The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2016 DGC will be 5 years old in May. My rule of thumb is to expect some problems after 5 years and replace by 6 years.

Went to start the vehicle on Saturday, after not running it for a couple of days, and not much happened. Had lights and radio but no start, or rapid clicking of the solenoid. I have a spare battery out of an Acura hanging around but since sometimes jump starting doesn't work, I put the battery charger on the OE 10.5 volt +/- weak battery. Next day, battery was charged up to 12.5 volts, tried to start it, and experienced the same condition as the day before. Checked the battery and it was down to 10.5 volts, just like that.

Figured that battery was toast, or at least one cell was toast. Took it out and put in the Acura battery. The engine started and all was well except the Acura battery didn't fit in the tray so good. I let it sit overnight to see if there was any drain in it.

There wasn't any drain so the conclusion was an OE Battery, that had a shorter life than expected, was the only problem. Got a new battery at Costco on Monday.

Some observations from that experience:
  • nice to have a multimeter
  • nice to know what to expect for battery voltages
  • take it easy on the tightening contraption for the battery terminal connections -flimsy??
  • nice to keep an old, working battery around, just in case
  • the Acura battery had been sitting around all winter+ and was still showing 12+ volts
  • OE batteries made in Brazil aren't so great, even if it mentions Johnson Controls on them :)
  • OE battery had CCA rating of 730 amps
  • hopefully Costco Kirkland/Johnson Controls, made in China, battery has a longer life
  • new battery has CCA rating of 790 amps
  • the two batteries look identical, insulation blanket fit fine
  • battery group size H7
  • Kirkland Signature Automotive (flooded battery)
0-48 months - Free replacement
49-66 months - 50% refund based on purchase price
67-100 months - 25% refund based on purchase price
- Costco Web Site: Manufacturer Information

Premium Member
2009 Chrysler Town and Country
5 yrs you were on borrowed time for the last year and a half . Its rare to get 4 yrs from a battery anymore. They just don't make them like they use to . Most battery co lowered the warranty time a few years ago. Diehard comes to mind immediately.

I can just about guarantee you won't get 5 yrs out of the replacement. 馃槬

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You say factory batteries are bad? Mine lasted me until last month, that's 11 years.... :p Maybe I got lucky?
Normally they are good, this "made in Brazil" one, not so much.

11 years = over 5 years on borrowed time. :) Had a battery in the Jeep that was still working at 8 years. If a vehicle isn't driven much then 8 years is a sometimes thing.

Aren't cheap, $155.00 Canadian.

Reactions: Michalb

--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
My 2016 DGC will be 5 years old in May. My rule of thumb is to expect some problems after 5 years and replace by 6 years.
  • OE batteries made in Brazil aren't so great, even if it mentions Johnson Controls on them :)
  • OE battery had CCA rating of 730 amps
  • hopefully Costco Kirkland/Johnson Controls, made in China, battery has a longer life
Very few batteries actually mention "distributed by Johnson Controls" and not "made by Johnson Controls".

Premium Member
Seems like the more they cost the shorter they last . Myself working in a garage that the core of the business is maintaining vehicles. I check a lot of batteries .

I rarely see a battery that last more than five years . Oh i realize there a exceptions to the rule . I just had to replace the battery in my 10 and it was not quite a year old .For some strange reason I've replaced the battery in my 09 three times inside 2 yrs
Very few batteries actually mention "distributed by Johnson Controls" and not "made by Johnson Controls".
That is indeed true

Registered
2014 Dodge Grand caravan SXT
7 years and counting on my 2014's factory battery. Both happy and pleasantly surprised that it's performed this well for this long. Glad to hear a quick replacement got you up and running!

Curious - any particular reasons that made you go flooded versus AGM?

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
7 years and counting on my 2014's factory battery. Both happy and pleasantly surprised that it's performed this well for this long. Glad to hear a quick replacement got you up and running!

Habit, not that familiar with AGM, other than they are more expensive (by $100.00)

Three misconceptions about AGM batteries

I would have to throw away my battery charger and multimeter. :)

Registered
You say factory batteries are bad? Mine lasted me until last month, that's 11 years.... :p Maybe I got lucky?
Yeah, the battery in my Journey lasted a mere 9 months. But I did get 18 years out of the battery in my 96 Windstar. Also had a couple of Delcos that lasted 18 years.

Registered
I replaced the battery in my 2016 DGC in Feb 2020 when it turned 4 years old because, in my experience and observations, batteries won't last much longer than that here in Florida. The original battery still worked OK but I now replace my car batteries when they hit 4 years old because I don't want any 'surprises', like pulling into a gas station and then not being able to restart (happened years ago to wifes Toyota). Current DGC battery is a Walmart Maxx H7. I've also used Sams Club Duracell and Costco Interstate batteries in other cars with good results.

I still use that original DGC battery to occasionally start and run an Olds 455 engine that I have as a spare for my old GMC motorhome.

Reactions: Jeepman

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The OE, made in Brazil, battery had "Distributed by Johnson Controls" on it. The Kirkland, made in China replacement, had "Distributed by Johnson Controls" on it as well.

Johnson Controls battery division was sold in 2019 to Clarios but it looks like the Johnson Controls name is still beig used on batteries.
Glendale is now home to a new company as Johnson Controls completes sale of its battery business
Clarios makes more than one out of every two advanced batteries, known as absorbent glass mat batteries, in the world. And Walicki said the company has more manufacturing capacity for advanced batteries than all of its competitors combined.

鈥淭hat鈥檚 why we are so excited about the future,鈥 he said.

The batteries 鈥 which have a higher profit margin 鈥 now are in the majority of new cars sold in China, where the company is opening a third plant.
Investment anyone? :)

--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
If you have a choice, gel batteries last longer than AGM batteries, problem is, gel batteries are very heavy and expensive.

I used to be a dealer for EastPenn batteries, 95% of my sales were gel batteries, 5% AGM batteries.

Registered
I replaced the battery, in my 2014, with a Kirkland batter, a couple of years ago.. I had no idea they were made in China. As an aside, the original battery in my '99, lasted 13 years.

Premium Member
I replaced the battery in my 2016 DGC in Feb 2020 when it turned 4 years old because, in my experience and observations, batteries won't last much longer than that here in Florida. The original battery still worked OK but I now replace my car batteries when they hit 4 years old because I don't want any 'surprises', like pulling into a gas station and then not being able to restart (happened years ago to wifes Toyota). Current DGC battery is a Walmart Maxx H7. I've also used Sams Club Duracell and Costco Interstate batteries in other cars with good results.

I still use that original DGC battery to occasionally start and run an Olds 455 engine that I have as a spare for my old GMC motorhome.
I definitely agree with the four years. I recently replaced the battery in my truck i slipped and let it go five years . It wasn't giving me any problems . I just didn't trust it anymore I was starting to think i was on borrowed time

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wonder how long they are lasting on the stop-start equipped vehicles.

Premium Member
The battery will probably last longer than the starter 馃槅. I think

Registered

My 2014 will 8 years old in November, van purchased and driven in NJ for it's 1st 6 years, original battery still cranking fine in the Florida heat, almost 2 years later.

Reactions: Jeepman

Registered
I replaced my battery just before 5 yrs (Apr 28) and 100000 km with a Costco AGM. Went out one morning and it failed to start with the remote start on the keyfob. Inserting the key in the dash's ignition switch produced no joy, but charging it overnight with a NOCO Genius 5 charger worked. I toyed with the idea of going for the less expensive flooded battery, but after reading about cars with original AGM batteries having a different charging set up, I just sucked it up and ordered it. With covid times, I didn't see AGM batteries on the Costco shelf, so it was delivered in good shape and recent date of manufacture (IIRC, it was Feb/21). Put the battery charger on it for 24 hours before installing it and it's been good. Kept the original battery rather than returning it for the core charge with the intent of having it as back up; Charged it a number of times, including running it through a 'repair' cycle.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts