The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1061 - 1069 of 1069 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,386 Posts
That is a different analogy entirely; Scamzoil ATF may (or may not) have a superior base oil, but it does not have the correct coefficient of friction (CoF), so running that crap in a Chrysler transmission will result in a shorter life than if you run ATF+4.
I think the big difference is that Amsoil doesn't use Lubrizol additives, as far as not meeting the ATF+4 requirements. Their base oil is probably better, or certainly as good. But, that's their decision. Amsoil is commonly used by Transmission Shops in transmissions requiring ATF+4.

·
Latent car nut
9,022 Posts
Amsoil is commonly used by Transmission Shops in transmissions requiring ATF+4.
Honestly, I seriously doubt that quote. Yes, there may be one or two misinformed shops out there (or shop owners who've drunk too much Scamzoil Kool-Aid), but as a general statement, I have to throw a huge amount of shade on it.

Reactions: beat_truck

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I just received 10 quarts of 5w-30 full synthetic motor oil from Costco for $29.99 S&H included (online)
Two, 5 quart jugs (Kirkland brand)

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,067 Posts
Perhaps Mobil 1 is so lofty that it can't stoop to the MS-6395 level. I don't know. There's no business logic in not stating they meet the MS-6395 requirements, if they meet those requirements. Other motor oil manufacturers can do it.

Anyway, at least while under warranty, it's advisable to avoid Mobil 1 oil. Could compare it to avoiding Amsoil automatic transmission fluid. It's good but not good enough.
Some good reading here:

·
Super Moderator
24,386 Posts
Thanks. I saw that before. Mobil 1 lists various vehicle Manufacturers specs for its various shades of Mobil 1, at least three different FORD specs.
Mobil 1 Engine Oil | Product Guide | Mobil
www.mobil.com › media › Project › WEP › shared › Products › Files

PDF
Additional product information, including Product Data Sheets and this chart, is available at mobiloil.com. Updated: June 2019. Brand Name. Viscosity. Nominal.
You've visited this page 2 times. Last visit: 16/07/20
Chrysler or Chrysler MS-6395 isn't one of them. One can make all the excuses they want for Mobil 1 but the fact is that they do not list MS-6395 in their technical literature. Conclusion: not listed, don't use it, save $.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
AND thanks to you guys and the MS6395 banter, while reading about it, I stumbled across this $10 rebate per 5qt Mobil One rebate, two per household
April 1st thru Sept 30 2020

So, at walmart $22.38 - $10 rebate... not bad.
Just under $2.50 per quart for Mobil one full syn. I suppose I'll run in my "beater with a heater...."

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,067 Posts
Thanks. I saw that before. Mobil 1 lists various vehicle Manufacturers specs for its various shades of Mobil 1, at least three different FORD specs.

Chrysler or Chrysler MS-6395 isn't one of them. One can make all the excuses they want for Mobil 1 but the fact is that they do not list MS-6395 in their technical literature. Conclusion: not listed, don't use it, save $.
I knew you already saw it before.

Metallurgy inside the Chrysler vehicles is no different to metallurgy on other vehicles.

Chrysler may require whatever oil they want, if one oil is good on any other modern engine, then is no reason why it would not be good in Chrysler engines.

Mobil 1 and any other modern SAE engine oil should be good enough on Chrysler engines.

·
Registered
2014 Town & Country
70 Posts
...Mobil 1 and any other modern SAE engine oil should be good enough on Chrysler engines.
My 2014 T&C is at 170k miles and counting. Below are the results of a compression and leak down test from a couple months ago...

·
Super Moderator
24,386 Posts
I knew you already saw it before.

Metallurgy inside the Chrysler vehicles is no different to metallurgy on other vehicles.

Chrysler may require whatever oil they want, if one oil is good on any other modern engine, then is no reason why it would not be good in Chrysler engines.

Mobil 1 and any other modern SAE engine oil should be good enough on Chrysler engines.
OK, let's just say that Mobil 1 dismisses Chrysler MS-6395 Specification, for whatever reason one can conjure up.

Dismissal = no desire to pursue that market, couldn't care less, not needed, insignificant. So, why buy Mobil 1 oil for a technical masterpiece specifying MS-6395? It doesn't suit. Mobil 1 is no marvel mystery miracle oil for Chrysler engines, or any other engine, for that matter. Shame on the arrogance, if that's what it is, of Mobil 1.

I think I will stick with Valvoline Daily Protection 5W-30 conventional oil. I have pretty well ruled out Mobil 1. :)

Reactions: LEVY
1061 - 1069 of 1069 Posts