The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

A/C cold sometimes & not others

7K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  pgagator 
#1 ·
A/C problem - it doesn't always blow cold when I start it, but sometimes will misteriously start blowing cold after driving foe 20 to 60 minutes. It also did this crazy and speratic thing last fall, but then was fine this past summer. Not sure if its electrical, vacuum pressure, or malfunctioning part.

#2 ·
My A/C issues continue, but with new issues. I found that it needed freon, but as a rookie (but learning through lots of research) I did not know I could overfill it, which is exactly what I did. Towards the end of the third can a loud release of the pressure scared me as I thought it blew. I checked the pressure and it was off the charts over 100. I let tons out to get it in the green safe zone around 50 and it was fine for a month.

My clutch seems fine, but the compressor turns on and off. Sometimes the clutch kicks in trying to run the compressor but quickly shuts off, then tries again 30 seconds later. If I sit idling for a little while it kicks off (I assume to keep the jeep from overheating). It seems that either the compressor is going bad or it's freezing up, wondering if the filter/screen has a lot of junk that might need cleaning out. Yesterday and today the compressor won't stay on and the pressure built back up to the middle of the red zone around 80, so I let tons more out and got it back down to a safe reading of about 30, then the compressor shut off and the pressure immediately shot back up to about 80.

Help please..... does anyone know if a compressor is worth trying to change on my own or just let a pro do it. Not even sure how much a compressor cost or how much a pro would charge to do the job. Any ideas of suggestions???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.