The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to to replace the transmission filter and fluid on my 08. It probably has not been done since new. This does not replace the fluid in the torque converter. If I do this and run it for the summer and change it out again in the fall would enough fluid circulate through the torque converter to help? Dealership is asking mucho denero to do a flush and replace the filter and fluid.

·
Super Moderator
23,798 Posts
A drain and refill four times, running the vehicle a few or several miles in between, will get you a very high level of fluid exchange, near 100%. Honda uses that method. Chrysler also says it somewhere too, but I can't find it now. I think chrysler says three refills if you put the wrong fluid in. There's notice on it somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
23,798 Posts
Getting a transmission pan with a drain plug? The filter doesn't need to be change very often, if ever. I don't think you can even get at the filter on the 6 speed transmission, it's buried.

You can pump the fluid out through the filler tube to save messing with the pan.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 08 has the 3.3 litre with the 4 speed auto. I googled how to do that, just looks more messy than difficult.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,618 Posts
A drain and refill four times, running the vehicle a few or several miles in between, will get you a very high level of fluid exchange, near 100%.
I'm not so sure about that.

If you use some dyed diesel on your on-road vehicle, it will take over six months of daily driving (filling up many times) to completely get rid of the dyed diesel.

But, it should be good enough.

·
Super Moderator
23,798 Posts

If you use some dyed diesel on your on-road vehicle, it will take over six months of daily driving (filling up many times) to completely get rid of the dyed diesel.

You have to do the math with regard to how much is being replaced each time. After 4 times, less than a liter of the old stuff left.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I'm not looking for perfection here, van has 270,000 kms on it, the repair shop said fluid was dirty. So I thought if I did one now, one mid summer and one in the fall that should be better than nothing. They're asking around $400.00 dollars to do a change out. Filter set me back $13.00 plus fluid.

·
Super Moderator
23,798 Posts
I'm not looking for perfection here, van has 270,000 kms on it, the repair shop said fluid was dirty. So I thought if I did one now, one mid summer and one in the fall that should be better than nothing. They're asking around $400.00 dollars to do a change out. Filter set me back $13.00 plus fluid.
How did they know it was dirty. ATF+4 goes brown with age and smells awful anyway. Color and odour mean nothing with ATF+4.
If I were you I wouldn't consider changing the filter again. Many transmissions have the filter hidden deep in the transmission and never gets changed. The 6 speed is that way, I believe.

If you do the math and assume 50% replacement each time, it goes like this.
Change 1: 50% old fluid
Change 2: 25% old fluid
Change 3: 12.5% old fluid
Change 4: 6.25% old fluid left in the transmission

From this chart, from another site, based on Alldata apparently:

41TE/41AE Estimated Service Fill 4.0 qts (3.8L)
41TE/41AE Overhaul Capacity with Torque Converter Empty 9.2 qts (8.7L)

62TE Estimated Service Fill 5.5 qts (5.2L)
62TE Overhaul Capacity with Torque Converter Empty 9.0 qts (8.5L)

Using 9 quarts. .0625 x 9 = 0.56 liters of old fluid left.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How did they know it was dirty. ATF+4 goes brown with age and smells awful anyway. Color and odour mean nothing with ATF+4.
If I were you I wouldn't consider changing the filter again. Many transmissions have the filter hidden deep in the transmission and never gets changed. The 6 speed is that way, I believe.

If you do the math and assume 50% replacement each time, it goes like this.
Change 1: 50% old fluid
Change 2: 25% old fluid
Change 3: 12.5% old fluid
Change 4: 6.25% old fluid left in the transmission

From this chart, from another site, based on Alldata apparently:

41TE/41AE Estimated Service Fill 4.0 qts (3.8L)
41TE/41AE Overhaul Capacity with Torque Converter Empty 9.2 qts (8.7L)

62TE Estimated Service Fill 5.5 qts (5.2L)
62TE Overhaul Capacity with Torque Converter Empty 9.0 qts (8.5L)

Using 9 quarts. .0625 x 9 = 0.56 liters of old fluid left.
My transmission is the 4 speed and a filter change is easy but messy. Just drain contents, pop off filter and reverse proceedure. As to the shop I took it to I suppose they're trying to book in a few bucks when they can.

·
Super Moderator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
1,962 Posts
...Many transmissions have the filter hidden deep in the transmission and never gets changed. The 6 speed is that way, I believe...
Nope. The filter in the 62TE is easily accessible once the pan is removed.

You might be thinking of the 9 speed like the one in the Pacific, that filter is buried in the transmission and requires removal of the transmission to change. The 9 speed doesn't even have a pan, but it does have a drain plug.

·
Super Moderator
23,798 Posts
They were going to do a money maker flush for the $400.00 price. Many Shops and most Dealerships have the equipment and have to pay for it somehow. Chrysler doesn't support any flushes except for coolant system.

A lot of vehicles have a transmission pan with a drain plug. That's the way to go. Just changed the automatic transmission fluid in a Hyundai Elantra, with a drain plug, on Friday.

Pumping it out is another alternative. Anything to avoid removal of the pan and RTV gasket.material.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts