The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,414 Posts
Well, after a year and a half of trips to the service dept, the A/C in the van has been working perfectly since my last post. I went back through the service records to make sure what we did because we did so much. The last thing we replaced was the TIPM, and I have had no problem (with that) since then.

The dealership is really going to need your guidance on this because even when I was able to take the van by when the blower wasn't working, as soon as I turned the vehicle off and back on (or they did), the issue would go away. Show them this thread and have them work from this.

Good luck!
We had our TIPM replaced for climate control (and wiper) issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Advice on what to tell the dealer for this problem

Our blower quits blowing although it still sounds like the motor is running and it seems to be cool. Ours seems to happen on long trips when you can't really turn the car on and back off.

We are waiting for our FOBIKs for the recall. Should I suggest that they change the WIN and the TIPM (I have no idea what either of those two things are)

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
2009 Chrysler Town and Country Touring

Possible related thread:

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sh...r-not-working?highlight=blower+quits+in+front

Symptom: Vehicle in normal operation mode. Outside Temps above 90 degree F. Vehicle is being driven in the city, all systems appear to be normal. Randomly, the Front Blower Motor will stop moving cold air. Rear A/C controls continue to work fine and cold air is blowing out well. No matter how many times (or position) the fan speed knob is moved, the front blower motor fails to respond. A/C system can be turned off and on multiple times, but the front blower fails to respond. Rear Blower follows commanded speeds.

If the vehicle is stopped, turned off, and restarted immediately the Front Blower begins working again just like normal. This problem occurs only randomly.

If anyone has experienced this, please post the resolution to this issue. The dealership is stumped (they saw it happen as the vehicle was taken there while it was doing this) and they are trying hard to find the issue.
UPDATE:

Well, the problem has returned right at two years, 11 months. Van is due for the TIPM replacement, WIN and Fobiks (Recalls). Will update again when all this is done and I hope this fixes the problem for the second time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did it again just now. Second time in 3 days. And it is hot - of course.....
I think it was somewhere on this forum that it was suggested to turn the front fan only 3/4 way up, not all they way up. Since I've done that the AC has not quit. Recently when I was getting an oil change at a Chrysler dealer, I mentioned the AC problem and the mechanic said that 'something' (I can't remember what it was) is freezing up and after a couple of hours when the 'something' warms up it works again. That has been my experience. The mechanic said there is no fix. Let us know if you find a solution.

Regarding the ignition recall, a friend got notice more than a year ago and still no part available. I got the letter in May and when I called again yesterday (I call monthly) to see if the part is available yet I was told they have no idea when or if the part will be available for my van.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I think it was somewhere on this forum that it was suggested to turn the front fan only 3/4 way up, not all they way up. Since I've done that the AC has not quit. Recently when I was getting an oil change at a Chrysler dealer, I mentioned the AC problem and the mechanic said that 'something' (I can't remember what it was) is freezing up and after a couple of hours when the 'something' warms up it works again. That has been my experience. The mechanic said there is no fix. Let us know if you find a solution..
That was me (post 12 above)...... I've had to go back to that again to keep it running for now....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you had any further developments on this issue? I've been fighting this all summer on our 2008 Touring, works great until about 45-60 minutes into a trip (sometimes less). The blower fan responds to control position, I've confirmed this visually, however no air is moved through the system. It is corrected briefly after a restart, but time that the vehicle has to sit needs to be at least 10-15 minutes.

Have not had any long trips to fully test 3/4 speed setting, though my wife said it quit on her the other day but she wasn't sure if fan was 3/4 or full speed.

We've had the FOB/WIN recall performed; appears that the TIPM recall did not affect 2008 MY.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
What about the AC drain? Has that been checked for blockages?

I would also do a good cleaning of the condenser fins to allow better airflow. Also make sure your cabin filter is ok.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you had any further developments on this issue? I've been fighting this all summer on our 2008 Touring, works great until about 45-60 minutes into a trip (sometimes less). The blower fan responds to control position, I've confirmed this visually, however no air is moved through the system. It is corrected briefly after a restart, but time that the vehicle has to sit needs to be at least 10-15 minutes.

Have not had any long trips to fully test 3/4 speed setting, though my wife said it quit on her the other day but she wasn't sure if fan was 3/4 or full speed.

We've had the FOB/WIN recall performed; appears that the TIPM recall did not affect 2008 MY.
I occasionally check with Chrysler dealer but still no 'fix' from them for the AC problem. I gave up on the dealer fix or finding one for myself so I do the 'solution' (3/4 fan) which works so I just stick with that to avoiding losing AC.

I finally got FOB/WIN replacement after waiting nearly 2 years. The dealer said they would call me when the unit for my vehicle came in but, being skeptical, I kept stopping at the dealer and asking. One day when I stopped in the unit was magically there but I never received a call.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My first thought was air filter, but this particular model did not come with one. An abundance of water on the garage floor tells me the drain is free. While it has not shown this particular symptom before, the system does have a history of a slow refrigerant leak that has eluded a find. After some research it is making perfect sense that the lower level may be causing the evaporator to freeze over restricting the airflow (see large puddle on garage floor while melting off). My next step is set the gauges on it and see where it stands, for now the 3/4 speed seems to be working.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
It doesn't sound like the same exact problem. In my case, the fan is not moving any air at all. One second, the fan is moving air at max speed, and then it just stops. No fan, no fan control - except the rear fan still works fine and follows commands from the controls up front. Front blower is completely off. Until "reboot". Then the front blower works fine - until it quits again.....

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Okay, I have found the problem.

ECU: TIPMCGW
Code: B10EC
Description: Blower Motor Control Circuit Overcurrent

In other words, the circuit breaker is tripping in the TIPM as I guessed before AND that's why running at 3/4 speed prevents the problem from happening.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Ours has worked fine since the fix. I wonder if your TIPM is tripping the circuit and resetting after the restart. Are you running your blower motor on Maximum? Maybe run the front fan on setting three (one below max) after it trips off (and after the reboot) and see if it runs longer or the issue goes away.....
So as I thought before, it's either the fan is drawing too much current OR the circuit breaker in the TIPM is going bad.

·
5000 Club
5,744 Posts
Sophie - "If you have read the previous posts in this thread, you will have seen that this is a long standing problem. Apparently Chrysler has no fix but a solution is to not turn the fan up all the way."

That would be true if Igna... had the same symptoms as the OP. As you have read the OPs system would die and come back just as yours is. Igna's system is just dead - a very common but different problem. Course another problem is he posted it on the wrong forum.

BTW - logic tells me if the system is experiencing high current draw, the primary component that can do that is the bower motor itself. That's usually caused by worn motor shaft bearings creating high rotation resistance forcing the motor to draw more current to keep spinning. Glad to see they actually have a code for it now.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
BTW - logic tells me if the system is experiencing high current draw, the primary component that can do that is the bower motor itself. That's usually caused by worn motor shaft bearings creating high rotation resistance forcing the motor to draw more current to keep spinning. Glad to see they actually have a code for it now.
That's what I thought too - but in winter the blower could run on high all day long and it doesn't trip. The engine bay stays much cooler in the winter compared to the summer temps so the TIPM circuit breaker is not "pre-heated" by the heat in the engine bay.

Having said that, the symptoms came back at the height of summertime. The dealership swapped out the blower motor and it seems to be working for now.

I would have liked to put an amp probe on the blower motor to see how much current it was drawing, but I never got to it. I agree with you on the motor - I just think the circuit breaker in the TIPM is right on the edge and the excessive heat of the engine bay just pushes the circuit breaker over the edge when the motor is on the edge too.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts