The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took the vehicle in to have them diagnose a bizarre ticking that was coming from the vehicle while it was idling once warm. It almost sounded like a belt or pulley that was hitting something. But I could not hear it when I would open the hood because the rest of the engine sounds would drown it out.

After an hour and a half it was finally determined that the noise was coming from the flywheel. When they took the cover off it was cracked in multiple places.

Needless to say, I was quick to book it in for the repair. Unfortunately, it’s an 8 to 10 hour job that requires dropping the transmission to gain access to the flywheel.

It’s a 2014 T&C with 165,000 km on it. My mechanic told me he has not seen very many of these types of these failures. Anyone else have the same experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
13,848 Posts
Took the vehicle in to have them diagnose a bizarre ticking that was coming from the vehicle while it was idling once warm. It almost sounded like a belt or pulley that was hitting something. But I could not hear it when I would open the hood because the rest of the engine sounds would drown it out.

After an hour and a half it was finally determined that the noise was coming from the flywheel. When they took the cover off it was cracked in multiple places.

Needless to say, I was quick to book it in for the repair. Unfortunately, it’s an 8 to 10 hour job that requires dropping the transmission to gain access to the flywheel.

It’s a 2013 T&C with 165,000 km on it. My mechanic told me he has not seen very many of these types of these failures. Anyone else have the same experience?

Tell your mechanic that this happens more often than he thinks.

Also tell your mechanic our vehicles don't have flywheels, just a simple flexplate.

Happens fairly often.

·
Premium Member
2009 Chrysler Town and Country
620 Posts

It’s a 2013 T&C with 165,000 km on it. My mechanic told me he has not seen very many of these types of these failures. Anyone else have the same experience?

Well your mechanic must have not been in business long 😃. We've had three in six months these are typical . Ironically they were all DGCs but there all prone to failure .

When i had my trans out of my 09 TC last year I replaced it just because. There was nothing wrong with the one that was in there in fact i still have it . Just don't need that head ache 😆

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well your mechanic must have not been in business long . We've had three in six months these are typical . Ironically they were all DGCs but there all prone to failure .

When i had my trans out of my 09 TC last year I replaced it just because. There was nothing wrong with the one that was in there in fact i still have it . Just don't need that head ache
OK, excuse me, but this mechanic that you so quickly and willingly put down is a long time friend, a top rated and respected mechanic in this city, with a solid business, who has never done me wrong but only ever done me good for 17 years now. Does it make you feel good about yourself to shoot him down, even though you know absolutely nothing about him? Common man.

I welcome all constructive input and comments, or I would not have posted the thread. But please do not feel the need to tear down my mechanic just to make your self feel big or to make your point.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
13,848 Posts
OK, excuse me, but this mechanic that you so quickly and willingly put down is a long time friend, a top rated and respected mechanic in this city, with a solid business, who has never done me wrong but only ever done me good for 17 years now. Does it make you feel good about yourself to shoot him down, even though you know absolutely nothing about him? Common man.

I welcome all constructive input and comments, or I would not have posted the thread. But please do not feel the need to tear down my mechanic just to make your self feel big or to make your point.

Well, haven't heard a respected mechanic calling a flexplate a flywheel.

I don't believe Pgh_AL have said anything wrong about your very respected mechanic, just that maybe he hasn't been in business very long as he hasn't seen many of those failures.

Again, tell your very respected mechanic that piece is called flexplate not flywheel.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well thank you for your prompt replies.

I'm sorry to have raised the subject.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,064 Posts
Someone who doesn't do a lot of Dodge would be correct in thinking this isn't common... but for people who've done a good bit of Dodge FWD work, it's pretty common. It's not something that happens in most cars, but these have a bad habit of cracking flexplates.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts

Sorry I didn't mean it like that, sorry you took it that way. I didn't in no way mean to belittle your mechanic . I've been one for 50 plus years and I must admit I still haven't seen it all .

I in no way try to make myself feel big heck these vehicles today are more than challenging. Im an old guy and these young guys up and coming show me something new nearly everyday .

I work in a fast paced garage and i still haven't seen it all we help each other. I know for a fact that im no better than the next tech.

Please accept my apology

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry I didn't mean it like that, sorry you took it that way. I didn't in no way mean to belittle your mechanic . I've been one for 50 plus years and I must admit I still haven't seen it all .

I in no way try to make myself feel big heck these vehicles today are more than challenging. Im an old guy and these young guys up and coming show me something new nearly everyday .

I work in a fast paced garage and i still haven't seen it all we help each other. I know for a fact that im no better than the next tech.

Please accept my apology
I do appreciate that. Thank you.

It is a huge pet peeve of mine these days to see how free people in general seem to be to criticize ideas, actions and others. Granted it is more commonly seen on social media with self-proclaimed experts on issues such as politics, COVID, vaccines, etc... but the trend seems to extend out to many other subjects now as it becomes more and more common place. It really does bug the **** out of me.

LEVY’s first reply seemed to imply that my mechanic doesn’t know what he’s talking about (flex plate vs flywheel). Then your post seemed to suggest that perhaps he hadn’t been in business very long.

I did not see any prior posts when I quickly searched for flywheel issues and thought it worthwhile to begin a thread on the subject. Yet the initial responses seemed to be more centred around the pedigree of my mechanic than the actual issue. That, combined with an overall bad day at having an unexpected and rather significant repair bill, was the last straw.

In hindsight, I probably should have stepped back and closed the app instead of responding.

That all being said, I’m quite certain LEVY that my mechanic knows the difference between a flex plate and a flywheel. I didn’t (although I do now because I looked it up). Seems like a fairly common enough question actually. I suspect he referred to it as a flywheel for my benefit. After all, he had the correct part sitting on the counter this morning when I dropped off the van.

And, he actually has been in business for many years. He I s well known and respected in the community for his skill, integrity, state of the art shop, not to mention a great friend. Harder and harder things to come by these days. I feel lucky to have him. When I asked how common of a repair this was he indicated he hadn’t seen it very often. To be honest, this is my 6th minivan, 3 Ford’s and now 3 Caravans / T&C not to mention many other vehicles in my 50 years and it’s the first time I’ve ever had it happen to me, or ever heard anyone mention it happening to them. Not that I sit around with mechanics and talk shop... ever, not my field of expertise or experience.

I’m now quite disappointed to see that it’s a fairly common repair, from what I can see, on 3rd, 4th and 5th gens of this vehicle. You’d think that Dodge/Chrysler would have made improvements, especially if many other vehicle manufacturers have figured it out.

Regardless, mine is being repaired and I’m glad my mechanic diagnosed it for me before it stranded the family or did worse damage.

Overall, this 2014 T&C has been a great vehicle! So was our 2008 T&C before it. Our Ford Windstar’s always seemed to be plagued with transmission failures. Hopefully, our T&C will give us many more years of faithful service.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,064 Posts
Until it happened to Levy, I never had seen one. Then mine let loose a couple years later. Counting my own, I've only ever seen 3 flexplates with the centers ripped out in person. The other 2 being on the back of Ford 4.0s. And all of those were in 2019, so I had been a mechanic for well over 15 years and not seen one first hand. Your mechanic was just speaking from personal experience and not taking into account the common issues that he's never seen. When you've been doing this for a while you think you've seen everything until something you haven't rolls in. ;)

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Until it happened to Levy, I never had seen one. Then mine let loose a couple years later. Counting my own, I've only ever seen 3 flexplates with the centers ripped out in person. The other 2 being on the back of Ford 4.0s. And all of those were in 2019, so I had been a mechanic for well over 15 years and not seen one first hand. Your mechanic was just speaking from personal experience and not taking into account the common issues that he's never seen. When you've been doing this for a while you think you've seen everything until something you haven't rolls in. ;)
Not bragging or boasting but in my time wrenching I've seen Fords GMs and Chryslers do it .Heck I've bought a couple good cars cheap for this reason .

I bought a nice 72 Monte Carlo back in the day a guy i worked with sold it to me because he thought it spun a rod . I tried to tell him that i didn't think it did .

He said yeah it did his mechanic told him it did .I said well ok i gave him $100.00 for it he was happy . My next day off I really took a good look see.

Pulled the tranny and low and behold cracked flex plate . I had a Ford that i got cheap the same way but this one the flywheel did come loose from the flexplate . So I've seen some . Older Chrysler products too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The mid 90's Sebrings and Avengers also had cracked flexplate issues. The cracks would start between the lightening holes and if caught soon enough before the crack spread towards the hub, they could actually be welded inside the vehicle. In this case we were finding the cracks more during starter changes than from the ticking noise, and unfortunately by the time you heard them they were too bad to fix through the starter hole.

·
Registered
75 Posts

It’s a 2014 T&C with 165,000 km on it. My mechanic told me he has not seen very many of these types of these failures. Anyone else have the same experience?

Happens way to often. Wish the gov. would make them issue a recall. Mine sounded like a lifter going bad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Scuze my egnertz Beloveds, but what is the difference tween a flex plate & a flywheel?

And Also, does my 97 Grand Voyager with 283K on it have a flex plate or flywheel?

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
13,848 Posts
Scuze my egnertz Beloveds, but what is the difference tween a flex plate & a flywheel?

And Also, does my 97 Grand Voyager with 283K on it have a flex plate or flywheel?
Automatic transmissions use a light flexplate.

Std. transmissions use a heavy flywheel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts