The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this is in the wrong thread. I have exhausted my google and forum search abilities.

Recently bought an inexpensive generic android stereo to replace the stock RBZ unit in my wife's T&C.
I have installed a number of stereos in my youth, but this one has me stumped.

As far as I can tell, I have purchased all the correct harnesses I can find. Unfortunately I have been completely unable to retain the steering wheel controls and stock backup camera with the new head unit.

STEERING WHEEL CONTROL PROBLEM
After following all the outlined directions on the PAC Audio website to hookup the swi-rc-1 to a "generic android 2 wire" head unit (2 wires from PAC to labeled key1 and key2 on stereo) I am still not able to teach the stereo the required commands.

BACKUP CAMERA PROBLEM
As for the backup camera, I have spliced the + and - from the OEM harness into the + and - of a RCA adapter but still am not able to trigger the backup camera to come on at all.

I would really appreciate and help or tips, as I am completely scratching my head as to what I have missed.

Thank you

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
641 Posts
Did you sell the RBZ radio? (I am looking for one for my 09)

Does anything else not work correctly? Does the radio power up when in accessory mode, and shut off when the key is turned to off?

With the backup camera, I have attached the actual radio connector (C3, white) pin out sheet. The camera has 3 wires: Camera signal, camera return, and camera shield. What does the instruction say about this?

As for the audio switches, I am pretty sure they communicate VIA the CAN BUS system. It's possible that the camera not working also has something to do with it. It may also be that the radio hasn't been developed well enough or isn't completely compatible with the van's wiring system.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have purchased all the harnesses I was able to find. Ei. Wiring harness, backup camera, canbus adapter, etc.

The unit is this one

All other functions seem to work. It is just the camera and swc that I can not get to work.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
963 Posts
Steering wheel controls are through CAN. You will need an OEM integration module for that.
Use idatalink maestro rr. I added a Kenwood radio and can use android auto or apple carplay. VES and Backup camera works. And I can use a front camera

Reverse signal is sent to the OEM radio via CAN also, so you need to get the signal to turn your camera function on from the reverse lights. Grey/Light Blue (pin 3) is Camera Signal. Grey/Orange (pin 4) is Camera Return. 🦵Naked (pin 5) is Camera Shield, which may need to be bridged to Camera Return if your radio doesn't have a pin for it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steering wheel controls are through CAN. You will need an OEM integration module for that.

Reverse signal is sent to the OEM radio via CAN also, so you need to get the signal to turn your camera function on from the reverse lights. Grey/Light Blue (pin 3) is Camera Signal. Grey/Orange (pin 4) is Camera Return. 🦵Naked (pin 5) is Camera Shield, which may need to be bridged to Camera Return if your radio doesn't have a pin for it.
Thank you very much for your reply.
I am sorry, I do not understand instructions you gave. It has been many years since I have installed my last aftermarket head unit. I will do my best to lay out the steps taken and the issues I have had along the way.

I have purchased a PAC Audio swi-rc-1 module for the purpose of retaining the steering wheel controls. Link here
Along with the installation pack here for required harness and adapters.
This is an image of the back of the unit I purchased. (The unit wrongly labels item "8" as a usb input when it is actually the backup camera input.)
As I am sure most know, the backup camera does not terminate in an RCA port, so I purchased this adapter to connect the OEM camera to the aftermarket headunit.

I connected all necessary speaker, ignition, ground, etc. The stereo boots fine and there are no issues with am/fm, bluetooth, wifi, or gps on the device.
For the steering wheel control, I connected all wires as directed in the wiring diagram below (from the PAC Audio website) however when trying to program the button fuctions, the swc module does not register any input from the buttons on the steering wheel.

The camera backup harness linked above only has 2 wires. I am assuming the signal wire and camera return.

If I have missed any steps, or made any errors on the install I would appreciate the input.

Thank you again.

·
Registered
31 Posts
From the product description on Amazon I am thinking that tech support for this would be hard to come by. I was hoping for a manual I could try to dig through.

I'm not much help, sorry. :-(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts