The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some time ago my ex girlfriends son tried to steal my van and used a screwdriver on the lock breaking the metal housing and the SKIM module i think its called it goes around the key , so i had to get a new housing and i am a disabled vet who lives on nothing , so i had it towed to the chrysler shop and was given a 1400 dollar quote because they said the PCM/ECM was destroyed and it shocked me so i had them fix the console and put in a cheaper key and a new SKIM module and used cylinder , but i could not even come close to the price on the PCM/ECM so i bought one from a reseller a rebuilt one and put it in properly , it ran well for 2 weeks and all of a sudden it started and stopped and it finney wont even try turning over and i was told its because the SKIM was changed and the original and wheni purchased the new computer it did not include the 4 digit skim code so my question is there a way i can reset the pcm ecm so i can at least drive it to the chrysler shop 50 miles away the tow is 450 and like i said im a 100 percent disabled veteran and i cant even get this fxed for at least 2 months because of the cost to tow it please any suggestions will help

·
fix it if you can
4,971 Posts
Shoulda, woulda coulda just replaced the antenna (loop that goes around the lock cylinder) on the old SKIM (with a junk yard donor SKIM and a soldering iron).

Now you're stuck with inop van because SKIM doesn't recognize the key? and entered lock out.
You can call around to see if there are any mobile automotive locksmiths around, be sure to ask them if they can fix (have tools to work on) your specific model year van.

If you have a second / spare key, you can try that (but the odds are it won't work).

Thank you for your service and good luck.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I know you have been dealing with this for months.
TYFYS... Wish I could offer more than long distance advice....

Atoman likely has more insight that most.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,705 Posts
You have to keep the SKIM, chipped key, ECM/PCM and BCM all grouped together on these vans with the security system. 2001-2003 vans used separate ECM and TCM to control Engine and Transmission. 2004-2007 vans combined those modules into a single computer, the PCM. Depending what year you have will affect the price of the ECM or PCM needed.

The chip in the key is recognized by a new SKIM module, and SKIM sends a unique to that part 4 digit code to the ECM/PCM where it is programmed in. After that, no other SKIM module can activate that ECM/PCM. I think somehow that happened here, and the ECM has locked you out. You can try disconnecting the battery for a while to reset the memory and try again, and you get 5 more attempts to start with the proper code. If that still fails, the computer is still seeing the wrong SKIM code and can never be unlocked until the correct SKIM is used.

The BCM that I mentioned earlier is a one-way door. If it is a module from a van without security, it can be used in another van with or without security. Once it has learned SECURITY, it cannot go into a van WITHOUT security.

I mentioned the BCM for a possible cheaper fix, basically deleting security. To do that, you have to find a van without security that has the other features and same year as your van. Remove the SKIM first, then swap the ECM and BCM with the non-security modules. The van will now show a different VIN in the computer and display different mileage, but it will run without the security system. If that SKIM is plugged in and powered up (battery connected) then it will "imprint itself" onto a new ECM and you're stuck with security again, so very important to remove/unplug it FIRST if going with this method of repair.

Otherwise you're stuck having it towed to a dealer to have the SKIM and key, and ECM replaced and programmed AGAIN. It gets expensive fast. A young member goofed up his 2003 van adding a SKIM module to it without knowing what it did, got locked out, and a dealership had to fix it for over $1,000 and he STILL didn't get the security feature because it would have cost more.

·
fix it if you can
4,971 Posts
Yes, it's hard to know what's going on there without seeing it of having solid facts to go on.

Chrysler should have the SKIM PIN in their database, so not sure why "they said the PCM/ECM was destroyed"
and how did you get it home or did it sit in dealer lot until rebuilt PCM arrived?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts