The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well, if I'd take a chance on remaned, it would definitely be factory remaned. Given the reputation of these transmissions for being weak, I would personally try to avoid anything but new from a reputable brand if not Mopar.

I'm just surprised no one else has jumped in to help. Guess they see me posting excerpts from the manual and are like "He gots this." Don't mind helping out as much as I can. But after 2 weeks of this, I know we both hope it's over.
Was fun while it lasted, issue started coming back intermittently but would clear up after restarting the vehicle, would shift normally for a few then randomly drop into limp mode again. Scanned for codes and the usual P0765 brought a friend this time, dunno if it's an isolated incident or something more serious. The battle continues

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
820 Posts
Dang, was hoping it was sorted.

Before you open it back up, I found a resistance test for the solenoids and pressure switches. (UD solenoid is the one throwing your code) To be sure you get an accurate reading, remember to subtract the resistance when you touch your multimeter probes together from the resistance you measure on the trans. This would be a good way to tell if the remaned solenoids were electrically okay, but you'd have to open it up to test if they are mechanically operational.

On this page I found some videos that might be helpful. 1st one is just a fluid change, you already know that.

2nd one is common issues. After he brings out the solenoid pack/valve body assembly he talks about a piece that is commonly reinstalled backwards, make sure you didn't do that.

3rd is an in depth technical discussion of the 62TE. It's long, but there is some useful data in there about CVIs and other stuff.

4th is just a guy showing his trans making noise. Doubt it's anything like the noise you said you had, so probably not useful. If yours does sound like this, his fix was a fluid and filter change.

Reactions: 2009TCL4

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Appreciate the links, I'll check them out. I've been checking out the AlfaOBD app thoroughly and I'm only on the demo still, but might spring for the full version as it seems to have the ability to activate solenoids on command. But my curiosity is peaked that I haven't had any luck connecting to the transmission module though I've been able to connect to all the other ones. I'm not sure if communication is disabled due to limp mode as I understand the TIPM deactivates the relay in event limp mode is triggered but makes me wonder. Appreciate the help, I'll keep ya apprised if I find out more.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
820 Posts
Try clearing your codes, cycling the key, and then try to connect to it.

If that doesn't do it you can try the battery lobotomy trick (hard reset). Disconnect one of the terminals and hold it to the other for a while.

You should now be out of limp mode. If you still can't connect after that, disconnect the connector from the transmission and try to connect. If you can connect then, your solenoid pack or wiring to it is bad. If you still can't connect, you may have a PCM problem.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Try clearing your codes, cycling the key, and then try to connect to it.

If that doesn't do it you can try the battery lobotomy trick (hard reset). Disconnect one of the terminals and hold it to the other for a while.

You should now be out of limp mode. If you still can't connect after that, disconnect the connector from the transmission and try to connect. If you can connect then, your solenoid pack or wiring to it is bad. If you still can't connect, you may have a PCM problem.
Is there even a transmission module I wonder? I'll try out what you suggested, I'm just wondering since the TCM/PCM are married in the same box in the fender I think

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
820 Posts
TCM and PCM are in the same case, but are technically separate computers. Not sure how they are laid out in there. Might be separate boards, or could be on the same board. Doubt you'd be able to replace just the TCM in either case.

Taking a look in AlfaOBD, there are 2 Gearbox versions that could apply to yours: 07-10 and 09-11. You are trying both?

And I actually remember having issues reading anything but engine with my cheap ELM327 adapter. Once I got the recommended OBDlink MX I was able to communicate with everything. Definitely should rule that out first. Pretty sure someone said BlueDriver works as well. I think any "big name" OBD adapter should work, but haven't heard anything on others like Fixd or BAFX.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
TCM and PCM are in the same case, but are technically separate computers. Not sure how they are laid out in there. Might be separate boards, or could be on the same board. Doubt you'd be able to replace just the TCM in either case.

Taking a look in AlfaOBD, there are 2 Gearbox versions that could apply to yours: 07-10 and 09-11. You are trying both?

