seatbelt, I paid my mechanic to swap them out for me. He called with good news. The seat was plug and play and all power functions (forward, back, up, down, recline, and power lumbar) work great.

Now to the bad news, the airbag light is on now after the swap. The light has been on once before with the manual seat when I first bought the van and the local Dodge dealer was able to clear it by messing with seatbelt sensor wiring under the driver's seat. So, I'm hoping maybe that same connection is just loose again if my mechanic wasn't careful to be sure it was super tight. I'll try that tonight. I've also heard it's possible that the occupant sensors in the seat are tied to the VIN number of the van it was in. Does anyone know if that is the case? And if so, I assume I will have to pay to have a dealer update the computer? I'll pull the negative battery cable for a while tonight and hook it back up just in case a reset of the system that way might re-learn the new seat sensor.

I'll update when I get it taken care of.
So are you saying that when you install the electric seat it was 100% plug and play with no modifications to the wiring needed?
I'm trying this myself as well. I've got a 2011 GC Mainstreet with a manual seat. Long story short, it worked ok, but now my airbag light is on. Any ideas?

Here's more details on what the process and what I found for anybody looking to do the same:

Step 1) I checked the wiring and I had 11 wires total coming from the van floor, the 4 in the yellow plug and the other 7 in the larger white 24 pin connector. On the manual seat, there are only 6 wires, so 1 of the wires provided by the van is unused by the manual seat. It is a larger gauge red wire that comes into I believe pin 21 as steffen.m mentioned. So I believe I have unused power coming to the seat. Checked the large gauge red and black wires with multimeter and confirmed they are hot.

Step 2) Went to local salvage yard to look at 2 seat options. First was a 2012 GC. The seat had been out in the weather (probably for years) and looked nasty, but I checked the wiring in the floor of that van and it matched exactly the 11 wires in my van. This confirms that I think the wiring in my van is what I need. Second option was in a 2011 T&C. The wiring in the floor of the van has the 24 pin connector totally full, which I believe support other features like the heated seats, etc. This seat was in good condition and the wiring in the 24 pin connector on the seat side had 8 wires, the 7 my van has and one more larger orange/red wire in pin 15 I think. I bought this seat.

Step 3) Since I don't have the tools to jack the van up and pull the seat out, nor the T50 Torx bit needed to remove the seatbelt, I paid my mechanic to swap them out for me. He called with good news. The seat was plug and play and all power functions (forward, back, up, down, recline, and power lumbar) work great.

Now to the bad news, the airbag light is on now after the swap. The light has been on once before with the manual seat when I first bought the van and the local Dodge dealer was able to clear it by messing with seatbelt sensor wiring under the driver's seat. So, I'm hoping maybe that same connection is just loose again if my mechanic wasn't careful to be sure it was super tight. I'll try that tonight. I've also heard it's possible that the occupant sensors in the seat are tied to the VIN number of the van it was in. Does anyone know if that is the case? And if so, I assume I will have to pay to have a dealer update the computer? I'll pull the negative battery cable for a while tonight and hook it back up just in case a reset of the system that way might re-learn the new seat sensor.

I'll update when I get it taken care of.
So are you saying that when your mechanic installed the electric seat it was 100% Plug and Play and No modification to the wiring was needed?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oh yeah. I just saw that the link in my post was lost. I didn't notice, but georgef has now posted it. Thanks
Yeah man, I need some help. I guess I just discovered LOL that I have a ram cargo van 2012 so the harness coming from the tipm doesn't have that power wire let me ask you, isn't there just a way I could take a wire from pin 21 from the 40 weigh at the seat to the engine compartment on top of the tipm where all the fuses are, find the appropriate voltage in one of those to operate the electric seat do you think?. And of course can you just theoretically get power from a cigarette lighter to operate the seat
Thank you kindly

21 - 31 of 31 Posts