The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in one recently..The owner has taken out the 3rd row, it has the 3.3
WOW talk about storage room, it has all new crossovers beat. It still drove smooth and quiete
I know towards the end it didn't sell well, I guess its more important to look cool then to have a usefull car.

·
Super Moderator
23,756 Posts
I think the Dodge Journey replaced its function and included 4WD. The shorter van was easier to maneuver though.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,566 Posts
WOW talk about storage room, it has all new crossovers beat. It still drove smooth and quiete
I know towards the end it didn't sell well, I guess its more important to look cool then to have a usefull car.
Haven't seen one minivan that looks cool yet. Some looks better than others, but that's about that.

No, i don't miss a short one at all.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
My first Caravan was my most favorite Caravan. It was a 1986, that I bought from a co-worker, that had only the second row seat. Leg room in the second row was spacious, and storage behind the seat was great. Back then, all the vans were short.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I love the shorties.

My first Caravan was a second gen shorty. It was a 1991 five passenger from the factory. The second row had a 3-seat bench that was wider than a normal third row 3-seat bench because it sat just in front of the wheel wells. More leg room, more hip room and a lot of cargo room in the back. It also had the arm rest on the right.

My current Caravan is a fourth gen shorty. It’s a 2006 and I like using it as a five passenger with the middle bench removed and the 3-seat bench in the middle row. Definitely less leg room than my 1991. Although I haven’t measured the 3 person bench it might be as wide as my 1991 second-row 3-person bench because fourth gen vans are about six inches wider than second gen vans. Sure have a lot of cargo room in this configuration. The gen 4 shorty vans are about a foot longer than a gen 2 shorty

I don’t like the Dodge Journey because no sliding doors and AFAIK non removable seats and less cargo space. If my 2006 Caravan dies in 10 years I may look for a standard trans 2017 Mazda-5. Although they are smaller than a Caravan shorty and only come with a four cylinder engine. May not want that after being spoiled with my 2006 3.3 V6 shorty.

·
Registered
652 Posts
In several instances, I'm glad not to have a shorty. In one good example like many, the wife ordered a Whirlpool chest freezer. It was raining out. I trekked over to Menards, backed into the vehicle loading area that had the over-hang. I still got wet getting out the driver door before safe from the rain to open the rear hatch. The freezer in the box went in perfectly. AND, it was just enough room to close the rear hatch door. I then drove 20 miles home after dark in the rain. If it was a shorty Caravan without SnG seats, it would have never worked.

The only shorty I had was the 1985 woodie Caravan with the 2.6L Mitsubishi engine. But back then, they were all shorties.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,566 Posts
Most people doesn't like shorties, maybe just the ones who own one (they have no choice but like them).

There is a good reason why they don't make them anymore.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Mopar, my shorty was a 1986 five seater woodie, with the 2.6. I even developed a work around for the carb problem, which I shared with my co-workers and made them happy.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,705 Posts
I read they were made for fleet and taxi/rental services. After they were done with their "work" they were sold to the general public in the used market. People moved to travelling with more stuff and the demand for the long wheelbase vans by the taxi/rental market went up, so that is probably why the shorty was phased out of production when the 5th gen started.

·
Super Moderator
23,756 Posts
My first minivan was a used 1987 Plymouth Voyager LTD shorty, a woody. The trial run was an experience, the 2.6L engine seized up. The Dealership had just worked on the counterbalance chain, so they said. Anyway, they put in a remanufactured Chrysler engine, with a warranty. They offered it to me again at the same price. I eventually bought it although I was interested in a Chrysler LeBaron station wagon as well. My neighbor bought the station wagon.

It let me down once with a bad coil. That gave me lots of warning but I ignored it and kept driving.

Did some work on the e-brake. When removing the kick panel, I came across little white packets of insulation (powder)?? They were still there when I traded it. I don't think they were insulation. :)

PS: The shorties were true soccer momish vehicles. The longer versions were for hockey moms. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Most people doesn't like shorties, maybe just the ones who own one (they have no choice but like them).

There is a good reason why they don't make them anymore.
I've owned both.

I prefer the shorty. Fits in my garage with room to spare, and with the seats out, I can still get a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the back.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It is true that the LWB is more popular than the shorty, That’s why they discontinued shorty by gen-5. But I don’t think most people that had a shorty in the past moved on to a LWB. Judging by sales and what I see on the roads most people that owned a shorty moved on to a SUV that was comparable in size to a shorty. Not necessarily a Dodge Journey but I know of many folks that purchased Nissan SUVs among other SUVs that are comparable in size to a shorty.

Levy, your comment that maybe just the people that own shorties like shorties because they have no choice but to like them doesn’t make much sense. Not long ago when I finally updated my 1991 shorty to a 2006 shorty it was a lot harder finding a 2006/07 shorty because as was mentioned gen-4 LWB vans considerably out number shorties. It would would have been so much easier and not any more expensive to find a 2006/07 LWB but I held out ‘till I found the shorty I wanted.

As to fitting more in a LWB sure – but I don’t need to fit more in my shorty. As I said in a previous post I only need 5 seats. You can laugh all you want but I bet my neighbor who owns a full size V8 van can fit a lot more stuff and tow a lot more payload in his van than you can with your LWB. It’s all a matter of one’s own needs.

As for me, if my shorty dies in 10 years or so I will either purchase a Standard trans 2017 Mazda-5 or a 2016/17 SUV comparable in size to my 2006 shorty. When that day comes - One more SUV on the road – One less Chrysler mini-van on the road.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I preferred and chose the shorter version twice.

·
Registered
33 Posts
We have the 2006 SWB Caravan SXT since 2008
its amazing what we have done with this vehicle,
removing and reconfiguring seats as needed,
we can go into the city and still park!
Removed the seats and helped my brother do his summer job move,
they could not believe what went in there without seats.
On the way back I picked up a 2 stage snow blower at yard sale that slid right INTO the empty van!
put on a tow hitch which I use mostly for the bicycles, gave me more flexibility.
Simply put, for a vehicle with this not so big footprint it still surprises me.
I'm dreading the eventual replacement since I have rust under the passenger sliding door.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,566 Posts
Judging by sales and what I see on the roads most people that owned a shorty moved on to a SUV that was comparable in size to a shorty.

Levy, your comment that maybe just the people that own shorties like shorties because they have no choice but to like them doesn’t make much sense. Not long ago when I finally updated my 1991 shorty to a 2006 shorty it was a lot harder finding a 2006/07 shorty because as was mentioned gen-4 LWB vans considerably out number shorties. It would would have been so much easier and not any more expensive to find a 2006/07 LWB but I held out ‘till I found the shorty I wanted.
Can you explain how you came up with that conclusion?

Judging sales?

Where in the world you saw those statistics stating SWB minivan owners traded their vehicles for a SUV.

Judging what you see on the road?

Please tell me what you see on the road that prompted you to came up with that conclusion.

I know minivan owners are moving to SUV now, not just SWB owners, but all minivan owners in general, minivans are ugly, specially SWB Caravans and such. SUV's are more appealing to the eye.

·
Registered
357 Posts
SUV's are the modern station wagon, but I really like the minivan. The 87 I had was short, I don't think LWB were available.
Dan

1 - 20 of 42 Posts