The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question about converting the rear suspension on my 2010 T+C from the self leveling to Conventional. Monroe Sells a conversion kit, has anyone ever bought/installed this? I am unable to find a parts break down list of what is included/required to do the conversion. I already have a set of Monroe OE Spectrum Shocks. Just not sure on what springs to purchase and if I need mounting hardware upgrades or not? Just looking for someone who has done this before. Rock Auto has some nice Dayton Cargo Max Variable Springs I would like to put in. Any advice /info would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Any shock and spring combo not for Nivomat/self leveling will work. The self leveling system is limited to those components. I think the bolts are all the same on 5th gens. You don't need to pay extra for a "kit" to specifically eliminate it. Maybe a kit just has shocks that have springs on them?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I am thinking. They just package together non self leveling shock absorbers with the proper springs to match. I just wanted to confirm this and make sure there was no differences or hardware changes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I converted my nivomat shocks over to conventional springs last year. All you need to do is purchase the springs and shocks that are not load leveling and install them. It was relatively easy to do. The hardest part was removing the brake caliper so that the axle could drop completely. Otherwise, is a very simple process. You can get the shocks and springs anywhere you like. I got my springs from Rock Auto and my shocks from Amazon

·
Registered
2 Posts
Out of curiosity, what drives you guys to toss the Nivomat system? Is it just replacement costs or is there something about it's functionality you don't like?

We just inherited my grandma-in-law's van and it's about due for shocks. I have a habit of occasionally testing capacity limits of my vehicles and the nivomats seem better than air shocks or conventional.

·
Registered
26 Posts
In my case, the nivomats were very weak and bounced a lot more than any other vehicle I have ever owned. I thought the shocks were bad but they didn't seem to bounce excessively when at rest but if you go over a speed bump, it would bounce a couple times more than usual. I think this is by design since the load balancing shocks need the bounce to adjust the level. From what I researched, that is why the load leveling system has weaker springs than non load leveling springs. I found that the weaker springs gave a bad ride and even something felt that the backend would lose traction when hitting a small bump on a fast corner.
In retrospect, the ride with the new springs and shocks was so much better that I wished I would have did this conversion a long time ago. Love the ride now, it is very solid and a good feel to the road.
My van is a 2012 Town & Country
Shocks - KYB 554379
Springs - MOOG 81632

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
When I replaced the rear springs (to get stiffer RT springs), I didn't have to remove the brake caliper. Just removed the nearby brake hose support bracket from the body, and unbolted the shock. Then there was enough play to pull out the spring and put the new one in. It's not hard at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the advice. New Shocks and springs on order. Should be replaced this weekend. As for why I am converting. It is two reasons cost. Nivomats run anywhere from $300-$550 a piece when conventional is a fraction of the price. The second reason is like mentioned earlier the Nivomats are a very soft ride. And when load up for the camping trip with the kids we were often coming close to maxxing out the suspension. I have heard the other springs are a little more stiff and can handle a more cargo load.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks everyone for the advice. New Shocks and springs on order. Should be replaced this weekend. As for why I am converting. It is two reasons cost. Nivomats run anywhere from $300-$550 a piece when conventional is a fraction of the price. The second reason is like mentioned earlier the Nivomats are a very soft ride. And when load up for the camping trip with the kids we were often coming close to maxxing out the suspension. I have heard the other springs are a little more stiff and can handle a more cargo load.
I think you will find the ride much better than before. I know I was impressed after I did the conversion. Please report back what you think when you are done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Follow up. Replaced the rear coil springs this morning. It was really quite easy, once I got enough blocks to support everything once I disconnected the shocks. Didn't need to disconnect any brake lines, just took out the bolt that held the brake line bracket to the van frame then that gave enough slack in all the lines for the rear end to drop down low enough to pop the springs out. Van sits great and drives great now. Highly recommend doing this to save a lot of $$$ if you ever have to replace the NIVOMAT self leveling air shocks. Thanks everyone for all the advice and tips.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts