The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Cherokee test drive

6K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  vipergg 
#1 ·
After seeing one at dealer's showroom, decided to take a test drive. Drove '17 Limited 4x4 with the 3.2L six (since the 4cyl is woefully underpowered for a 2-ton vehicle, and only gets 1-2mpg better fuel economy). Comfy, quiet, smooth ride, and decent handling. Solid chassis with no shudder over some pretty rough (cracked pavement) roads. Cargo room is less than competitors (CRV, Escape, etc), but Jeep offers the option of TRUE (off-road) 4wd systems and much higher capacity towing option. Unfortunately two notable things annoyed me. Apparently the radio cannot be shut off as it resumes play at whatever volume it was when last the vehicle was last turned off. Last person driving this Jeep must have loved LOUD hip hop. Only work around is to MANUALLY turn down the radio volume prior to shutting off the vehicle, but the audio system keeps running in the background. The other much more concerning annoyance was the stop-start 'feature' of the 3.2L. Engine shuts off when you brake to a stop, then the engine restarts when you lift off the brake to accelerate again. Usually a very brief delay, but clearly noticeable. However twice during the 4-5mi suburban test drive the system took a good 2-3 sec to restart the engine after stopping at a stop sign. This could be a traffic hazard if trying to turn left after stopping at an intersection. Not good at all. Apparently, Stop/Start can be turned off each time you start up the vehicle, but it cannot be permanently shut off in the vehicle settings. Would have hoped FCA would have fixed this before the vehicle's 3rd model year :( Too bad 'cause otherwise the Cherokee is a nice ride.

See less See more
#2 ·
Don't radios always come back on at the same volume they were turned off at?

#4 ·
Stop/start the most useless and I think like you the most potentially dangerous feature laid on the US buying market . Will "never" buy a vehicle where you can't at the very least turn it off . GM is completely off my list at this point because they arent even giving you that option on a lot of their vehicles .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.