The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my husband just replaced the fluid and filter on our 1994 Plymouth Grand Voyager 3.0L A604 4speed transmission. It's the second time since we bought the van back in December 2019. The first time he also changed the shift solenoid. Fluid level seems to be right and we're using the prescribed ATF+4. We noticed that now it downshifts roughly into 2nd and 1st gears when braking to stop after driving on the highway for quite a bit of time. After shutting it down and allowing it to cool, the problem is gone. It shifts up into each gear smoothly. I noticed that it doesn't shift down as hard if I coast most of the way to a stop. Engaging the brakes seems to make the downshift more noticeable. The van has 107,000+ miles on it and we are only the second owners. There is a shudder, but it has the shudder while parked, so I wonder if it's also got a misfire. I'm not sure the shudder is transmission related but my husband worries that the torque converter is going out. Can anyone help us figure out what to do next please?

·
Registered
974 Posts
are you sure it's a 1-2, and not a 4-3 shift?

what speed does the shift occur at?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, we thought it had worked itself out last week, but the rough downshift into 2nd and 1st gears happened again on Monday night when we got back into town after driving it an hour and a half away. It seems to happen most after driving on the highway for extended amounts of time and then coming to a stop off the highway. When we drive it around town, there is no hard downshift into 2nd and 1st gears. I will admit that after changing the transmission fluid and filter we did not get a chance to do a full retrain of the transmission. My husband drove it around the block once, I took it to a store nearby (didn't get above about 35 mph) and the next day we took it on the highway. He did a little research and thought our problem may have been not retraining the transmission after changing the fluid, however, now we're not so sure since it went away and came back. We can't really afford to send it to a shop right now because neither of us has a job thanks to Covid-19 and we need the minivan to be able to get our kids every other weekend; they live an hour and a half away. Any help, ideas, advice is appreciated.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,954 Posts
Why was the shift solenoid replaced? Leaking, or shifting malfunction?

You are on the right track with the relearn process, since there is new fluid and the pack was replaced the computer has to relearn the CVI's to shift smoothly. Maybe read up on the process "transmission quick learn" as there is a way to do it with a dealer scan tool, or a do-it-yourself method which would be right in your budget. (y)

I have a couple of newer vans (2000 and 2004) that have also done this rarely, and usually when cold. They both have around 200,000 miles on them though, so I think mine is a problem of worn accumulator (sonnax valve) seals. Hasn't done it in a long time, so not going to fix it yet.

Best of luck with your employment/support during these trying times!

·
Registered
94 Posts
So my husband just replaced the fluid and filter on our 1994 Plymouth Grand Voyager 3.0L A604 4speed transmission. It's the second time since we bought the van back in December 2019. The first time he also changed the shift solenoid. Fluid level seems to be right and we're using the prescribed ATF+4. We noticed that now it downshifts roughly into 2nd and 1st gears when braking to stop after driving on the highway for quite a bit of time. After shutting it down and allowing it to cool, the problem is gone. It shifts up into each gear smoothly. I noticed that it doesn't shift down as hard if I coast most of the way to a stop. Engaging the brakes seems to make the downshift more noticeable. The van has 107,000+ miles on it and we are only the second owners. There is a shudder, but it has the shudder while parked, so I wonder if it's also got a misfire. I'm not sure the shudder is transmission related but my husband worries that the torque converter is going out. Can anyone help us figure out what to do next please?
Based on my recollections, there are 2 sets of cables and linkages going to the throttle body; one from the accelerator pedal and the other to the transmission. If anything in either cable or linkage is "sticking," it will cause your problem. The sticking could also be influenced by temperature and be either better or worse when things are warm. I'd look very carefully in this area since it's a very cheap fix if it'll work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts