The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have the 430 REN radio in my 09 GCV with the U-connect buttons but no U-connect, so I decided to add the U-connect feature.

Quick info, if you have the NAV, then the U-connect is actually integrated into the radio itself, so no U-connect module. But for every other factory radio that has U-connect, there is a module located underneath the driver side dash, above and aft of the parking brake lever.

These modules can be found at the local junkyard (if you find one with it anyway), if it has the radio with the U-connect buttons, it may have it (except the nav radio). And if the radio has been removed, look for the center connector, which I will link below, only vans with U-connect will have the center connector.

Edit: Programming is necessary to enable the hands free function. This can be done VIA a dealer adding the hands free programming to your vehicle config, through a CD that inserts into your radio and programs it, or using appcar FCA or Alford OBD (which each program costs 50USD per vehicle VIN)

The auto dimming center mirror does not require programming, it just needs a power and a ground to work.

So, removal and installation is easy, the U-connect module itself has it's own harness, which may be held onto the main harness at 2 points with a zip tie. The necessary wiring is already present in your van, with all the required connectors.

What you will need is, the U-connect module, 1 cross screw, the wiring harness from the module to the radio, an auto dimming center rear view mirror, and the wiring for the auto mirror. The mike is integrated into the center mirror, and it has a connector behind the A-pillar which splits off for the U-connect wiring.

I don't have attached photos for the rear view mirror, or the wiring for it (as it has been installed a few months back), but it is quite simple. Above the parking brake, there is a connector taped to the main harness, it will be either grey or white, make sure the color matches your van.

The wiring will run from that connector, behind the felt and up to the driver A-pillar, and it will be zip tied to a few support places along the way. I suggest cutting the felt, then cut the zip ties off the harness to release the wiring, pulling will result in cuts. Once at the A-pillar, there will be a connector where the U-connect wires split off from the auto mirror wires.

From there, the wiring runs up the A-pillar, then to the mirror itself.

Next comes the actual U-connect wiring. As pictured in the first photo, the module sits just above and aft of the parking brake. It is held in by a plastic tree type holder on the far side from the driver, and the closes one is held in by a cross screw.

The wiring leads from the unit, to the A-pillar connector mentioned above which leads to the mike on the center rear view mirror. Wires split off for the radio just before that, and head to right above the steering wheel shaft, where there are 2 connectors on the donor van, and 1 connector on your van.

In the photo above, is what you will see on your van. You will notice that the connectors are the same, except that one side has a red wire. That is power for the module. The U-connect wiring to the module (with the red wire) plugs into the one with the red wire you see above, and the return plugs into the one with just the 2 CAN bus wires.

Then from there, the wiring goes directly to the back of the radio. You will need to remove the radio, and the U-connect wiring to the radio is the small center grey plug. I noticed a zip tie held the center connector wiring to the main radio wiring just aft of the vent holes, cut that, and pull the wiring from the driver foot well.

One more thing, as a part of the wiring just behind the radio, there is a black wire that joins the wiring and leads down. I made the mistake of cutting it, but that is the ground for the module itself. It bolts onto the frame of the dash, by the climate controls.

Once that wiring is all out, you simply need to reverse the steps to install it into your van, and then activate the hands free configuration.

On your van the photo above is where the module mounts to, you see the parking brake on the right. The closest hole is for the screw, and the farther hole is for the tree type plastic holder. I screwed the unit into place, and I did not like how close the wires were to the parking brake. So I twisted the module toward the driver, and secured the upper part by electrical tape instead. Even if you just use the screw, it will hold very well with how light the unit is.

For 08-10, Bluetooth streaming is not available (which I really wanted), not sure if I need new hardware, or new software for it to work, or maybe both. Either way, I will be looking for a way to get Bluetooth streaming.

But minus no Bluetooth streaming, the unit is very quick to respond, easy to use, and I think works fantastic. And for the price, I'm not upset that it doesn't have Bluetooth, but I am looking into making it work, or for a newer module that does have Bluetooth streaming capability. But for now, 2011 and newer vans are too new to be at the junkyard, and when they are they are stripped fast.

Attachments

·
Registered
383 Posts
Nice tutorial! So all 5th gen vans with navigation do have uConnect? I was under the impression that some of the early years it was still optional on those vans. Like I thought there were some 2008-10 Limiteds with standard NAV that still didn't have uConnect (at least according to the build sheets I've checked.) But I'm not sure, maybe the hardware was there but just not activated?

Do you know if all auto dimming mirrors of these years have the microphone or are there two different styles?

Also I'm assuming they added text message capability when they added the Bluetooth audio streaming to it.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice tutorial! So all 5th gen vans with navigation do have uConnect? I was under the impression that some of the early years it was still optional on those vans. Like I thought there were some 2008-10 Limiteds with standard NAV that still didn't have uConnect (at least according to the build sheets I've checked.) But I'm not sure, maybe the hardware was there but just not activated?

Do you know if all auto dimming mirrors of these years have the microphone or are there two different styles?

Also I'm assuming they added text message capability when they added the Bluetooth audio streaming to it.
I'm quite sure that if you have nav, you have U-connect. I heard this from others when discussing U-connect with others who worked at the dealer, and that's what I've been told.

I'm not entirely sure about the auto mirror, my guess is that the mirrors will have the mike installed always. Although some high end vans had auto high beams, there is this "camera" type box mounted close to the windshield and is a part of the mirror, so 2 variants for sure at the least.

Just look for the wires to the radio, if the center small connector is there, then it will have the mike in the auto mirror.

·
Super Moderator
6,452 Posts
I have the 430 REN radio in my 09 GCV with the U-connect buttons but no U-connect, so I decided to add the U-connect feature.

Quick info, if you have the NAV, then the U-connect is actually integrated into the radio itself, so no U-connect module. But for every other factory radio that has U-connect, there is a module located underneath the driver side dash, above and aft of the parking brake lever.

These modules can be found at the local junkyard (if you find one with it anyway), if it has the radio with the U-connect buttons, it may have it (except the nav radio). And if the radio has been removed, look for the center connector, which I will link below, only vans with U-connect will have the center connector.

No programming is needed for the U-connect to work, or for the auto mirror with the mike to work. I paid 20$ for the rear view mirror, and 10$ for the module itself. This is significantly less then paying for a U-connect kit new online.

View attachment 59230

So, removal and installation is easy, the U-connect module itself has it's own harness, which may be held onto the main harness at 2 points with a zip tie. The necessary wiring is already present in your van, with all the required connectors.

What you will need is, the U-connect module, 1 cross screw, the wiring harness from the module to the radio, an auto dimming center rear view mirror, and the wiring for the auto mirror. The mike is integrated into the center mirror, and it has a connector behind the A-pillar which splits off for the U-connect wiring.
View attachment 59231
View attachment 59232

I don't have attached photos for the rear view mirror, or the wiring for it (as it has been installed a few months back), but it is quite simple. Above the parking brake, there is a connector taped to the main harness, it will be either grey or white, make sure the color matches your van.

The wiring will run from that connector, behind the felt and up to the driver A-pillar, and it will be zip tied to a few support places along the way. I suggest cutting the felt, then cut the zip ties off the harness to release the wiring, pulling will result in cuts. Once at the A-pillar, there will be a connector where the U-connect wires split off from the auto mirror wires.

From there, the wiring runs up the A-pillar, then to the mirror itself.

Next comes the actual U-connect wiring. As pictured in the first photo, the module sits just above and aft of the parking brake. It is held in by a plastic tree type holder on the far side from the driver, and the closes one is held in by a cross screw.

The wiring leads from the unit, to the A-pillar connector mentioned above which leads to the mike on the center rear view mirror. Wires split off for the radio just before that, and head to right above the steering wheel shaft, where there are 2 connectors on the donor van, and 1 connector on your van.
View attachment 59233

In the photo above, is what you will see on your van. You will notice that the connectors are the same, except that one side has a red wire. That is power for the module. The U-connect wiring to the module (with the red wire) plugs into the one with the red wire you see above, and the return plugs into the one with just the 2 CAN bus wires.

Then from there, the wiring goes directly to the back of the radio. You will need to remove the radio, and the U-connect wiring to the radio is the small center grey plug. I noticed a zip tie held the center connector wiring to the main radio wiring just aft of the vent holes, cut that, and pull the wiring from the driver foot well.
View attachment 59234

One more thing, as a part of the wiring just behind the radio, there is a black wire that joins the wiring and leads down. I made the mistake of cutting it, but that is the ground for the module itself. It bolts onto the frame of the dash, by the climate controls.

Once that wiring is all out, you simply need to reverse the steps to install it into your van. No programming is necessary. You also get the added bonus of having the auto dimming center mirror, which also doesn't require any programming.
View attachment 59235

On your van the photo above is where the module mounts to, you see the parking brake on the right. The closest hole is for the screw, and the farther hole is for the tree type plastic holder. I screwed the unit into place, and I did not like how close the wires were to the parking brake. So I twisted the module toward the driver, and secured the upper part by electrical tape instead. Even if you just use the screw, it will hold very well with how light the unit is.

For 08-10, Bluetooth streaming is not available (which I really wanted), not sure if I need new hardware, or new software for it to work, or maybe both. Either way, I will be looking for a way to get Bluetooth streaming.

But minus no Bluetooth streaming, the unit is very quick to respond, easy to use, and I think works fantastic. And for the price, I'm not upset that it doesn't have Bluetooth, but I am looking into making it work, or for a newer module that does have Bluetooth streaming capability. But for now, 2011 and newer vans are too new to be at the junkyard, and when they are they are stripped fast.
I would think that if you got a Uconnect module from a 2011+ van, you'd have the BT streaming.

·
Super Moderator
6,452 Posts

Not necessarily:
  • The 730N or RER/RHR radios have the uconnect BT module built into them
  • The 430N or RHB (Garmin) radios have an external BT module.
Would the build sheet show BT, if it is included in the radio vs a separate module?

I would definitely check the mirrors, it's obvious to see if there are mics, as an auto-dimming mirror without mics would be thinner, I'd think (guessing)

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would think that if you got a Uconnect module from a 2011+ van, you'd have the BT streaming.
Well, today I got a uconnect module from a 2012 GCV, the plugs are the same so I just swapped out the units.

When I go to stream music via BT, the van doesn't play music but my phone shows that it the van is, turning up the volume to max on my phone shows that BT should be playing and that's why my phone speakers aren't playing the music.

I believe this is a software issue with my REN radio, because as you mention BT streaming isn't available until 2011, so being a 09 no wonder. Any way to update the radio to the software a 2012 has?

·
Premium Member
2009 Chrysler Town and Country
620 Posts
Well, today I got a uconnect module from a 2012 GCV, the plugs are the same so I just swapped out the units.

When I go to stream music via BT, the van doesn't play music but my phone shows that it the van is, turning up the volume to max on my phone shows that BT should be playing and that's why my phone speakers aren't playing the music.

I believe this is a software issue with my REN radio, because as you mention BT streaming isn't available until 2011, so being a 09 no wonder. Any way to update the radio to the software a 2012 has?
I'LL be watching to see if you're successful .
wishing you luck

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
So if I were to get a different HU to achieve BT streaming which one would it be .I don't want to loose anything . I have the RER nav Xm turn by turn the works

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So if I were to get a different HU to achieve BT streaming which one would it be .I don't want to loose anything . I have the RER nav Xm turn by turn the works
Well, by the looks of things, 2011 and newer had the BT stream capability, regardless if they had the Uconnect module or not. (I'm quite sure only the touch screens had this function)

One thing to watch out for is 2011 and newer, they removed the "NAV" button, either or most radios or on them all. They will have a "nav" icon on the top right of the screen you can only see with the radio on.

So, looking at just photos, I'm not sure how you would be able to identify a radio with NAV or without, but the few i saw that had NAV didn't have the NAV button.

As I mentioned above, the BT stream wants to work, but the radio doesn't seem to recognize the function. It looks like you stream music in the "AUX" tab, and you can select the aux cord, or the BT audio stream on newer vans, so no wonder it won't work on my head unit.

I will update the database tomorrow if I get the chance for the MYGIG, fingers crossed it will be software that will make the BT stream work. I'll keep you updated.

·
Super Moderator
6,452 Posts

Interesting, so must be a software limitation. The REN was replaced by the RBZ, so maybe there are other changes they did to allow for BT streaming.

I bet you also need to replace your REN with an RBZ (430, no GPS) or RHB (430N, Garmin GPS)

You would need to get an RHR (730N) radio for a direct swap, as your RER has the BT built into it.

