The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
B-pillar trim on back of driver door jettisoned on the interstate. New mopar part arrived today any advice for installing the new piece? Should I remove the foam tape backing first or remove after installing? Couldn't find a youtube video or anything on my searches on here.

Would appreciate any tips.

Thanks, John

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, sometimes I overthink things a bit, pretty easy install, but, makes me appreciate the steel on my Jeep.

Removal and installation only requires a small torx (star) bit, not sure size. Open the door and find two torx screws near the bottom of the "B" pillar, the top one secures this piece in place, leave the bottom one. Pull the piece outwards and slide it upwards, you may be fighting the tape. Mine snapped off about an inch above the screw so no problem for me. Clean the old tape residue off of the metal of the door using something like simple green that does not leave a residue.

Installation
There are three pieces of double sided tape, one on the front edge, one on the top and one midway down. Leave these on until it is in place (I did loosen the middle one a bit and it made it easier to get a hold of later. slide the tab in at the top, make sure both sides are in and that it slides down far enough so the screw in the bottom lines up, but don't put screw in. While still loose remove the big rectangle piece of tape. then grab the tab on the top piece of tape and gentle pull it off. The long one on the leading edge needs to be removed next. start with the tab on the top and remove pulling towards the front of the vehicle and down. As you go down you can use this to make sure the rubber piece comes over the front edge of your new piece. This rubber piece should keep wind from getting behind it and causing future failure.

After having this apart, I now know why mine failed, the rubber tape around the top edge of the window became damaged when we first got the van, Chrysler replaced it under warranty. To replace that tape this piece must be removed, I am thinking they put it back in without new adhesive leading to the failure.

Hopefully this is the permanent fix. I do wonder if that center piece of tape was on the original one, there was no tape residue there and there was where the other two pieces were.

Hopefully this helps someone else,
John

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ok, sometimes I overthink things a bit, pretty easy install, but, makes me appreciate the steel on my Jeep.

Removal and installation only requires a small torx (star) bit, not sure size. Open the door and find two torx screws near the bottom of the "B" pillar, the top one secures this piece in place, leave the bottom one. Pull the piece outwards and slide it upwards, you may be fighting the tape. Mine snapped off about an inch above the screw so no problem for me. Clean the old tape residue off of the metal of the door using something like simple green that does not leave a residue.

Installation
There are three pieces of double sided tape, one on the front edge, one on the top and one midway down. Leave these on until it is in place (I did loosen the middle one a bit and it made it easier to get a hold of later. slide the tab in at the top, make sure both sides are in and that it slides down far enough so the screw in the bottom lines up, but don't put screw in. While still loose remove the big rectangle piece of tape. then grab the tab on the top piece of tape and gentle pull it off. The long one on the leading edge needs to be removed next. start with the tab on the top and remove pulling towards the front of the vehicle and down. As you go down you can use this to make sure the rubber piece comes over the front edge of your new piece. This rubber piece should keep wind from getting behind it and causing future failure.

After having this apart, I now know why mine failed, the rubber tape around the top edge of the window became damaged when we first got the van, Chrysler replaced it under warranty. To replace that tape this piece must be removed, I am thinking they put it back in without new adhesive leading to the failure.

Hopefully this is the permanent fix. I do wonder if that center piece of tape was on the original one, there was no tape residue there and there was where the other two pieces were.

Hopefully this helps someone else,
John

John (or anyone), where can I get the small torx screw? I lost mine and searching and searching for the "screw part number" isn't working. Anyone have an extra or know exactly where I can buy it w/ URL?

·
Super Moderator
24,417 Posts
John (or anyone), where can I get the small torx screw? I lost mine and searching and searching for the "screw part number" isn't working. Anyone have an extra or know exactly where I can buy it w/ URL?
Driver size is T15. Take the screw out of the other side and shop based on that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Driver size is T15. Take the screw out of the other side and shop based on that.
Yes I could do that but since they are self-tapping (that much I remember before I lost it), I don't want to ruin the other panels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts