The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
After 16 years, not only are the spark plugs due to be changed, but likely the ignition wires too.
The silicon insulation breaks down over time and heat. Even though they feel nice and flexible, they are probably leaking the spark and especially after you were pulling, moving them. They may even be touching the hot exhaust or each other....

The reason for the 'double platinum' is that the DP spark plugs have that hard platinum tip and 'puck' or 'disc' and therefore they do not erode like a regular copper spark plug on our particular ignition system.

If your van runs poorly after changing the spark plugs, right away after changing the spark plugs, then it was not the spark plugs but something else. ANY SPARK PLUG should run great for a while (as long as it fits in the hole, is long enough to get into the cylinder and it has the proper gap).
Now, after a while, they may not run so good as they wear out...

Champion Double Platinum spark plugs only need to be changed every 100,000 miles (as long as the engine is running properly)

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I have 2001 DGC sport I had advance check codes one of them was EGR but I haven’t put it on yet.. I’ve never heard of reprogramming it.. the only parts Ik need reprograms are PCM power control module n ECM engine control module ... I have use NKG cheaper one it and I have to replace them which under warranty, found in my manual Uses champion Double platinum..Bcz now have to buy coil pack bcz I put wrong plugs in..., u have buy the whole piece not individual ones like some vehicles has...maybe paying NKG platinum.. my personal opinion, the champions are better bcz I bought my van used 16 yrs ago, just replaced my OE plugs, like 3 months and my car ran better on the old plugs then now.... ur looking at 16 yrs of old plugs compare to rough idle and eating gas more on the NKGs.... it just my van being picky lol....I hope u best and ur van up n running better...,
Another thing, worn out spark plugs will cause greater 'stress' on the ignition coil because it takes more energy to 'jump' a large air gap.
Perhaps the wrong spark plugs MAY have a greater resistance value and COULD stress the ignition coil, but they would have to be WAY off from the specified spark plugs. So an auto parts clerk suggesting a different brand's specified spark plug for your year, make and model vehicle is not really going to kill an ignition coil...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just skimming through the thread and it seems like the situation has hopefully been handled but can’t the actual metal egr tube get fouled up w/so much carbon that it wouldn’t allow the egr device to work properly. Leading to a situation of replacing a good egr valve when all that was needed was a tube cleaning?

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
830 Posts
Yes. You should always rule out clogged passages before replacing an EGR valve on any vehicle.

Reactions: FabricGATOR
21 - 24 of 24 Posts