And I actually remember having issues reading anything but engine with my cheap ELM327 adapter. Once I got the recommended OBDlink MX I was able to communicate with everything. Definitely should rule that out first. Pretty sure someone said BlueDriver works as well. I think any "big name" OBD adapter should work, but haven't heard anything on others like Fixd or BAFX.
Mine is the BAFX one, seems to work well enough and reads most all the modules. I tried again with both JScan and AlfaOBD after clearing all codes and verified the trans wasn't in limp, neither could access the trans module. You have AlfaOBD yes? Does yours read the trans module? Tried all the Ultradrive options in AlfaOBD

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,948 Posts
Wix has had some issues with filters that filter too good. :p Specifically oil filters for the Pentastar. They would actually cause low oil pressure beyond the filter.

A WIX filter triggered a D06DD code on my 2012 C. T&C.

Oil pressure was never low, as a matter of fact, I drove over 1,000 miles before fixing that problem.

I took my vehicle to the dealer, they wanted to replace the oil pump. Since oil pressure was normal, I just keept driving it, until I took my van to a Mexican dealer (Chrysler dealer, that is) for unrelated service.

They noticed the CEL on and without asking, they changed oil and filter and told me I had the wrong filter (wrong brand).

CEL was still on when I got the vehicle but was told it should reset itself within a couple of hundred kilometers, it did.

I still don't know what triggered the P06DD code, but it wasn't a low oil pressure for sure.

I did what I always tell people not to do. To change fluids right before a trip, but my engine oil was very close to 3000 miles and I didn't wanted to make that trip with such an old oil.

I have never seen anybody claim their filter caused low oil pressure, only that they got that code but it haven't been explained what actually triggered that code.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
A WIX filter triggered a D06DD code on my 2012 C. T&C.

Oil pressure was never low, as a matter of fact, I drove over 1,000 miles before fixing that problem.

I took my vehicle to the dealer, they wanted to replace the oil pump. Since oil pressure was normal, I just keept driving it, until I took my van to a Mexican dealer (Chrysler dealer, that is) for unrelated service.

They noticed the CEL on and without asking, they changed oil and filter and told me I had the wrong filter (wrong brand).

CEL was still on when I got the vehicle but was told it should reset itself within a couple of hundred kilometers, it did.

I still don't know what triggered the P06DD code, but it wasn't a low oil pressure for sure.

I did what I always tell people not to do. To change fluids right before a trip, but my engine oil was very close to 3000 miles and I didn't wanted to make that trip with such an old oil.

I have never seen anybody claim their filter caused low oil pressure, only that they got that code but it haven't been explained what actually triggered that code.
Appreciate it, I thought Wix was a reputable brand but am now reconsidering that assessment. I suppose my issue could be in part due to the Wix transmission filter I installed

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,948 Posts
Appreciate it, I thought Wix was a reputable brand but am now reconsidering that assessment. I suppose my issue could be in part due to the Wix transmission filter I installed
I don't believe Wix transmission filters are problematic, only engine filters.

But do your research to see if anybody else has issues with transmission filters.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
What kinda wire is that with the blue one going into the clear plastic, not sure what it's called. Looks like 2 wires go into it.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
820 Posts
You'll have to track it down to the pin to be certain. It looks like a factory splice, but I haven't seen that section of the harness outside the loom. It might be the main power circuit, that's the only thing that should have multiple ends going to that connector.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Not much to add today though I've discovered that there's no separate transmission module on these, guess transmission functions are integrated in the PCM. I knew they were married in the same box but didn't know about the lack of transmission module.

Just preparing to remove the valve body again, it's excessively hot and I'd be doing it in my driveway but since there's no cooling down in sight I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet on the heat and get it done. The problem is still intermittent and completely random in occurrence. Never was able to find a wiring fault after some testing and the only other hint I have to go on is those weird noises I've heard around the valve body area a couple times so I guess we'll see. But now I know the solenoids are tested at key-on before you even crank the engine so will definitely make sure the PCM is happy with the result before I bolt it back up

21 - 33 of 33 Posts