The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'02 Town and Country, 3.8, 3 zone with ATC. I have replaced the compressor w/clutch (new), drier. and added oil (Pag 46) 6 oz., 46 oz. of R134a. The compressor clutch engages, however, the cooling fans don't come on. Also, the clutch stays engaged, all the time, and sets off the relief valve on the compressor. I have replaced the high pressure switch but the compressor still stays engaged. Cooling fans work at their 192 temp. Help needed...

·
Super Moderator
24,076 Posts
Stuck relay maybe?

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
It is just a wild guess that wipers are the same relay, but using the same principal of finding another system that uses the same relay.
Swap the relay and then see if the fault follow the part to the new system. I think the wiper relay is likely the same.*I would have to put a tape or a sharpie mark on the one I suspected. In my many years and exposure to aromatic glue, I gets confused easily....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is just a wild guess that wipers are the same relay, but using the same principal of finding another system that uses the same relay.
Swap the relay and then see if the fault follow the part to the new system. I think the wiper relay is likely the same.*I would have to put a tape or a sharpie mark on the one I suspected. In my many years and exposure to aromatic glue, I gets confused easily....
Last night I swapped the relays. The wipers worked fine with the "a/c" relay in the socket, and vise versa. However, I had left the key on while checking the wipers. When I inserted the relay into the a/c clutch socket, I noticed that there was a spark. I looked to see if the a/c was on and it was OFF. The clutch had engaged, also. So, the circuit is hot once the key is on accessory even with the a/c Off. Question...Now what?

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
What type of hvac control do you have in your van? /

Is it dual zone (passenger / driver) has its own control and you choose a temperature for each?
Or is it more like three knobs (fan speed, select vents, and cool - warm gradient knob)

Is there any chance the control is set for defrost? The compressor turns on when in defrost so it will dehumidify the air, whether you show the 'snow flake' (ac button) on or off.

'02 Town and Country, 3.8, 3 zone with ATC. ...
front left, front right, and rear ATC (Automatic Temperature Control)? So is it the digital control?

Is the rear control trying to make A/C while the front control is set to off?

I'm just throwing out suggestions as to perhaps why the compressor is clutched on when you believe the control is off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited by Moderator)
What type of hvac control do you have in your van? /

Is it dual zone (passenger / driver) has its own control and you choose a temperature for each?
Or is it more like three knobs (fan speed, select vents, and cool - warm gradient knob)

Is there any chance the control is set for defrost? The compressor turns on when in defrost so it will dehumidify the air, whether you show the 'snow flake' (ac button) on or off.

front left, front right, and rear ATC (Automatic Temperature Control)? So is it the digital control?

Is the rear control trying to make A/C while the front control is set to off?

I'm just throwing out suggestions as to perhaps why the compressor is clutched on when you believe the control is off.
All good questions.
ATC 3 zone. Driver, Pass.,Rear, Digital
I will go check for defrost and also check the rear control. Thank you so much for investing some time to help me find a solution. I will let you know the results.

·
Super Moderator
24,076 Posts
Something blocking the infrared sensor on your dash, if ATC?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Something blocking the infrared sensor on your dash, if ATC?
You wouldn't believe what I found...I turned all systems OFF. It still engaged! However, I started removing the relays and, voile, there I found the culprit. Someone had run a black wire from one of the other relays (jumped) to the a/c clutch relay. I just bought the van and don't know all the hidden "secrets". Like I said, Thanks for your patience and help. I will let you know more, soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You wouldn't believe what I found...I turned all systems OFF. It still engaged! However, I started removing the relays and, voile, there I found the culprit. Someone had run a black wire from one of the other relays (jumped) to the a/c clutch relay. I just bought the van and don't know all the hidden "secrets". Like I said, Thanks for your patience and help. I will let you know more, soon.
I looked up the location where they had it run and it's the 86 slot where it was at (coil battery) but it was grounded at the strut nut.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
...However, I started removing the relays and, voile, there I found the culprit. Someone had run a black wire from one of the other relays (jumped) to the a/c clutch relay. I just bought the van and don't know all the hidden "secrets". ...
Some of these vans (and other Mopar products too) have a condition with the IPM (Integrated Power Module) basically it is that fuse and relay box.

So perhaps the jumper wire was a work around because of that. Do a YouTube search on IPM or TIPM (totally integrated pm [ later years, newer ]).
Basically when there are electrical anomalies, many times the fault is found under the IPM in the form of contacts pushed out of position, corrosion, disconnected wires, etc...

If you were to release a couple of clips around that fuse box, it will reveal a bunch of multi wire plugs that warrant inspection.

Watch a video, I make it sound scary, but it is really just a thing....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts