The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 Chrysler Town and Country Touring

Possible related thread:

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sh...r-not-working?highlight=blower+quits+in+front

Symptom: Vehicle in normal operation mode. Outside Temps above 90 degree F. Vehicle is being driven in the city, all systems appear to be normal. Randomly, the Front Blower Motor will stop moving cold air. Rear A/C controls continue to work fine and cold air is blowing out well. No matter how many times (or position) the fan speed knob is moved, the front blower motor fails to respond. A/C system can be turned off and on multiple times, but the front blower fails to respond. Rear Blower follows commanded speeds.

If the vehicle is stopped, turned off, and restarted immediately the Front Blower begins working again just like normal. This problem occurs only randomly.

If anyone has experienced this, please post the resolution to this issue. The dealership is stumped (they saw it happen as the vehicle was taken there while it was doing this) and they are trying hard to find the issue.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yes, my 2000 dgc 3.3 had intermittant front blower low speeds even tho it was on high. I simply replaced the blower motor with a pick a part one two weeks ago and that solved the problem. Now front blower blows at the correct speed on high or low

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, my 2000 dgc 3.3 had intermittant front blower low speeds even tho it was on high. I simply replaced the blower motor with a pick a part one two weeks ago and that solved the problem. Now front blower blows at the correct speed on high or low
Thanks, but different generation van (5th vs 3rd). This issue is most likely related to the TIPM or the BCM and/or a CAN bus issue..... Please note that the fan is not operational at intermittent speeds - It doesn't work at all when it stops and immediately starts working after a "reboot".....

·
Super Moderator
6,414 Posts
Thanks, but different generation van (5th vs 3rd). This issue is most likely related to the TIPM or the BCM and/or a CAN bus issue..... Please note that the fan is not operational at intermittent speeds - It doesn't work at all when it stops and immediately starts working after a "reboot".....
Yeah something in there probably. Wonder if there is something as simple as a loose connection?

·
Registered
67 Posts
It's happened to me 3-4 times (2008 GC) but not often enough that I've bothered trying to track it down. I just restart and it blows normally again. I'd love to know if someone has a fix though...

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The dealer has replaced the WIN module. We pick it up today. I will keep you posted on the outcome.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The WIN module has appeared to fix the problem. It appears that when the WIN has lost "sense" of the FOBIK, it randomly either shuts off the vehicle or turns off certain controls in the vehicle (as if the key has been removed).

I will continue to post over time to confirm the fix on this. Lot's of interconnectivity on these modules and really amazing how well they usually work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been dealing with this issue for over a year. 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. Front blowers don't work when back ones do. AC is still cooling. Turn van off, restart and everything works again. Maybe for minutes, maybe for days or weeks. Four different mechanics and dealers have looked at the problem. Have replaced blower motor resistor, blower motor, TIPM, taken out entire dash to look for loose wiring. Saw this thread last week and showed dealer who replaced WIN module last Thurs. Same problem recurred on Saturday. If the van didn't have a lifetime warranty, I would have gotten rid of the problem long before now.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Lot's of interconnectivity on these modules and really amazing how well they usually work.
You can thank Blackberry for that, apparently most of the car computer systems use QNX software owned by BBY.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Front blowers don't work when back ones do. Turn van off, restart and everything works again.
Intermittent faults are so hard to debug.
My front blower is intermittent, too. A thump on the blower housing gets it running, so I'm pretty sure that means poor motor contacts. Since you've already replaced your motor, that can be eliminated.
I'm not entirely clear about your description of the problem. When you say front doesn't work when back does, did you mean but instead? If the front stops when the back are turned on, I would suspect the computer. If you meant the front is intermittent, but the back works consistently, I'd suspect an intermittent wire.
However, if shutting the van off fixes it every time, then I'd definitely be thinking 'puter problem.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ours has worked fine since the fix. I wonder if your TIPM is tripping the circuit and resetting after the restart. Are you running your blower motor on Maximum? Maybe run the front fan on setting three (one below max) after it trips off (and after the reboot) and see if it runs longer or the issue goes away.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the exact same problem. I know you said that the WIN module seemed to have fixed the problem. I would like to know if it is still working ok? There was a later post that said they had showed this to the dealer and they replaced the WIN module but a couple of days later they had the same problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My wife is getting very heated about the air not working if you know what I mean ; )

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am having the exact same problem. I know you said that the WIN module seemed to have fixed the problem. I would like to know if it is still working ok? There was a later post that said they had showed this to the dealer and they replaced the WIN module but a couple of days later they had the same problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My wife is getting very heated about the air not working if you know what I mean ; )
Yep, still working fine. Did you try as I suggested? Run the blower motor on one setting below max after the first "trip"......

·
Registered
5 Posts
Problem still there, but much less frequent

It's been about six weeks since we replaced the WIN. To clarify, the rear blower always works. The front blower will come on and, if its going to quit, it will cycle off, back on and then off until I restart the van. It has quit at every speed-no one speed more than any other. Since we replaced the WIN, it has quit only 3-4 times. Livable, but frustrating.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fobiks?

No. We did not replace the FOBIK, but they were reprogrammed. A new "symptom" appeared yesterday. The blower control would randomly change from dash level air to the split flow (dash and floor) right before it would stop blowing. Again, stopping and restarting the van always resets the blower and it might work for a while or not ever go off at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any update? My 2010 T/C has done the same thing as the original post twice within 6 weeks...front fan suddenly stopped; AC still coming out of vents; rear AC and fan still working; turn engine off then back on and everything works momentarily then repeat problem; turn engine off; wait a couple of hours, start the van and everything is operational. I took the van to the dealer at which time the front fan was working again and the service manager and a mechanic said they've never heard of the problem and to bring the van back when the fan quits and leave it running. Problem is that both times it happened the dealership was closed (one time it was evening and the other on a Sunday afternoon). The WIN was replaced per recall in 2011. Any updates? Further ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Finally fixed!

Well, after a year and a half of trips to the service dept, the A/C in the van has been working perfectly since my last post. I went back through the service records to make sure what we did because we did so much. The last thing we replaced was the TIPM, and I have had no problem (with that) since then.

The dealership is really going to need your guidance on this because even when I was able to take the van by when the blower wasn't working, as soon as I turned the vehicle off and back on (or they did), the issue would go away. Show them this thread and have them work from this.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts