The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
I was at an auto supply store a few minutes ago. Lots of ZEREX Dex-Cool on the shelves there.
Lots online too.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
But you're not going to serve it for lunch. :)

Engine coolant expiration date
Antifreeze, premixed has an expiration date of 1 to 5 years when kept in the original container. Check the bottle carefully for a date, or shelf life.

Antifreeze, concentrate has an Indefinite expiration date when stored in the original container.
Yeah, I know, you were going to impress us with that knowledge. Sorry to mess up your plans. :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I got concentrate.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,439 Posts
But you're not going to serve it for lunch. :)

Engine coolant expiration date

Yeah, I know, you were going to impress us with that knowledge. Sorry to mess up your plans. :)
I never said it has an expiration date (if I did, show me). If Valvoline did stopped producing it, has to be a good reason for it, only time will tell the truth.

I wouldn't buy a product that was discontinued, especially few years after it was discontinued.

Good try! :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
I never said it has an expiration date (if I did, show me). If Valvoline did stopped producing it, has to be a good reason for it, only time will tell the truth.

I wouldn't buy a product that was discontinued, especially few years after it was discontinued.

Good try! :)
They still make it, but under a different name. Dex-cool is a GM trademark name. I doubt Valvoline would want to pay anything to use the name when lots of people would associate the name with GM-only use. If you look up the material safety data sheets, it's the same stuff. They only changed the name a year or so, so stuff still on the shelf isn't that old.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,439 Posts
They still make it, but under a different name. Dex-cool is a GM trademark name. I doubt Valvoline would want to pay anything to use the name when lots of people would associate the name with GM-only use. If you look up the material safety data sheets, it's the same stuff. They only changed the name a year or so, so stuff still on the shelf isn't that old.
One year or so on the shelf is too long for me. Then they are going to keep it until stock runs out.

Can not make different brand using same formula.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sure they can. Just look at the MSDS (material safety data sheets). That's how I found replacement coolant for my Mazda, which is dark green. Ford Specialty Green is identical, and bonus, is less than half the price of the Mazda brand.

There are loads of products in the world (e.g. foods) that come off the same packaging line with different labels.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,439 Posts
Sure they can. Just look at the MSDS (material safety data sheets). That's how I found replacement coolant for my Mazda, which is dark green. Ford Specialty Green is identical, and bonus, is less than half the price of the Mazda brand.

There are loads of products in the world (e.g. foods) that come off the same packaging line with different labels.
MSDS and formula is not the same.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,439 Posts
Whatever.
Exactly, whatever.

Manufacturers are obligated to provide MSDS of every chemical product offered, but ask for their formula and wait for response. They will happily provide MSDS to you.

Try Coca Cola for instance, their formula was supposedly released some years ago, but ask Coca Cola for their formula and I apologize if you get it from them.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
One year or so on the shelf is too long for me. Then they are going to keep it until stock runs out.

So, house brand motor oil can't equal brand name oil?

Valvoline seems to be dropping Dex-Cool as a specific product and going for a product that meets Dex-Cool specs as well as those for Chrysler and Ford, hence American Vehicle. They already have Asian Vehicle and Universal Vehicle.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,439 Posts
So, house brand motor oil can't equal brand name oil?

Valvoline seems to be dropping Dex-Cool as a specific product and going for a product that meets Dex-Cool specs as well as those for Chrysler and Ford, hence American Vehicle. They already have Asian Vehicle and Universal Vehicle.
Yes, house brand can be as good as the best brand, or worst.

Some brands use coolant good for all vehicles, that doesn't mean is the very same formula as any of those.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I've been using Prestone's mixes-with-any for years with GM and Chrysler vehicles and no problems yet

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Yes, house brand can be as good as the best brand, or worst.

Some brands use coolant good for all vehicles, that doesn't mean is the very same formula as any of those.
But doesn't equal?

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
I thought "as good" means equal. Think I need to go back to school.

"As good as" doesn't mean the formulas are the same (equal). Performance may be more or less equal, but not the product formula.

So, can a house brand motor oil have the same formula as the name brand? That was the question. Same applies to coolant.

You said "Can not make different brand using same formula." so the answer would be no, I guess.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,439 Posts
"As good as" doesn't mean the formulas are the same (equal). Performance may be more or less equal, but not the product formula.

So, can a house brand motor oil have the same formula as the name brand? That was the question. Same applies to coolant.

You said "Can not make different brand using same formula." so the answer would be no, I guess.
Well, you are correct, as good but using different formula.

When I had my own "house brand" of batteries, the manufacturer would make good batteries but not the same as their own brand. They could make better batteries for me, as long as we provide "the formula".

We manufacture equipment for the oil field, one of the bigger players in the oil field buys equipment from us, they provide their own drawings and specs, we make them, but we can not use their drawings and specs (formula) for anybody else.

So you too think MSDS is the same as formula?

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Reactions: LEVY

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I use Evans Waterless Coolant in my 2002 T&C 3.8L. It cost ~$45/gal, but never needs changing. I use in all my vehicles exc. 1996 Voyager (using up older coolant). It is worth the cost to me to avoid all the problems w/ corrosion. I also replaced all the smaller coolant hoses w/ silicone (have rear heat). It does give less cooling ability than a water mixture, but if my van doesn't overheat under the toughest conditions it never will since the innards stay pristine. For me that is driving I-80 E over the Sierras or I-5 N climb out of LA at 65 mph on a 110 F day (where new vehicles are qualified).

Evans is basically 70% ethylene glycol and 30% propylene glycol, so you could mix your own cheaper. The later is sold as Sierra Coolant. But, both "pure" spec up to 5% water, so you might need to boil that off. I have, but it is a pain. Once the glycol reaches boiling (~350 F), to assure driving off the water, the vapor can catch fire, which has happened to me. The propylene vapor burned weakly, but the ethylene made a violent flame. Of course, I was smart enough to do this on a grill far from the house. Better to just pay for the real stuff.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts