The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Manual says to wait a bit before switching off.

Going beyond the 12 seconds won't hurt anything. It may fail if done too quick.
Everything replaced and ready to hook up battery. I found the yellow airbag tab but where is the IOD Ignition off draw fuse? Thanks

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,386 Posts
The IOD fuse is inside the TIPM. It's in a white case beside the yellow airbag tab. Just pull up on it until it unseats fully, but it won't fully come out without tools. You only need to take it all the way out if you need to replace it after it blows.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Turned key on and waited apprx.1.5 min turned key off, turn back on and started the engine. Ran normal with cruise brake switch code and a new one B222C Engine Code.
30 Min later I restarted the engine, shifter locked and 12 codes.Trans Range sensor. ignition switch position, control module power outlet, fuel pump control, cruise control brake switch, U1120, B222C, vacuum pump, auto shift manual mode, U110A, U1110, U0141-lost communication.Unbelievable. I will try 1 more time tomorrow for 12 sec like the pdf said. Where is that pdf from on installing tipm? Maybe the dealer does have to flash it We got rid of the low voltage code however I still heard the throttle body clicking and adjusting with engine off. Thanks for your help Sienile.Time for a Beer.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,386 Posts
That's from All Data, which pulls from the factory repair manual. This is all really strange. I've never ran into one throwing all those codes and it not been the TIPM.

My curiosity is really getting to me. Things like this are best dealt with in person. Any chance you live near Atlanta?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
That's from All Data, which pulls from the factory repair manual. This is all really strange. I've never ran into one throwing all those codes and it not been the TIPM.

My curiosity is really getting to me. Things like this are best dealt with in person. Any chance you live near Atlanta?
Good morning Sienile. I live in Apopka, Fl. which is basically north Orlando. Are you a mechanic? We could do a facebook live or periscope where you could see everything live. I will be doing a 12 sec wait this morning and hope for the best. Thank you

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,386 Posts
Yep, been a mechanic for nearly 20 years. Doing it over a livestream probably wouldn't work too well. Do that with my sister when she has issues and it never seems to be very helpful. She's west of you in Crystal River.

About to be heading out to do some stuff with my kids. When I get home I'll look at wiring diagrams and see if I can trace your codes down to a branch of the harness, so that you can test it. With a new TIPM throwing the same codes as the old one, it may be in the wiring.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Yep, been a mechanic for nearly 20 years. Doing it over a livestream probably wouldn't work too well. Do that with my sister when she has issues and it never seems to be very helpful. She's west of you in Crystal River.

About to be heading out to do some stuff with my kids. When I get home I'll look at wiring diagrams and see if I can trace your codes down to a branch of the harness, so that you can test it. With a new TIPM throwing the same codes as the old one, it may be in the wiring.
The 12 sec wait may have produced better results and eliminated 10 codes. Definite improvement but the gremlins may return. Maybe we are on to something. The new B222C code says front control module not programmed, however traction light on, shifter locked and throttle body noise still happening with key out. Going to try 30 sec wait and see if it clears, Thank you for all your help Sienile. I hate to have to go to the dealer. I don't think they will take a tipm return if that is not the problem. Happy Memorial Day.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Update- Mobile tech came by this am. Erased all codes and the t&c was running fine until the engine warmed up and everything returned except for the low power codes from all the modules, doors, lights, etc. The engine will keep running with key out and with power module relay out of tipm. We think the previous tipm was bad and now think the pcm needs replacing. Someone has been in the pcm too. One of the connections lock lever is broke. The connector is very hard to remove and plug back in, however there is no corrosion anywhere. Plugged everything back in and still have shifter locked in park, engine keeps running, 12 codes. The plan now is to find a used pcm power train control module and replace the existing one. The mobile tech said he can program it The B22C code refers to the front control module not programmed. The Mobile tech is very experienced and has all the scanners to examine all the modules. If I go to Dodge they will want to replace everything they can to try and eliminate the problems. I trust Randy more than I trust Dodge. If for some reason a new pcm does not work I am sunk. Randy said a bad pcm or tipm can make each other go bad. I am hoping he is correct. Thank you Sienile for all your help and please let me know if you concur.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·

Hi Sienile. Please don't stop trying to help. You helped a lot. I am waiting on a used pre programed pcm + pigtail that will be here mon. Hopefully this will solve the problems. Thank you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Update-Problems solved! Thank you to everybody for your help with this crazy T&C. It has been a long journey to get this van running again and I appreciate everyone's input.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,386 Posts
So the PCM fixed it, or was there a wiring issue as well?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
The TIPM was defective and supplying too low a voltage to many of the modules and the PCM was sending random start/stop/error signals to many of the modules like the throttle body, fog lights, brake switch, with the keys out. It was a double problem and both modules were bad. There were some other issues with the connector plugs lock bar on the PCM plug being broken which we were able to replace. Somebody had been in there before. I was lucky to have a tech that was not going to let this T&C beat him. He saved me a lot of possible dealer costs. I still can't explain why this happened all at once except for the fact that it is not a durable system overall. Chrysler should redesign all their computer modules, connectors, wiring to last longer than 4 or 5 years. You were a big help Sienile and thank you for everything. Here is my post on the Mobile Tech-

2015 Town and Country TIPM, PCM problems solved.

Today’s cars, vans can have many problems with their TIPMs(Totally Integrated Power Modules), PCM(power control modules), computers, modules, electrical circuits that can drive you crazy. Thankfully, technicians like Randy at Mobile Diagnostics and Repairs can help you solve your problems for a reasonable fee. The parts you need may be expensive unless you buy rebuilt, however, the consultation and service are very reasonable. If you are having similar problems with an out-of-warranty vehicle, do not hesitate to call Randy before you visit the dealer. You will save a ton of money and Randy will not give up until he solves your problems. I highly recommend Randy with Mobile Diagnostics and Repairs for all your Totally Integrated Power Modules, PCM, electrical vehicle problems. Thank you Randy and Rusty of Mobile Diagnostics and Repairs -407-416-5397 for a job well done under difficult conditions. Barry Vaught

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,386 Posts
Yeah, it definitely looked tampered with. Good that you found Randy. Many mechanics would refuse jobs like that or take forever and run up a big diagnostics bill while not fully solving the issues. I know how that "not gonna beat me" feeling goes. If you were closer this had me wanting to drive over with my multimeter and wiring diagrams. :p

The TIPM does fail on a lot of people in some way or another. Mine had the fuel pump relay problem, but thankfully nothing more serious. I was running the next day for less than $10, which ended up biting me in the ass years later when the cheap relay and fuse holder I used burnt up (replaced with better $15 stuff).

PCM problems do seem a bit high on these, but not to the degree of the TIPM issues. Dodge has always been on the low end of PCM longevity. Across all years I've replaced more Dodge PCMs than all other brands combined, excluding Chevy. (Chevy's a close 2nd) Many of those were A/C compressor circuit failures and not crippling issues. I have yet to see, in person, a current gen Dodge with a PCM issue, though I've heard of a few on here. Newest was a '07 or '08 Pacifica with the typical A/C circuit issue.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Yeah, it definitely looked tampered with. Good that you found Randy. Many mechanics would refuse jobs like that or take forever and run up a big diagnostics bill while not fully solving the issues. I know how that "not gonna beat me" feeling goes. If you were closer this had me wanting to drive over with my multimeter and wiring diagrams. :p

The TIPM does fail on a lot of people in some way or another. Mine had the fuel pump relay problem, but thankfully nothing more serious. I was running the next day for less than $10, which ended up biting me in the ass years later when the cheap relay and fuse holder I used burnt up (replaced with better $15 stuff).

PCM problems do seem a bit high on these, but not to the degree of the TIPM issues. Dodge has always been on the low end of PCM longevity. Across all years I've replaced more Dodge PCMs than all other brands combined, excluding Chevy. (Chevy's a close 2nd) Many of those were A/C compressor circuit failures and not crippling issues. I have yet to see, in person, a current gen Dodge with a PCM issue, though I've heard of a few on here. Newest was a '07 or '08 Pacifica with the typical A/C circuit issue.
I wish we were closer and I know you could have solved this too. I had 12.49 volts on my connected battery this morning which confirms the problems are gone. Randy even told me to order a pre-programmed pcm which saved me the $249 programming fee and his boss was not too happy about that. Since I have replaced the 2 parts that usually cause the most trouble on Chrysler cars, should I keep this T&C for a few more years or sell it quick while it is running good? I have had it for about 3.5-4 years 60,000 mi. and have only had to replace the right/rear upper camshaft last year under warranty. The cargo space setup in this van is the main reason I purchased it and the comfy passenger setup was another. Thank you again for your help. I would probably still be out there banging and scanning it if you had not steered me in the right direction.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,386 Posts
With the worst problems you could have already behind you, I'd think you're good for many years. The chances of those new parts failing soon are not very high.

I used to work in a shop where the boss got mad at me for finding cheap solutions to people's issues. My thought is, if I can fix it cheaper than expected doing that and being honest about it (not giving a bill for the original estimated fix, but the actual fix) that makes the customer happy and more likely to return. His attitude was "We get plenty of customers. If they don't come back, who cares? We still got their money." Hate working with people like that.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts