The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I went through a multitude of problems from it dying out on the road last year. I ended up fixing it myself, but over the 3 month period of diagnosing and repair, I ended up taking it to two other shops to see if they could help diagnosing it. The first shop broke the plastic dash pieces and shorted out my stereo wiring ruining my stereo' The second shop (a friend of my boss) still didn't fix it. but I ended up with another problem.With the engine running most all of the buttons on the a/c and heat control flash off and on in unison.All the functions work but you need to guess what is turned on or off. If you keep driving for over 30 minutes or so the lights go back to normal . None of the other lights do this. It's slower than turn signal speed.
The first garage wired the voltage regulator external and not to go through computer.The lights were ok then. The second garage put the wiring stock and had the pcm checked as I had already replaced it. When I picked it up from him then the lights were flashing.Then I made it 1/2 way home and it died again with the 3rd bad cam position sensor. It's taken 8 crank position sensors and a engine harness rebuild.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,566 Posts
So, you fixed it or not?

Sounds like an alternator problem.

If not fixed, disconnect the altrrnator plug and go around the block, if problems stop, then replace alternator.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, you fixed it or not?

If not fixed, disconnect the altrrnator plug and go around the block, if problems stop, then replace alternator.
Thanks
So, you fixed it or not?

I replaced the alternator the week after I got it back from the last shop I had it. It went bad. I can't find the voltage source for those lights.
The book shows panel lights but not the source for those lights. I'm guessing it may be internal or to the pcm or bcm?
At that last shop he rewired the alternator to get rid of the external regulator from the first shop I had it and wired it back to the pcm.
I didn't make it home as the cam position sensor quit and set a code this time..My curiosity is why they quit flashing after driving for a half hour? Then they all work ok.
I may try to find a used panel.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,566 Posts
Thanks

I replaced the alternator the week after I got it back from the last shop I had it. It went bad. I can't find the voltage source for those lights.
The book shows panel lights but not the source for those lights. I'm guessing it may be internal or to the pcm or bcm?
At that last shop he rewired the alternator to get rid of the external regulator from the first shop I had it and wired it back to the pcm.
I didn't make it home as the cam position sensor quit and set a code this time..My curiosity is why they quit flashing after driving for a half hour? Then they all work ok.
I may try to find a used panel.
Just for the fun of it, disconnect (unplug) the alternator and run the engine like that to see if that helps.

Bad diodes causes that kind of problems.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried un plugging the alternator and they still pulsate. I ordered a used one from e bay.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sounds like it might be something to do with the calibration feature. Does it flash like in this video?:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like it might be something to do with the calibration feature. Does it flash like in this video?:
Yes it does flash like that, mine both rear wipers flash also. Thanks for the amazing video. I couldn't follow it very well As I could get no sound.
I could follow it by pushing the same buttons maybe, or going to u tube. I would have never thought that would be a calibration..

·
5000 Club
5,716 Posts
"most all of the buttons on the a/c and heat control flash off and on in unison." That statement was keeping me away. If it is indeed just the two calibration lights flashing then it means someone somehow engaged the HVAC calibration test and it failed. The lights do turn off after 20-30 minutes as you are seeing. If your A/C system's refrigerant was depleted or for whatever reason the A/C wasn't working it will fail the calibration every time. The only way to get rid of the lights that I know of is to repair the A/C system and redo the calibration until it passes meaning a single blinking light as in the video. The HVAC controller in the HVAC control panel has to sence a temperature change from the temp sensor on the A/C evaporator. No temp change no pass.

How do I know this? I had known for years (because of this forum) if you do the test with a dead A/C you get the lights forever. Bonehead me did exactly that one day. That was 6-8 years ago. I live with the lights.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts