The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is not an overflow tank, it is an expansion tank!

This tank have a radiator type cap, set to release pressure at 21 PSI.

No way it can rupture for over filling it.

Good try! (y)
But what if the pressure relief valve fails !!!!

This is what the Pacific coolant tank looks like (from Factory Chrysler Parts):

But what if the pressure relief valve fails !!!!

This is what the Pacific coolant tank looks like (from Factory Chrysler Parts):
View attachment 57994

Seems like different places shows different images. But it doesn't really matters, the system is protected by a pressure relief valve.

Now, what if that relief valve fails:

1. I have never seen or heard a radiator cap failed to open if system is over-pressured.
  2. I have seen radiator caps fail to keep proper pressure (leaks pressure), but not the other way around.
  3. If, for any strange reason the pressure relief valve fails and doesn not open, well, anything in the system may break, including hoses or the radiator itself.
From mymopartparts.com:

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Seems like different places shows different images. But it doesn't really matters, the system is protected by a pressure relief valve.

Now, what if that relief valve fails:

1. I have never seen or heard a radiator cap failed to open if system is over-pressured.
  2. I have seen radiator caps fail to keep proper pressure (leaks pressure), but not the other way around.
  3. If, for any strange reason the pressure relief valve fails and doesn not open, well, anything in the system may break, including hoses or the radiator itself.
From mymopartparts.com:

I've been reading all that has been posted, you are all getting above my pay grade!! I am going to watch the system very closely and I carry spare coolant. All else fails, I'll call AAA. Thanks All!

I've been reading all that has been posted, you are all getting above my pay grade!! I am going to watch the system very closely and I carry spare coolant. All else fails, I'll call AAA. Thanks All!

Don't feel bad, the system is puzzling compared to the tried and proven systems of past generations. With a couple more details we will figure it out. :)

Nice chatting with you. Enjoy your van. (y)

Levy, My 2001 5.9 gas Durango has the "radiator" cap in the upper radiator hose and a none pressurized tank with a dipstick in it to check antifreeze level.
Your radiator is probably lower than the highest part of the cooling system.

If they leave the radiator cap where it belongs (radiator), you'll be never be able to completely fill the cooling system.

Is the "radiator cap" noticeably higher than the radiator?

Your radiator is probably lower than the highest part of the cooling system.

If they leave the radiator cap where it belongs (radiator), you'll be never be able to completely fill the cooling system.

Is the "radiator cap" noticeably higher than the radiator?
Yes, I just sent this so you would maybe remember where you saw this system in the past.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.