Well, by the looks of things, 2011 and newer had the BT stream capability, regardless if they had the Uconnect module or not. (I'm quite sure only the touch screens had this function)

One thing to watch out for is 2011 and newer, they removed the "NAV" button, either or most radios or on them all. They will have a "nav" icon on the top right of the screen you can only see with the radio on.

So, looking at just photos, I'm not sure how you would be able to identify a radio with NAV or without, but the few i saw that had NAV didn't have the NAV button.

As I mentioned above, the BT stream wants to work, but the radio doesn't seem to recognize the function. It looks like you stream music in the "AUX" tab, and you can select the aux cord, or the BT audio stream on newer vans, so no wonder it won't work on my head unit.

I will update the database tomorrow if I get the chance for the MYGIG, fingers crossed it will be software that will make the BT stream work. I'll keep you updated.
2011+ radios:

RBZ (430) no GPS
RHB (430N) Garmin GPS - soft GPS button
RHR (730N) GPS, BT built in - physical NAVI button on the faceplate.

See my thread here for details: Radio Information Thread

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
;)
Interesting, so must be a software limitation. The REN was replaced by the RBZ, so maybe there are other changes they did to allow for BT streaming.

I bet you also need to replace your REN with an RBZ (430, no GPS) or RHB (430N, Garmin GPS)

You would need to get an RHR (730N) radio for a direct swap, as your RER has the BT built into it.

2011+ radios:

RBZ (430) no GPS
RHB (430N) Garmin GPS - soft GPS button
RHR (730N) GPS, BT built in - physical NAVI button on the faceplate.

See my thread here for details: Radio Information Thread
Ok sounds good. Thanks I'm going to start keeping an eye out for the RHR 730N. I'm in no big hurry . Right now im not to anxious to tear the dash apart YET;)

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
;)
Ok sounds good. Thanks I'm going to start keeping an eye out for the RHR 730N. I'm in no big hurry . Right now im not to anxious to tear the dash apart YET;)
One more thing will this be plug and play ? Or is this a trip to the dealership?

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Will it also stream via BT ?
I have some unfortunate news :(

I updated my database to the latest version 9.292 from my old version, 9.112, and it really had no change on anything whatsoever. BT streaming still wants to play, my phone shows that BT is playing, and pauses the video trying to play but the REN doesn't allow it to play unfortunately :(

I 100% know that the radio is capable of BT steaming. It's just the software isn't there for it, and I'd update to a newer different radio software, but that's quite risky, as other things could become issues.

Looks like at this point, unless someone has already updated a REN radio to a newer radio software for 2011 or newer, such as a RBZ which I hear replaced the REN for 2011+, best bet is to buy a newer radio from 2011 or newer :(

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I updated my database to the latest version 9.292 from my old version, 9.112, and it really had no change on anything whatsoever. BT streaming still wants to play, my phone shows that BT is playing, and pauses the video trying to play but the REN doesn't allow it to play unfortunately :(

I 100% know that the radio is capable of BT steaming. It's just the software isn't there for it, and I'd update to a newer different radio software, but that's quite risky, as other things could become issues.

Looks like at this point, unless someone has already updated a REN radio to a newer radio software for 2011 or newer, such as a RBZ which I hear replaced the REN for 2011+, best bet is to buy a newer radio from 2011 or newer :(
Maybe, just maybe I could extract the files and compare an RBZ update file to the REN update file, find the BT section, and cut+replace the 2011+ RBZ BT data for the REN BT data.

Or maybe I'm just crazy. But this is just a matter of the radio not knowing what to do with the BT incoming signal from the Uconnect module. That's it.

·
Super Moderator
6,452 Posts

Yeah, that sounds about right. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
It also might be that head units from 08 till 11 are on a low speed BUS system. And from 12 on are on a high speed BUS system.

I dunno just did some research and reading before dropping 400 plus USD on a head unit . I came to the conclusion it might not be compatible. l

Someone prove me wrong because I really would like to have BT streaming what ever the costs from a factory HU

·
Super Moderator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
2,200 Posts
It also might be that head units from 08 till 11 are on a low speed BUS system. And from 12 on are on a high speed BUS system.

I dunno just did some research and reading before dropping 400 plus USD on a head unit . I came to the conclusion it might not be compatible. l

Someone prove me wrong because I really would like to have BT streaming what ever the costs from a factory HU
All the 5th generation vans have the high speed BUS.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts