The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Dodge Grand Caravan
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife likes 'freeze your face' A/C. The other day she told me the A/C in the van was not working. I went to Autozone and recharged the system. A/C still not very cold, driver side gets cool on low fan but the passenger side does not. I check to be sure the compressor is spinning and it is cycling as it should. I can get hot heat but when turned to cool it just stops being hot but does not get cold. Haven't even tried to see what the rear air feels like yet. I have read some threads about actuators and suggestions of making sure the condenser is clean and the cabin filter is clean. This van does not have a cabin filter (took the glove box out only to find no removable filter. I'm working with my 2010 Grand Caravan with the 3.8. Has self adjust dual zone temperature controls. Before going so far as to pull those actuators and replace them (I see $15-$35 depending on which one) any other suggestions to take or would this be the easy (least expensive) next step? We are planning a 4hr drive up north for the holiday and I would like to be riding in a cool comfortable van. Thanks.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
437 Posts
On these vans, this is typically a result of one of the actuators being faulty, so you mention the passenger side, so it will be one of th 2 actuators on that side.

You will have to remove the glove boxes, and behind you will see a space between the blower intake housing and the climate housing. Within that space will be 2 actuators, replace one and see if that sorts your issue, if it's still present, replace the other one with the one you pulled out and see if that fixes it. It really should.

·
Registered
2010 Dodge Grand Caravan
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ll give it a try. Looking at RockAuto it looks like the same part fits all locations. If I’m wrong let me know.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
437 Posts
I’ll give it a try. Looking at RockAuto it looks like the same part fits all locations. If I’m wrong let me know.
I'm quite sure they are all the same, even auto climate and manual climate, front or rear, doesn't matter. I know this because i ripped my dash apart in the process of upgrading to auto climate.

·
Registered
2010 Dodge Grand Caravan
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I found online, there are two blending door actuators on the passenger side. One down lower that is just inside the lower glove box area. the second is a little higher up and maybe another 2" deeper in. The second actuator is for hot/cold the first for defrost, face, floor etc. Since my issue is with the temperature, I changed the second one. No change. I can get hot heat or less hot on the a/c. Not cold. Driver side isn't super cold but still much cooler than what I get out of the passenger side. So at this point I have recharged the system and changed the temperature blending door actuator. Any suggestions on the next step? I did not notice any draining on the carpeting while working on the actuators (so I don't think the evaporator is leaking). This van does not have a cabin air filter to check/replace. The condenser looks clean enough considering it's the first thing past the grill for bugs to slam into.

Just to restate, 2010 Grand Caravan 3.8 with dual zone manual temp.

On a side note the family is using the Malibu and the primary car right now and the wife is not happy, she really wants her van fixed. Any help is appreciated. I'm hoping there are still things I can check and do without needing to spend lots of money or taking it to a garage.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
437 Posts
From what I found online, there are two blending door actuators on the passenger side. One down lower that is just inside the lower glove box area. the second is a little higher up and maybe another 2" deeper in. The second actuator is for hot/cold the first for defrost, face, floor etc. Since my issue is with the temperature, I changed the second one. No change. I can get hot heat or less hot on the a/c. Not cold. Driver side isn't super cold but still much cooler than what I get out of the passenger side. So at this point I have recharged the system and changed the temperature blending door actuator. Any suggestions on the next step? I did not notice any draining on the carpeting while working on the actuators (so I don't think the evaporator is leaking). This van does not have a cabin air filter to check/replace. The condenser looks clean enough considering it's the first thing past the grill for bugs to slam into.

Just to restate, 2010 Grand Caravan 3.8 with dual zone manual temp.

On a side note the family is using the Malibu and the primary car right now and the wife is not happy, she really wants her van fixed. Any help is appreciated. I'm hoping there are still things I can check and do without needing to spend lots of money or taking it to a garage.
I will grab a photo of the HVAC unit itself as I have replaced it in my 09, it will be exactly the same as the one in your van.

It will most likely be the actuator itself as the wiring is quite hard to damage within that area, unless you had some mice or rodents that made their way under there, then that would become a possible issue. I have 4 working actuators that I don't need, if you lived closer I could give you one. Or you could go to a local junkyard with any 08-10 van, and grab an actuator from there, all the actuators are the same regardless of what doors they move, also regardless if it's manual single zone, manual tri-zone, or automatic tri-zone.

The Dodge journey from 09 until 10 will also have the exact same actuators. At this point, replacing the bad actuator is your best option, these things are not worth taking apart to rebuild as there are no re-build parts for them. You can find a junkyard and get one for 5$, you can buy new on Ebay or amazon for a bit more then that, or you can pay shipping and I send you one for free.

·
Registered
2010 Dodge Grand Caravan
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will grab a photo of the HVAC unit itself as I have replaced it in my 09, it will be exactly the same as the one in your van.

It will most likely be the actuator itself as the wiring is quite hard to damage within that area, unless you had some mice or rodents that made their way under there, then that would become a possible issue. I have 4 working actuators that I don't need, if you lived closer I could give you one. Or you could go to a local junkyard with any 08-10 van, and grab an actuator from there, all the actuators are the same regardless of what doors they move, also regardless if it's manual single zone, manual tri-zone, or automatic tri-zone.

The Dodge journey from 09 until 10 will also have the exact same actuators. At this point, replacing the bad actuator is your best option, these things are not worth taking apart to rebuild as there are no re-build parts for them. You can find a junkyard and get one for 5$, you can buy new on Ebay or amazon for a bit more then that, or you can pay shipping and I send you one for free.
I did replace the hot/cold actuator on the passenger side. No change in air temps coming out of the vents. I purchased my actuator new from RockAuto ($13.30 plus tax and shipping). The other actuator is working as the air will change from panel to floor to defrost, it's just the temp is off. Not cold, the driver side is cooler than the passenger side. Just looking at what my next option would be. May have to go get it tested with a die to see if there are pinhole leaks somewhere.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
437 Posts
I did replace the hot/cold actuator on the passenger side. No change in air temps coming out of the vents. I purchased my actuator new from RockAuto ($13.30 plus tax and shipping). The other actuator is working as the air will change from panel to floor to defrost, it's just the temp is off. Not cold, the driver side is cooler than the passenger side. Just looking at what my next option would be. May have to go get it tested with a die to see if there are pinhole leaks somewhere.
Automatic climate has an actuator test that moves all the actuators max one way, max other way (done by pressing and holding SYNC + AUTO until the re circulation light flashes), but I don't believe this is possible in the manual climate. Maybe another thing you should check is take out the actuator, and with the vehicle in the on position and climate on, see if the actuator moves when it's plugged in. It really should.

Also, the climate control panel sends a signal to the vehicle which then somehow does either hot, cold or a mix coming from the coil and heater core. That wire is called common door driver and common door driver 2. I'm quite sure common door driver 2 is the passenger side, I had issues of the driver side blowing maximum cold air and it was because of that common door driver wire. Not really any way to test though that I know of.

An advanced code reader would be great, because if it's not working, it will have a error code saying what isn't working, but it's not just any reader that can track this down.

·
Registered
2010 Dodge Grand Caravan
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, the climate control panel sends a signal to the vehicle which then somehow does either hot, cold or a mix coming from the coil and heater core. That wire is called common door driver and common door driver 2. I'm quite sure common door driver 2 is the passenger side, I had issues of the driver side blowing maximum cold air and it was because of that common door driver wire. Not really any way to test though that I know of.

An advanced code reader would be great, because if it's not working, it will have a error code saying what isn't working, but it's not just any reader that can track this down.
OK, so do you thin that even though there is no check engine light on that I could take it to Autozone to have them read the codes to see if they pick up the common door driver 2?

Also, where is this wire if it is an issue to fix (this is the first I've heard of it)?

Thanks for the help. I was also starting to think there may be issues with the blending doors inside the ducts. I've seen it before on another vehicle where the rod holding the doors broke so they would not function properly. This would mean pulling the dash all the way out. Not looking forward to that.

Reactions: Michalb

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
437 Posts
OK, so do you thin that even though there is no check engine light on that I could take it to Autozone to have them read the codes to see if they pick up the common door driver 2?

Also, where is this wire if it is an issue to fix (this is the first I've heard of it)?

Thanks for the help. I was also starting to think there may be issues with the blending doors inside the ducts. I've seen it before on another vehicle where the rod holding the doors broke so they would not function properly. This would mean pulling the dash all the way out. Not looking forward to that.
As long as they have a code reader that can see all vehicle codes then yes, they should be able to tell you what codes and what issue the vehicle has.

I don't think you will have the issue with the one wire, but if you do it will throw the code in the advanced code reader. I wasn't trying to scare you but I had that issue when I upgraded from manual climate to auto climate, and the symptom was that the driver side was blowing max cold air at all times, but could also change where the air blows. So that's quite similar to yours except it's warm/hot air instead.

I have removed the dash to figure my issue out, and it's a minor annoyance to remove everything but if you get a helper it's really not too bad, there's just a lot to do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts