The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got into my 2011 T&C this morning, and heard a clunking sound...like the doors were still trying to unlock. So I used the lock button on the drivers side door, and they locked but then immediately unlocked, then locked, unlocked, and on and on. I opened the drivers door, and could still hear the clunking like it was still locking, unlocking.

I had an appointment to get to so I drove off. Only a five minute drive, but no problems on the way there...thought the problem was solved. Get out of the van and use the lock button on the door like I always do...doors lock. I shut the door, doors unlock, and then both front windows roll down about a third of the way!!! And the door is on it's lock, unlock thing again. I get back in and put the ignition in accessory, no codes are showing on the cluster.

Again I had an appointment to make, and when I left the van the doors were locked and windows up. I get back to the van after my appt. and the doors are unlocked and windows 1/4 down. I drive home...no problems on the way again...but turn off the ignition, and lock the doors, and it's the same thing again...doors locking, unlocking, windows rolling down.

Anyone have any suggestions. I was thinking about disconnecting the battery for awhile and hope things "reset".

And of course my van is three months out of its warranty!

This may be unrelated, but the keyfob has not been working like it should. Often takes more button presses than it should to get the doors to lock/unlock...or I have to be right next to the van for it to work. I thought it might just be the batteries in the fob for that problem.

·
Registered
919 Posts
issue

Computerized everything, don't ya just love it ? Just makes everything harder to troubleshoot.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tried the locks again this afternoon, with the fob, and using the door buttons. Everything worked fine this time! Tested the battery with my multimeter..read 12.59v so that's good, and checked for loose/dirty connections...opened the fuse box and looked there too...all looked okay. I didn't try disconnecting the battery yet, and won't unless this happens again. Also looked for any obvious signs of damaged wires in the engine bay (mice or other varmints) and everything looked good there.

I'll post again if the issue crops up again.

Hopefully it was just a computer having a bad morning.

Reactions: onebadfish

·
Registered
23 Posts
The problem does not sound like it's related to the remote, as it does not operate the windows. Sounds more like water got in the drivers door switches or a little deeper to where the harness plugs into them. Easy to happen if the window is open even a little when it's raining.
The problem may have gone away simply because things have dried out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue with 2010 Caravan. Identical symptoms. Here is what I found after a week of hit and miss testing... am surprised that Chrysler techs cannot diagnose problem:
1. Problem only occurred with my FOB and not with wife's FOB.
2. Opened my FOB and removed the battery. Our Van FOB only has the PANIC-UNLOCK-LOCK functions, but on opening the FOB - there are electronics for 4 additional functions.
3. The active PANIC-UNLOCK-LOCK functions in my FOB have little floating pads that I assume assist in selecting the FOB function when the selected FOB symbol is pressed (total of three small floating pads - one for each function).
4. Pads were not aligned with FOB functions but were slipping around the lower portion of the FOB over the "inactive" electronic circuits. I assume that random touches/jostles activated these functions... lights coming on, widows opening and closing, doors locking/unlocking etc.
5. I realigned the pads as best I could... if they move again I will use a little glue to fix them in place. No problems now... My FOB is working properly and there are no more phantom van electrical issues

Mike from Trenton Ontario

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Same issue with 2010 Caravan. Identical symptoms. Here is what I found after a week of hit and miss testing... am surprised that Chrysler techs cannot diagnose problem:
1. Problem only occurred with my FOB and not with wife's FOB.
2. Opened my FOB and removed the battery. Our Van FOB only has the PANIC-UNLOCK-LOCK functions, but on opening the FOB - there are electronics for 4 additional functions.
3. The active PANIC-UNLOCK-LOCK functions in my FOB have little floating pads that I assume assist in selecting the FOB function when the selected FOB symbol is pressed (total of three small floating pads - one for each function).
4. Pads were not aligned with FOB functions but were slipping around the lower portion of the FOB over the "inactive" electronic circuits. I assume that random touches/jostles activated these functions... lights coming on, widows opening and closing, doors locking/unlocking etc.
5. I realigned the pads as best I could... if they move again I will use a little glue to fix them in place. No problems now... My FOB is working properly and there are no more phantom van electrical issues

Mike from Trenton Ontario
You might want to clean the contacts and rubber on the fob with running alcohol. I used to have a similar problem in my Sienna where the fob would be hard to open the doors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sounds like buttons sticking on the fob. Went to leave one morning and found my doors unlocked and windows down. That's when I found out that if you hit unlock twice holding it down on the second time the windows roll down! Take fob apart and clean contacts and pad with rubbing alcohol.

·
Registered
475 Posts
That's when I found out that if you hit unlock twice holding it down on the second time the windows roll down!
I'm going to try this when I get to my van after work...how come I've never heard of this before!?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Got into my 2011 T&C this morning, and heard a clunking sound...like the doors were still trying to unlock. So I used the lock button on the drivers side door, and they locked but then immediately unlocked, then locked, unlocked, and on and on. I opened the drivers door, and could still hear the clunking like it was still locking, unlocking.

I had an appointment to get to so I drove off. Only a five minute drive, but no problems on the way there...thought the problem was solved. Get out of the van and use the lock button on the door like I always do...doors lock. I shut the door, doors unlock, and then both front windows roll down about a third of the way!!! And the door is on it's lock, unlock thing again. I get back in and put the ignition in accessory, no codes are showing on the cluster.

Again I had an appointment to make, and when I left the van the doors were locked and windows up. I get back to the van after my appt. and the doors are unlocked and windows 1/4 down. I drive home...no problems on the way again...but turn off the ignition, and lock the doors, and it's the same thing again...doors locking, unlocking, windows rolling down.

Anyone have any suggestions. I was thinking about disconnecting the battery for awhile and hope things "reset".

And of course my van is three months out of its warranty!

This may be unrelated, but the keyfob has not been working like it should. Often takes more button presses than it should to get the doors to lock/unlock...or I have to be right next to the van for it to work. I thought it might just be the batteries in the fob for that problem.
When you are out of the van, where are you keeping the keys?

If they are in your pocket, there's a good chance you're accidentally pressing the unlock button for an extended period of time causing the doors to unlock and the windows to roll down. Women often have this problem when they toss their keys into a jammed packed purse.

Otherwise, clean the inside of the fob as there may be something spilled inside the fob causing contact when it's not wanted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am having problems where I turn off the ignition and then the driver's window only drops down a few inches. This may be related to my FOB because I never had this problem until I tried out the factory remote start and then shut it off with the remote. That is when the window went down a few inches. Also my master window switch is disconnected because it is broken and I have a new one on the way. So right now I have a towel slammed in the door to help keep out the rain. Last night I went out and got into my van from the passenger seat and it started fine. Shut it off and the window went down even further! I don't know how to get the window up without a switch. I'm hoping it is the switch that is bad because it has a broken button on it and all the other windows work on their own buttons, but the driver's seat master window switch doesn't do a thing. No power mirrors, no power windows, no power door locks. Anyone know how to get the window up temporarily? More importantly has anyone solved how to stop the window from going down a few inches? Also should mention that the passenger door lock sometimes unlocks but won't lock and sometimes it locks and won't unlock. It's random.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
13,939 Posts
I am having problems where I turn off the ignition and then the driver's window only drops down a few inches. This may be related to my FOB because I never had this problem until I tried out the factory remote start and then shut it off with the remote. That is when the window went down a few inches. Also my master window switch is disconnected because it is broken and I have a new one on the way. So right now I have a towel slammed in the door to help keep out the rain. Last night I went out and got into my van from the passenger seat and it started fine. Shut it off and the window went down even further! I don't know how to get the window up without a switch. I'm hoping it is the switch that is bad because it has a broken button on it and all the other windows work on their own buttons, but the driver's seat master window switch doesn't do a thing. No power mirrors, no power windows, no power door locks. Anyone know how to get the window up temporarily? More importantly has anyone solved how to stop the window from going down a few inches? Also should mention that the passenger door lock sometimes unlocks but won't lock and sometimes it locks and won't unlock. It's random.
Just to eliminate options, open your FOB, remove the circuit board and check gor a loose contact disc, see this post:

For those skeptics, if you have a FOB acting up, like if it have a mind of it's own, chances are you have one or more of those little contact discs loose.

On the images bellow, my liftgate was getting open randomly. I found out this little disc was loose and contacting the liftgate button.

I found very hard to believe your FOB is acting up because you have it in your pocket and buttons are pressed accidentally. You have to press it twice withing a second or two to activate it, no way it can be done by accident, at least not more than once.

Look at image # 4, two discs on liftgate button.

I re-glued a couple of discs and problem gone for good.

Hope this helps someone.
You can get your window up applying power straight to the motor.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I know they changed guts on the FOBIK to get rid of the little discs in later years, what I am not sure of is if the new style can be programmed to the older vehicles. I have installed replacement cases that also eliminate the little discs. They work fine but the white graphics on the buttons wears off really quick.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm not sure what I'm dealing with because on the test drive I turned the van off multiple times and exited and the window never went down. I just got the van yesterday. The only things that I've done to it has been to disconnect the broken master window switch and I did press twice on the remote start and that worked. But when I pressed it twice again to shut off the van, that's about the time when the window moved down a few inches. Last night I got into the passenger seat to try the dual DVD system and after running on the battery for awhile I decided to start the van. When I shut it off but the DVD was still playing because I didn't open the door to get out yet, that's when the window went down another 3 or 4 inches further. I have a towel on the window to hopefully protect against the rain. Two other alarming things I found...... the driver door has a chrome mirror with LED turn signal and the passenger side has a white mirror with NO turn signal light on it. In the dark you can see the driver mirror turn signal flickering. The last odd thing is a rigged up mess. The wiper switch works and changes speed like it should, but when you turn the wipers off, they still are on slowly so the previous owner ran wires from the outside of the van into the door and on the dash and there is a toggle switch to turn the wipers on and off and then once on, you use the regular column for wiper speed settings. I got the van for $3500 + tax. It's the signature series with all options except for maybe turn signal mirrors so I don't know what mirror I need to replace. So frustrated right now. I hope the master window switch allows me to controls all the windows and locks and mirrors. Also, the passenger door locks when it wants to and unlocks when it wants to. That may be a FOB issue. Of course I only got one FOB with the van. Any help with any of this would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm not sure what I'm dealing with because on the test drive I turned the van off multiple times and exited and the window never went down. I just got the van yesterday. The only things that I've done to it has been to disconnect the broken master window switch and I did press twice on the remote start and that worked. But when I pressed it twice again to shut off the van, that's about the time when the window moved down a few inches. Last night I got into the passenger seat to try the dual DVD system and after running on the battery for awhile I decided to start the van. When I shut it off but the DVD was still playing because I didn't open the door to get out yet, that's when the window went down another 3 or 4 inches further. I have a towel on the window to hopefully protect against the rain. Two other alarming things I found...... the driver door has a chrome mirror with LED turn signal and the passenger side has a white mirror with NO turn signal light on it. In the dark you can see the driver mirror turn signal flickering. The last odd thing is a rigged up mess. The wiper switch works and changes speed like it should, but when you turn the wipers off, they still are on slowly so the previous owner ran wires from the outside of the van into the door and on the dash and there is a toggle switch to turn the wipers on and off and then once on, you use the regular column for wiper speed settings. I got the van for $3500 + tax. It's the signature series with all options except for maybe turn signal mirrors so I don't know what mirror I need to replace. So frustrated right now. I hope the master window switch allows me to controls all the windows and locks and mirrors. Also, the passenger door locks when it wants to and unlocks when it wants to. That may be a FOB issue. Of course I only got one FOB with the van. Any help with any of this would be greatly appreciated!!!
Go on ebay and buy a new key fob case for $10, pull the guts out of your fob and put them in the new case.

Or you can pull the rubber key pad out of the new one and stuff it into the old fob.

Either way make sure none of the little disks are stuck to the circuit board and clean the contacts with a Qtip and alcohol

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm late to the party on this one. But these symptoms in a 4th gen are called "Haunted Minivan Syndrome." 90% of the time, it means that the car's battery is on the downhill end of its life. A non-load voltmeter check may indicate that it's OK, but a load test won't. Another possibility is that the battery terminals are corroded or the other ends of the battery cables are corroded.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts