The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,844 Posts
Not everybody uses their tools enough to warrant remortgaging their house to buy Snap Off tools.

I have a wire feed welder, two angle grinders, a reciprocating saw, two drills, regualr and deep impact sockets, torx and allen sockets, screw drivers, and other tools I can't think of off hand . All from HF. Some I've had for years now. They all do their jobs and none have broke yet. I'm not gentle with them either because I don't really care if they break.
I guess Princess Auto, in Canada, would be similar to Harbor Freight. Once one goes in the store, there's so much to see, sort of like going to a museum, everything from cowbells to mini-excavators, with lots of tools, trailer parts, welding/air/hydraulic equipment in between. There's more variety than any Harbor Freight I have been in. Their house brand is Power Fist, but a professional would likely be embarrassed to have Power Fist tools in their tool box.

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan C/V
394 Posts
I bought a little pancake air compressor from HF because I am working on a house we are getting ready to move into, and my big 220v compressor is still here. That is something I wish I hadn't bought as I didn't read the reviews first, and they are really bad. I haven't really had to use it much yet, but it seems OK for now. For $40, if (likely when) it dies, I won't lose any sleep over it, though.

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan C/V
394 Posts
I guess Princess Auto, in Canada, would be similar to Harbor Freight. Once one goes in the store, there's so much to see, sort of like going to a museum, everything from cowbells to mini-excavators, with lots of tools, trailer parts, welding/air/hydraulic equipment in between. There's more variety than any Harbor Freight I have been in. Their house brand is Power Fist, but a professional would likely be embarrassed to have Power Fist tools in their tool box.

I'm not a mechanic in a shop anymore. Even when I was, I never bought high dollar tools. I was never impressed by fancy, expensive brand names.

Some professionals actually do use HF tools to some extent because they are lifetime warranty, and usually have replacements in stock. No waiting for the tool trucks to show up. I've also heard that Snap Off is progressively giving people a harder time when fixing / replacing tools under warranty. Even wanting proof of purchase in some cases.:oops:

My neighbor is a professional contractor and actually owns a lot of HF tools. Even he says that it doesn't make sense to buy high dollar tools that he doesn't use all the time.

As for Craftsman, their old US made tools were pretty decent. The last socket set I bought from them was Chinese crap that is not even as nice as what they sell at HF. :rolleyes: Sears was also getting worse about replacing broken tools at times, too.

Power Fist is a pretty embarrassing name in general, though.:)

·
Registered
2005 Town & Country 251k miles
55 Posts
I also used to buy Craftsman tools, but Sears sold that brand to Stanley tools. Craftsman tools used to be made in USA, not anymore.

No more Craftsman for me.
I have two older Craftsman socket wrench sets made in the USA and they are excellent. But I no longer purchase Craftsman since they are now all junk. Once in a while I look at them in the store and they are not the same quality as the old made in USA ones I own. I cannot afford Snap-On so I purchase HF, Tekton, Gearwrench and some others.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Back to the original problem, if it started when you began using the 12VDC laptop charger, I would say stop using it. It is defective or draws more current than expected. Replace it with a different brand.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I doubt the failures of your power windows, starter, and coil-pack has anything to do with the battery or even the charging system. If you measure 14 to 15 VDC at the cigarette lighter with engine running, your alternator is fine so don't touch it. If the battery is doing its job, the starter will turn the engine over fine. If the later isn't true, don't blame the battery and charging until you verify no drops thru the cabling to the starter, which is a common issue.

I have many tools from Harbor Freight. They have been upgrading the brands they carry lately, and thus the prices, but still offer cheaper choices. Many top-dollar tools are also from China. I have rebuilt engines and transmissions, so HF tools can suffice. Indeed, to rebuild my minivan transmissions, very few special tools are needed, just large snap-ring pliers and a large flat screwdriver.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Your costco battery is just fine. You aren't going to get much better. redtop Optima size 34 I had in mine, but quality of Optima isn't what it used to be. Now I just get my batteries from Costco and replace them right after warranty expires - never had an issue.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So the day after my last post the adapter heated up and burnt. I purchased another one for 20 bucks off craigslist and it's working better. Does not drain the battery and doesn't heat up as much. I also try not to run the laptop long period with it plugged in.

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I doubt the failures of your power windows, starter, and coil-pack has anything to do with the battery or even the charging system.
It's paranoia. I had so many things break down one after the other, I needed something to blame it on; it just and heap of junk. I regret selling my 2004 CRV. Big mistake even though it had rear damage from a collision I should've kept it till the insurance company refuse to cover it.
But that's all history now.

Thanks

·
Registered
90 Posts
How about marine battery deep cycle with capacity 75 АН and higher?

21 - 30 of 30 Posts