The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 SE, which still has the original light bulbs from factory. My family has 3 other vehicles, and all of them have significantly brighter bulbs in the front. It could also be the angle that the lights point up too far? How would I set this though? Low beam and high beam there isn't really any difference.

Is this a design issue with the headlamps, or is this just factory cheap bulbs?

I went to Canadian tire to check which bulbs they sell for the van, and the brand was the same as the one I pulled from my headlight.

Do you guys have any recommendations as to which bulbs to buy and replace for the factory ones? I'd prefer the same color to be emitted, but stronger. (Not the white light) but they don't have to be halogen

I do have appcar which has a page where I can set different bulb types, such as halogen HID and so on.

·
Registered
295 Posts
As a suggestion, replace factory H13 Halogen bulbs with H13 LED bulbs and adjust their aim (due to natural crown shape of Canadian roads).

For possible product, surf: 9008/H13 High Low Beam LED Headlight Bulbs Waterproof All-in-One LED Headlight Conversion Kit 12 x CSP Chips Fog Light Headlamp with Cooling Fan, DOT Approved Mini Design 6000K Xenon White (2 Pack), Headlight Bulbs - Amazon Canada

If wondering, I replaced the factory Halogen with LEDs in my low beam (and also installed Anti-flicker modules) and they work great. Especially after I adjusted their aim. IMO, LEDs should be factory build.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
If you don't want LED, I've used Philips X-treme Vision and been pretty happy with them.

LED bulbs can be hit or miss. I have some I really like in our van (H11 size) and my other car, though one did just lose one of the two diodes after 3 years. They were moderately priced bulbs, and not available anymore.

Reactions: Michalb

·
Registered
855 Posts
If you don't want LED, I've used Philips X-treme Vision and been pretty happy with them.

LED bulbs can be hit or miss. I have some I really like in our van (H11 size) and my other car, though one did just lose one of the two diodes after 3 years. They were moderately priced bulbs, and not available anymore.
I installed the Philips X-Treme Visions on my 2010 last year, they are brighter than the Sylvania's I had before, but not "up 100% more light" as the package claimed but the whiter light it produced was nice.

I have a 2009 SE, which still has the original light bulbs from factory. My family has 3 other vehicles, and all of them have significantly brighter bulbs in the front. It could also be the angle that the lights point up too far? How would I set this though? Low beam and high beam there isn't really any difference.

Is this a design issue with the headlamps, or is this just factory cheap bulbs?

I went to Canadian tire to check which bulbs they sell for the van, and the brand was the same as the one I pulled from my headlight.

Do you guys have any recommendations as to which bulbs to buy and replace for the factory ones? I'd prefer the same color to be emitted, but stronger. (Not the white light) but they don't have to be halogen

I do have appcar which has a page where I can set different bulb types, such as halogen HID and so on.
How did you get the original bulbs to last so long? Mine lasted about 5 or 6 years. I think Canadian Tire only has Sylvania bulbs, you're better off getting them from Walmart for less.

Never tried LEDs but as I mentioned the Philips X-Treme visions produced more light. The trade off is they burnout sooner, but their not hard to replace.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
The key is "up to" 100% more light. That depends on your starting point.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I installed the Philips X-Treme Visions on my 2010 last year, they are brighter than the Sylvania's I had before, but not "up 100% more light" as the package claimed but the whiter light it produced was nice.

How did you get the original bulbs to last so long? Mine lasted about 5 or 6 years. I think Canadian Tire only has Sylvania bulbs, you're better off getting them from Walmart for less.

Never tried LEDs but as I mentioned the Philips X-Treme visions produced more light. The trade off is they burnout sooner, but their not hard to replace.
I have no idea how they lasted so long, the battery is also original since 09 and a shop recently tested it and said it passed their machine test.

Canadian tire does only have the Sylvanian bulbs, I checked recently.

As long as the bulbs are brighter then the factory I won't complain, I drive a bunch at night so these are quite important.

·
Super Moderator
25,122 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
How about Wagner Bright Light?
That's a pretty good price, even with shipping it's costs about half of what you'd pay at Walmart or Canadian Tire.

I have no idea how they lasted so long, the battery is also original since 09 and a shop recently tested it and said it passed their machine test.

Canadian tire does only have the Sylvanian bulbs, I checked recently.

As long as the bulbs are brighter then the factory I won't complain, I drive a bunch at night so these are quite important.
Unfortunately Canadian Tire has limited selection, unless you want to consider their in house Motomaster/Certified brands, but I suspect they'd only be on par with factory lights.

I'm starting to notice Walmart's automotive selection get smaller as well. But when they do clear inventory, you can get great deals, I paid like $2 for a battery terminal cleaner, got injector cleaner for about 75% off, and even WD40 at less than half price off before.

·
Super Moderator
25,122 Posts
How bright are they compared to factory? I hope they won't blind other drivers?
From rockauto.com:
BriteLite; 80% More Light

This vivid and bright lighting solution creates a beam pattern that is up to 120 feet longer and up to 80% brighter than Wagner® standard halogen bulbs. Wagner BriteLite® maximizes your viewing area for safer and easier night driving.
  • Up to 80% Brighter*
  • Up to 120' Longer View*
  • Whiter light than standard halogen (up to 3,500K)
  • Equipped with xenon gas and high-powered low-beam filament
  • DOT/SAE compliant
Then there's the Wagner:
Night Defense; Non-Glaring Yellow Light; Increased Beam Pattern
When the roads you travel put you in rural settings on poorly lit roads, Wagner® Night Defense™ is your ideal lighting solution. It clearly improves your field of vision with a whiter, brighter and wider light for safer driving.

An exclusive tri-color/tri-zone coating disperses light up to 40% brighter and projects a beam pattern up to 60 feet longer than standard OEM lamps. This unique technology provides a yellow light at the top view that is non-glaring into oncoming traffic while the whiter, wider light makes it easier to read signs on the side of the road.
  • Up to 40% brighter than standard OEM lamps
  • Delivers 60-foot longer view
  • Emits non-glaring yellow light into oncoming traffic
  • White light makes it easier to read road signs
  • Ideal for rural settings

·
Super Moderator
25,122 Posts
That's a pretty good price, even with shipping it's costs about half of what you'd pay at Walmart or Canadian Tire.
Way better than Amazon too.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Way better than Amazon too.
That too, I'm starting to notice more products for cars on Amazon are showing prices higher than retail stores, especially engine oil.

Valvoline Daily Protection oil currently listed at over $50 for a 5L bottle

Even the Philips headlights is about $20 more than what I paid last year

·
Registered
36 Posts
The big retailer named for the South American river has prongs everywhere. I bet they are consciously picking out markets where inexperienced buyers will purchase.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Walmart has Sylvania zXe on clearance for under $35. None of the stores around me carry them but you can order online for free delivery on orders over $35. SYLVANIA H13 zXe Halogen Headlight | Walmart Canada

Supposed to give you the look and attitude of HIDs. Trade off is they will burnout quicker..

Personally I never used these and seeing mixed reviews online

The person appears on AutoTrader and other media outlets has pictures to show they are brighter and whiter (compares stock headlights that are a few months old to the zXe)

Bob is the Oil Guy forum has more negative

1 - 15 of 15 Posts