The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I noticed a new engine whine in our 2011 Town and Country with 117,000 miles. A week or two after the sound showed up we noticed a drop in mpg from about 20mpg to about 10mpg.
So far I have checked the stuff on the accessory belt (they turn smooth by hand and it doesn’t seem like the sound is coming from there when I was under it with it running), I have checked the codes with my Bluetooth OBD reader and there are no codes. I used a tube and funnel and it seems the sound is coming from the plenum/ throttle body area. I sprayed brake cleaner around the vacuum hoses and plenum / intake area to check for leaks there and did not see any changes to the rpm. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Ps I changed the front calipers about 6 weeks ago. I bled them fine and they are working great...don’t think it’s related but thought it might be worth mentioning.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Recently I noticed a new engine whine in our 2011 Town and Country with 117,000 miles. A week or two after the sound showed up we noticed a drop in mpg from about 20mpg to about 10mpg.
So far I have checked the stuff on the accessory belt (they turn smooth by hand and it doesn’t seem like the sound is coming from there when I was under it with it running), I have checked the codes with my Bluetooth OBD reader and there are no codes. I used a tube and funnel and it seems the sound is coming from the plenum/ throttle body area. I sprayed brake cleaner around the vacuum hoses and plenum / intake area to check for leaks there and did not see any changes to the rpm. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Ps I changed the front calipers about 6 weeks ago. I bled them fine and they are working great...don’t think it’s related but thought it might be worth mentioning.
Thanks in advance!
With your Reader have a look at Short term fuel and Long term fuel trims. To verify the PCM is dumping extra fuel. Also good to look at the four Oxygen sensors.

·
Super Moderator
27,282 Posts
Check your air intake/filter. Maybe a squirrel, or a family of mice, have found a home there.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I'd take the intake hose off and look at the TB plate. See if it closes right.

·
Super Moderator
27,282 Posts
Additional detail is good. Thanks. Perhaps the two problems aren't related.

Take a look at your power steering fluid (ATF+4 required there, same as transmission) level. Power steering whine is not uncommon, sometimes more so when cold, and is most likely source of a whine sound. Do you have an aftermarket power steering pump, remanufactured pumps can be noisier?

Compare your brake rotors for heat, side to side and front to back, after a short drive where the brakes were used. An ultra quick, light finger touch, of the rotor, or rim, unless you smell heat/burning (very hot then). Could use a glove to protect your finger. Most likely sources of increased fuel consumption are dragging brakes or excessive idling.

What is your engine telling us:
- at idle
- what rpm at idle
- when in drive
- what rpm when in drive
- when on the road
- rpm at 80 kmh (50 mph)
- rpm at 110 kmh (70 mph)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yes it could be the power steering pump whining. Start by checking its level (ATF+4).

Do you have the 4.0 engine? If so, was your timing belt replaced at 100,000 miles? Your spark plugs would be due as well. You'll also find the original intake plenum gasket is leaking (vacuum) and should be replaced when reinstalling it. There may also be a vacuum leak at the IAP sensor hose fitting on top of plenum near TB. I just added a small hose clamp to it.

https://forum.chryslerminivan.net/s...elt-water-pump-and-spark-plug-change-write-up

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Last night I checked the air filter box, intake tubes, and cleaned the throttle body with throttle body cleaner.

I was under the car again with it running and it seemed that the noise was louder under the oil pan than it was by the belt area so maybe it is the oil pump.
The drop in mpg has me baffled though.
I’m not sure about all the 02 sensors. Can I test them with a volt meter?

·
Registered
431 Posts
P0152 is a diagnostic trouble code for "O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 2 Sensor 1)". Bank 2 sensor is in front of the engine on the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
P0152 is a diagnostic trouble code for "O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 2 Sensor 1)". Bank 2 sensor is in front of the engine on the exhaust manifold.
Thanks, the O2 sensors coded because I had it off to test it. It wasn’t throwing the code until after I disconnected it. I’m not sure how to test it with my multimeter though. It is not a digital one. Also wondering about the fuel trims? Are they normal?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks, the O2 sensors coded because I had it off to test it. It wasn’t throwing the code until after I disconnected it. I’m not sure how to test it with my multimeter though. It is not a digital one. Also wondering about the fuel trims? Are they normal?
I recommend to check if your Reader can see Live data and watch the fuel trims Live. They change with speed/load. They will be all positive 10% or more when it's dumping extra fuel.

In the freeze frame its negative which means it's taking fuel away.

Also look at Live data from Oxygen sensors. There are four of them, Bank 1 Sensors 1 and 2, Bank 2 sensors 1 and 2.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I recommend to check if your Reader can see Live data and watch the fuel trims Live. They change with speed/load. They will be all positive 10% or more when it's dumping extra fuel.

In the freeze frame its negative which means it's taking fuel away.

Also look at Live data from Oxygen sensors. There are four of them, Bank 1 Sensors 1 and 2, Bank 2 sensors 1 and 2.
Thanks, I’ll take a look at this tonight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks, I’ll take a look at this tonight.
Did you ever happen to figure out what the issue was? I totally understand the noise you are pointing to as I am also noticing the noise from the intake plenum and exactly in front of the engine. Not anywhere close to the power steering pump, brake booster, nor the serpentine belt.

It sounded as if it's coming directly from the engine itself. Please advise if you were able to figure it out. My vehicle is 2000 Chrysler Town and Country LXi 3.8 L.

TIA!

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,723 Posts
Did you ever happen to figure out what the issue was? ... My vehicle is 2000 Chrysler Town and Country LXi 3.8 L.
His issue is likely not yours. Completely different engine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts